PDA

View Full Version : Will two speaker grilles in front of tweeters make a difference?

JohnKimble
11-15-2013, 11:57 PM
Hello,

I'm installing my Polk DB6501's component set and realize the Polk tweeters can't be removed from their housing. The factory tweeter location in the a-pillar already has a mesh grille built in. While trying to maintain a factory look, will it noticeable affect performance by having two (2) grilles in front of my tweeter?

Pictures are attached.

Slo_Ride
11-16-2013, 12:00 AM
no

alex30
11-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Grills do make a difference. As an experiment remove a grill and then blow a steady stream of air onto your palm. Notice the strength of the airflow. then whilst blowing onto your palm place the grill between your lips and your palm and notice the effect on the airflow. It changes quite dramatically.
Now consider that sound is just air moving in waveform and you will see that grills do affect the moving air (sound) coming from your speakers. If it sounds better or worse will depend a lot on how you perceive the sound and also on room acoustics and speakers etc. What is for sure is, it will be different.