PDA

View Full Version : adding a port to a sealed box?

supra1987
11-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Okay.I have a jl audio power wedge sealed box(2 individual sides)for two 10W3v3 subs.my question is would it be illogical to just cut out some maybe 4 inch holes in the back and add 4 inch(larger or smaller,haven't gotten to the tuning part of the question yet) pvc pipe at a certain length in the box and out?reason being I want to deatroy said box is because it fits perfectly in hatchback area of my car and I think it might work ported.don't know for sure.hence the question.any input will be appreciated.thanks

ptcruiser07
11-23-2013, 07:27 PM
lota math goes into ported boxes u not gona like what u get if u do that..no way to tune it correctly

audiobaun
11-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Okay.I have a jl audio power wedge sealed box(2 individual sides)for two 10W3v3 subs.my question is would it be illogical to just cut out some maybe 4 inch holes in the back and add 4 inch(larger or smaller,haven't gotten to the tuning part of the question yet) pvc pipe at a certain length in the box and out?reason being I want to deatroy said box is because it fits perfectly in hatchback area of my car and I think it might work ported.don't know for sure.hence the question.any input will be appreciated.thanks

You can try it out.Experiencing things never hurts, and is how we all get information on what works and doesn't from the norm/realm of things.Ive done it several times, and still do from time to time.i cut a hole for the size tube I want to use/pvc,bottom it out,and keep bringing it up till I like the sound, mark it,cut it off, and place it back it,and silicone around it,so if I want to remove later on,I can,and if I don't like it, Seal that hole back up.easy enough.Never hurts to experiment from time to time man,especially for something as this,that cant harm much if any,yet possibly benefit in some way,and save money in the process.So, I say...Why not??

audiobaun
11-23-2013, 07:43 PM
lota math goes into ported boxes u not gona like what u get if u do that..no way to tune it correctly

Math doesn't always work for us,yet it is helpful and safe by most means. Experiencing should always be welcomed to any.Never hurts to experiment,and it can be sealed back off to stock if he chooses.No harm there right?

winkychevelle
11-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Um considering the enclosure volume would need to double no this wouldnt work well. Yes you can make it louder but it would be extremely peaky and sound bad.

ptcruiser07
11-23-2013, 07:56 PM
just build a simple ported box many people on here can help u with it...

Side Show
11-25-2013, 12:01 AM
most pre-fab boxes have small terminal cups on the sides, take those out and run the wires straight to the sub, see how you like the soun d of that, if it sounds worse put the terminal cup back in. this isn't the correct way of porting a box but it can give you an idea of what sorta difference in sound you may receive by going ported

T3mpest
12-07-2013, 05:46 PM
most pre-fab boxes have small terminal cups on the sides, take those out and run the wires straight to the sub, see how you like the soun d of that, if it sounds worse put the terminal cup back in. this isn't the correct way of porting a box but it can give you an idea of what sorta difference in sound you may receive by going ported

Are you joking? You do realize a port isn't a hole in a box right? Unless that terminal cup cutout is also several inches deep it's not going to tune to anythigng useable. Unless you meant sticking PVC in that, which is a great idea, but I want to make sure as if he does just what you said, it WILL ****.

bbeljefe
12-10-2013, 12:57 AM
Are you joking? You do realize a port isn't a hole in a box right? Unless that terminal cup cutout is also several inches deep it's not going to tune to anythigng useable. Unless you meant sticking PVC in that, which is a great idea, but I want to make sure as if he does just what you said, it WILL ****.

To be annoyingly accurate, it would be tuned. It's just that a 1 7/8" X 5/8 or 3/4" long port in, say, a 1 cube box would net ~110 Hz tuning. Definitely not a test that would present any sort of desirable real world result but it is tuning none the less.

And shoving pipe into the terminal cup hole in a prefab box would also force the port area to be so small as to create hella port noize. So again... not a good idea at all. Unless it's a prefab box with 3 7/8" terminal cups. ;-)

Side Show
12-10-2013, 01:41 AM
usually use cardboard tube

Side Show
12-10-2013, 01:42 AM
prefab **** .

T3mpest
12-10-2013, 02:50 PM
To be annoyingly accurate, it would be tuned. It's just that a 1 7/8" X 5/8 or 3/4" long port in, say, a 1 cube box would net ~110 Hz tuning. Definitely not a test that would present any sort of desirable real world result but it is tuning none the less.

And shoving pipe into the terminal cup hole in a prefab box would also force the port area to be so small as to create hella port noize. So again... not a good idea at all. Unless it's a prefab box with 3 7/8" terminal cups. ;-)

That's why I said not tuned to be anything useable, I fully realize it will tune to a high frequency lol. I rarely use terminal cups and honesetly wasn't sure how big the cutout is, if he ran it at low volume he could get an idea what it sounds like before the port compresses, but yeah he couldn't run it hard, but it would save him cutting a hole as a quick test at lower volume.

supra1987
12-10-2013, 10:35 PM
Thanks everyone for the input.I don't think I'll destroy my nice little power wedge box afterall.realize I need much more volume for ported.eventually I'll build a ported box but I gotta decide if I want to stay with 10's or not.I don't really have much space in the hatch area of my car.after I upgrade electrical I'll be asking questions for sure.