PDA

View Full Version : bigger speakers or add more speakers?

canadiankush
12-05-2013, 06:35 AM
I have a set of 6" JL C2 components running off a Phoenix gold sapphire 1.4x in my Reg. cab Ford Ranger and it's not loud enough. I'm gonna be ordering some sound deadening and a new amp and i'm wondering if i should upgrade to some bigger speakers or add more woofers or coaxials?

Jeffdachef
12-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Do the deadening first and see how you like it then if its not enough, upgrade the amp and it its still not enough to jl C5s if you want to stay in the JL family and get full power to them, it should sound loud enough with good sound quality. If you want ear-bleeding loud as balls, your gonna need something else completely.

canadiankush
12-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Do the deadening first and see how you like it then if its not enough, upgrade the amp and it its still not enough to jl C5s if you want to stay in the JL family and get full power to them, it should sound loud enough with good sound quality. If you want ear-bleeding loud as balls, your gonna need something else completely.

Ya i'll try some sound deadening and a new amp first. Don't know If I want to stay with JL speakers as the c2's are a bit harsh, I'm not looking for extremely loud just loud enough to have the windows down while soundin good

Side Show
12-05-2013, 11:28 PM
send them more power, and deaden your doors/car

canadiankush
12-05-2013, 11:41 PM
send them more power, and deaden your doors/car

They're running on 120x2 rms with gains set low, 60w more then rated

Side Show
12-05-2013, 11:58 PM
oh, that should be plenty of pwr

Slo_Ride
12-06-2013, 12:04 AM
more power more speakers equals more db's

Jeffdachef
12-06-2013, 03:01 AM
Ya i'll try some sound deadening and a new amp first. Don't know If I want to stay with JL speakers as the c2's are a bit harsh, I'm not looking for extremely loud just loud enough to have the windows down while soundin good

They're running on 120x2 rms with gains set low, 60w more then rated

havent heard the c2s but the C5s are buttery smooth mids and very tamed and detailed tweets not a bad set if you can get it for under 200. with 120 rms to each side, you should have more then enough power to make speakers sing while going 75 on the highway, but then again i never heard the C2s

canadiankush
12-06-2013, 10:17 PM
more power more speakers equals more db's

Lol I'm well aware, that's why I asking if I should add more or get better speakers

havent heard the c2s but the C5s are buttery smooth mids and very tamed and detailed tweets not a bad set if you can get it for under 200. with 120 rms to each side, you should have more then enough power to make speakers sing while going 75 on the highway, but then again i never heard the C2s

120rms? says they're rated for 75w each? Maybe I can tune mine better, got any tips or how to's on setting the eq's?

Jeffdachef
12-07-2013, 04:03 AM
120rms? says they're rated for 75w each? Maybe I can tune mine better, got any tips or how to's on setting the eq's?

miscommunication, i thought you had 120 rms going to EACH side, not 120 rms total, yeah more power would help with clarity. how's your EQ settings looking like now?

canadiankush
12-08-2013, 02:24 AM
miscommunication, i thought you had 120 rms going to EACH side, not 120 rms total, yeah more power would help with clarity. how's your EQ settings looking like now?

Oh, you are right, i do have 120rms going to each speaker. Headunit EQ is low at 200hz, mid at 1.5khz and high at 12.5khz, amp is set around 200hz

Slo_Ride
12-08-2013, 02:33 AM
Lol I'm well aware, that's why I asking if I should add more or get better speakers

add more speakers