PDA

View Full Version : Polk's and infinitys

TwistedVisions
05-22-2004, 08:18 PM
Okay well i really didn't look around to much for my 5'1/4 and 6x9 speakers which i regret now. Well i went ahead and went with circuit city because they told me i could get these infinity 3'1/2 for my door for half price since they were out of box and half the price of my infinity 6x9's since they were both the same brand and plus free install for the 6x9's. Well i got ripped off it turns it they told me the wrong speaker for my doors so i had an option to choose between the polk's and infinity's for "5'1/4" in my doors. My dad told me to go with the polk's because he has home speakers that are polks and never stops talking about how there so good and good quality. So after they installed them and paid 300 dollars after tax :( they sounded good but i still have a factory head unit until my payday so they do distort but im sure thats because of how bad there underpowered. When i went to kens car tunes for a cd player they told my JL audio was the best for 6x9's and eclipse had the best door speakers. Im just curious if anyone has tried or have these polk 5'14 also there not the momo there just the standard ones,and what they think of them. I looked at the reviews at circuit city and the infinity didn't get but a 4 out of 5 because people say they distort at high volumes which doesn't matter since im a sub,but i need top of the line 5'1/4 so i can have crystal clear music while having my 12' sub for the bass. thanks

rick22
05-22-2004, 11:56 PM
speakers dont distort because of underpowering something must be wrong. as for ever hearing those speakers i have not sorry.

jayroc2k
05-23-2004, 06:24 AM
"speakers dont distort because of underpowering something must be wrong"

yes the do distort, but it will be the head unit distorting, not the actual speakers even thoung you can hear the distortion.

nosaj070
05-23-2004, 09:19 AM
"speakers dont distort because of underpowering something must be wrong"

yes the do distort, but it will be the head unit distorting, not the actual speakers even thoung you can hear the distortion.

Well No.....The problem is that 5.25 speakers cannot play the low frequencies you are wanting it to play. You really need a bass blocker or crossover to cut everything off below about 70-90hz. Also your HU could have something to do with it, but that is only when the volume is pretty close to the maximum that it would begin clipping.

As far as which speakers are the best, I've heard the polks and they aren't bad, the Infinitys are about equal. JL does not make the best 6x9's, that just happens to be what the shop sells, and eclipse doesn't necessarily make the best 5.25s, they are trying to sell you their stuff.

Ok, now I just read you have a factory HU...that could be a reason they are distorting, but if it isn't, it is because you are asking too much of the speakers, they cannot play low frequencies. Get an amp for them if you truly want them to sound really good, otherwise a nice HU (Do not buy it at circuit city) will power them alright.

TwistedVisions
05-23-2004, 12:59 PM
I wish i knew this much about speakers and frequencies :(. Far as clipping i know what you mean i tweaked around with my treble and bass so that i can turn it up real loud and have no distortion but if i turn it up to loud then it does start to "clip". I also noticed some of my rap songs sound alot better then others. I haven't figured this out i d/l the best quality i could at 192 bitrate so i know that can't be the problem. For instance i play that song "throw it up" by lil jon and it has lots of bass and sounds good but then i play"jay z" dust your shoulders off" and it sounds terrible. Can anyone explain the reason behind that?

CAMSHAFT
05-24-2004, 04:30 PM
To answer the first post, POLKs are great they sound awesome and handle alot of power. Plus they are made of good materials, they should last you for a long time. As for what other people tell you especially at a store they are going to tell you that WHAT THEY SELL sounds the best. Few car audio places can actually say that they have good product except for the guys selling Morel, CDT, FOCAL, MBQuart, and the like. My advice is to listen to as much speakers as you can so that you can tell the difference. Listen to the expensive ones and the inexpensive ones. Usually there is a big difference between those. Nine times out of the expensive ones are worth it. As for Polk audio speakers, they are great dont let someone tell you otherwise. I hope this helps.

TwistedVisions
05-24-2004, 08:33 PM
Hey camshaft i was looking into getting a new set of 5.25 speakers in the front not because the quality is bad because i love my polks :) but because i have been reading about these Polk Momo 5.25 speakers that come with an extrenal crossover with 70 watts rms. Have you heard these before? I can't find a shop near me that carries the momo i mean circuit city had the db series and thats what i have there 45 watts rms but a salesman at a car audio shop told me they could handle 60 watts of clean amp power(i got a 2 year warrenty if I blow them) its either these momo series or i could get MB Quarts they have a shop right up the street from me (TNT setereo's) which do you think would have cleaner highs and lows and not distort at high volumes?? Also those mb quarts are expensive but if there as good as everyone on this website makes them out to be i will gladly spend the money on them,thanks ...

88k5blazer
05-24-2004, 09:22 PM
I dunno about the other speakers but i have the exact same 3 1/2's in my dash and they are amazing, great overall quality for the price i paid (50 at circuit city as well) I have had no problems with distrotion whatsoever.

TwistedVisions
05-24-2004, 10:31 PM
Well circuit city told me i was suppose to have 3 1/2's and i checked at best buy on there computer and even at alpine-usa.com and there all wrong either that or circuit city was trying to get more money out of me. Instead of those 3 1/2's i had to get the 5.25 in my door and i got the polks just thought i would clarify :)

CAMSHAFT
05-24-2004, 10:41 PM
Dude go with the DB's they cost less and probably sound just as good if not better than the Momo's. Thats just me.

95RAM
05-26-2004, 02:07 PM
crutchfield is a good website to see what fits in your car.

toond
06-11-2004, 07:40 AM
I have all polk in both cars, as long as you go with the momos i think you will be fine.

Speakers don't distort from too little power, the amp distorts which you hear through the speakers.

TwistedVisions
06-11-2004, 07:58 AM
I wish i would have gone with the momo's but i was in to much in a hurry to get new speakers because i hated the sound of my blown speakers. After getting my alpine hu they sound alot better and im sure once i get my 4 channel amp that i will be satisfied with them although it would be nice to have cdt's but you know how a budget is :(

goodrich
06-11-2004, 08:40 PM
i went to CC one day and they were having a sale on Polk speakers. i got the MOMO's ( 6x9's and 6.5's ) both sets for $205 w/tax. but now when i go back to CC they don't have the MOMO's anymore. i'm thinking about selling them...i have never installed them, they are sitll in the box.

TwistedVisions
06-11-2004, 08:51 PM
I wish you had the 5.25's becaues the 6.5's don't fit in my car, I like my 6x9's although i really can't test them until i get my amp for them. How much would you let those 6x9s go for?

goodrich
06-11-2004, 10:03 PM
i would have to find someone who would want the 6.5's. either i sell both pairs or i don't sell them at all. i bought them as a package so i don't know exactly what to ask for each pair...as long as i get my $205 out of them. i would proly say $120 for the 6x9's and $85 for the 6.5's. i think i want to go with components, i just bought the polks because i was blown away by the price. i still might install them. i just got (2) eD 12" O's and a MTX 1501D. my yellow top came in today, still thinking about an HO alt. if you can find someone interested in the 6.5's let me know. i can ship them from my part time job and there's no handling charge.