PDA

View Full Version : Subs not quite loud enough, should I build a new box? Bandpass maybe?

cashmonkey38
11-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Hey guys, for reference here's the info on my set up first (question is just about my subs): Big three upgrade, all power/ground for everything is 0/1 gauge everything done properly, etc. 250 amp alternator, extra battery, system's got enough power going to it. Subs are two 12" Rockford Fosgate T2D212's 1200w RMS each, driven by a Kicker ZX2500.1 which is 2500w RMS at 2 ohms which is what the sub are wired to.

So! My issue is that I feel that these subs should be louder than they are - they are fairly loud right now, but I have had this set up in another vehicle and the subs were uncomfortably loud at high volume (which I enjoyed) where as right now they are just loud. In the other vehicle they were in a custom box built into the trunk of my old car (1986 420 SEL Mercedes) The box they are in now is a custom box I built based on the specs someone gave me and said would be good for the subs. Specs on the box I have the subs in now are: after displacement and what not, 2 cubes exactly internal, ported and tuned to about 30-32hz, port is 3"x12" slot (sealed all the corners so no leaks or anything else, built solid). The car I have them in now is an 04 Mercury Marauder, if you're not familiar it's very similar to a Crown Vic.

I don't know much about bandpass boxes, other than how you build them determines what they will do as far as "loudness" goes, so if I'm going for something that's going to sound and shake as loudly as possible, what would the best route be? Bandpass? Or is the ported box I have just not built to the right specs? Any input appreciated - I'll paste the specs for my subs below as well. Thanks!

Power Handling (Watts RMS): 1200 Watts RMS
2400 Watts Max
Voice Coil Diameter: 4.0" (101 mm)
Magnet Weight (oz): 292 oz. (8.28 kg.)
Speaker Connector: Compression Terminal
Fs (Hz): 38.7
Re (Ohms): 3.4
Le (mH): 1.64
Qms: 5.15
Qes: 0.54
Qts: 0.49
Vas (Liters): 13.6
Sd (cm2): 430
SPL (dB @ 1w/1m): 83.5
Xmax (mm): 22.32
Woofer Displacement (in): 0.151 cu.ft. (4.28 Liters)

cashmonkey38
11-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Also an afterthought, the subs were noticably louder before I put the backseats back into the car (so when they were out there was a direct passageway from trunk to main cabin of car) I remember on a previous system I had the guys did the port into the cabin of the car to make it louder, so should I pursue this as well? Thanks lol

Lowlacs
11-28-2013, 02:48 PM
I would suppose the Marauder is like the Gran Marquis, Roadmaster and some cadillacs, they are designed to have a quiet cabin for rider comfort. Ive had several of these cars that required a portal to be cut in the rear dash to "unlock the Bass". This is the price u pay for luxury. Its a simple fix though it is frustrating sometimes.

azimuth
11-29-2013, 11:10 AM
You have 2 cubes per sub, right? Making your box 4 cubes total. Just clarifying.

cashmonkey38
11-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Thanks lowlacs, I'll try that. The factory sub has an opening into the cab so I'll take it out and see if that helps.

hatemonger it's 2 cubes total for both subs, they're in the same chamber

cashmonkey38
12-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Bump

bbeljefe
12-01-2013, 03:30 PM
That box is too small for two of those subs and, the port is not large enough.

You should have ~2 cubes net for each sub and ~42inē of port area.

As 4th orders go, you could do one and it would be loud as hell but it would also be huge.

Loudmp5
12-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Yup box is waaayy to small and port waaaayyy to small lol

cashmonkey38
12-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Lol fantastic, ok well thanks for the replies, does anyone have someone I could contact to design a box for these, since I obviously don't know what I'm doing?

jrdnhsnbrg
12-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Buck ;

hispls
12-02-2013, 06:50 PM
I would suppose the Marauder is like the Gran Marquis, Roadmaster and some cadillacs, they are designed to have a quiet cabin for rider comfort. Ive had several of these cars that required a portal to be cut in the rear dash to "unlock the Bass". This is the price u pay for luxury. Its a simple fix though it is frustrating sometimes.

This. Those higher end Ford sedans are so tough to get any output out of the trunk. You'll have to get very creative. Also some high end subs in a bigger and higher tuned box would help, but mostly you'll need to start carving out metal and deadening between the trunk and cabin to gain or going crazy with a bandpass ported up through the rear dash or something.