PDA

View Full Version : How do I determine the largest enclosure that can possibly fit into my trunk

adjetta
11-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Okay, my question is simply this, what parameters do i need to measure to determine the maximum width, height, and depth of an enclosure can be while still sliding into my trunk.

The box is going into a 2002 Infiniti I35 (same as 00-04 maxima)

The trunk looks like this26545996

It is roughly 34 inches deep, 18-19 inches high, and 40 inches between the hinges

the trunk opening is tricky its 35 inches wide at the bottom, but gets progressively wider up top ending at 38 inches, the straight line gap between bottom to top is 19.5 inches

trunk possible box volume
width:38" max
height: 18" max
depth:31" max

I know its a cluster f, but can anyone help me understand how to figure this out, I would be grateful

jrdnhsnbrg
11-25-2013, 05:03 PM
By making cardboard cutouts and seeing if it fits

adjetta
11-25-2013, 08:08 PM
**** I was hoping there was a better way lol

plugger
11-25-2013, 08:25 PM
because its so hard to cut cardboard right jk

mlstrass
11-26-2013, 03:19 AM
I prefer building a frame out of 1x2's as cardboard is too easy to flex past tight spots...

NASTY08IMPALA
11-26-2013, 03:54 AM
I prefer building a frame out of 1x2's as cardboard is too easy to flex past tight spots...

not the **** i use ..i work at a corrugated box plant so i use 90lb board or doublewall ...no flex...op im in louisville too ..of you want me to get you some board i might be able.to

NASTY08IMPALA
11-26-2013, 03:59 AM
and i bet once.you mock one up you will be amazed at how diff the actual max dimensions are

NASTY08IMPALA
11-26-2013, 04:02 AM
also what size sub(s) are you trying to run

BAPEKC
11-26-2013, 05:10 AM
IN for this.

adjetta
11-26-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm trying to build the biggest box for one single 18, likely a sundown 18" zv4, lol nasty i know the cardboard that you speak of, we occasionally get it on the bottoms of pallets at my work, would i be able to just cut the side of the box out and see it will fit withou bottoming out or hitting top

bbeljefe
11-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Take the dimensions of where the box will sit permanently and then measure the void behind the wheel well against the opposite trunk opening and see if that dimension is larger. If it is, then you can fit the box. If not, consider making the box narrow enough to fit through the trunk width and then make up the difference in depth.

Of course, the latter option will likely interfere with your spare tire access and if so, then consider smaller subs. ;-)

jrdnhsnbrg
11-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Take the dimensions of where the box will sit permanently and then measure the void behind the wheel well against the opposite trunk opening and see if that dimension is larger. If it is, then you can fit the box. If not, consider making the box narrow enough to fit through the trunk width and then make up the difference in depth.

Of course, the latter option will likely interfere with your spare tire access and if so, then consider smaller subs. ;-)

I can't get to my spare tire without pulling my whole system apart... I'm just gonna put it behind the passenger seat and hide my battery and wiring under there, I can't open my right rear door anyway.

bubbagumper6
11-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Build it.
Check fit.
Retrofit/Modify as necessary...

haha that's been my my strategy (not that it's served me that well)

jrdnhsnbrg
11-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Build it.
Check fit.
Retrofit/Modify as necessary...

haha that's been my my strategy (not that it's served me that well)

My box barely fit, it took me, my dad, and my grandpa all pushing on different pieces of carpeting in my trunk to get the box to slide in.

NASTY08IMPALA
11-26-2013, 11:43 AM
I'm trying to build the biggest box for one single 18, likely a sundown 18" zv4, lol nasty i know the cardboard that you speak of, we occasionally get it on the bottoms of pallets at my work, would i be able to just cut the side of the box out and see it will fit withou bottoming out or hitting top

you can cut the side to get a idea of height and depth ..but id advise mocking one up usin carboard and tape ...make it lil bigger than u think will fit ..and the try it ..then if it doesnt fit cut a lil off and try again..repeat ..its really the best way to know. a box will fit

NASTY08IMPALA
11-26-2013, 11:44 AM

if op is wanting a 18 in his trunk spare tire acess is long out the window..hell i have no acess at all with a pair of 12s

jrdnhsnbrg
11-26-2013, 11:45 AM
if op is wanting a 18 in his trunk spare tire acess is long out the window..hell i have no acess at all with a pair of 12s

Single 12... No access, but my box is overkill and I love it like a child

bubbagumper6
11-26-2013, 11:50 AM
My box barely fit, it took me, my dad, and my grandpa all pushing on different pieces of carpeting in my trunk to get the box to slide in.

I built a fairly large enclosure once that was so far away from fitting we had to completely scrap it and start over.

My last large one would fit but you had to remove the rear seats and all plastic panels from the B-pillar back in order to get it in (then reinstall in reverse). It did have a minor issue with the slanted back seats and bottom of the enclosure (it was wedge shaped) but we just cut off the point with a circular saw and put a strip of wood in the slot to seal it up. Maybe lost .1 cuft (not enough to affect tuning) and she fits like a glove now, haha.

jrdnhsnbrg
11-26-2013, 11:54 AM
I built a fairly large enclosure once that was so far away from fitting we had to completely scrap it and start over.

My last large one would fit but you had to remove the rear seats and all plastic panels from the B-pillar back in order to get it in (then reinstall in reverse). It did have a minor issue with the slanted back seats and bottom of the enclosure (it was wedge shaped) but we just cut off the point with a circular saw and put a strip of wood in the slot to seal it up. Maybe lost .1 cuft (not enough to affect tuning) and she fits like a glove now, haha.

Oh, the things we go through to have a subwoofer...

adjetta
11-26-2013, 12:15 PM
I remember kicking an 8.5 cubic foot box into the the trunk of a 98 jetta, good thing it was 1"mdf, otherwise it wouldn't have made it

adjetta
11-26-2013, 12:33 PM
okay so i had a piece of peg board and i cut it to be roughly the same size as my box bottom and i slid it into the trunk until it bottomed out and measured from that point to the lowest point of the trunk roof, not sure if thats accurate but maybe it will give me a a good idea

bbeljefe
11-26-2013, 11:26 PM

Um.... DUH.

I guess I missed the whole part about it being an 18". Thanks for pointing that out. :-)