PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter passive crossover points 4ohm vs 6ohm vs 8ohm

DFW40
11-12-2013, 08:55 PM
If I were using a passive crossover that was designed to be used with the 6ohm tweeter that came with it and the crossover point was lets say 12 db's at 3500hz what happens to that crossover point if you use a 4 ohm tweeter or a 8 ohm tweeter instead of the 6 ohm it was designed for? Another question what if I was running a 4 ohm tweeters active and crossed them over at 3500hz and switched out the tweeters for 8 ohm tweeters and crossed them over at 3500hz on the amp is there any difference besides the reduction in power? So does the "ohm load" change the crossover point on a passive crossover and does it change anything on an active crossover?

ejschultz
11-15-2013, 01:32 PM
I'd say there are way too many variables in place to determine. You have a 2nd order crossover. There's a lot of math involved in figuring it out. Unless you designed the crossover, I'd say it's not worth trying to figure it out. You're probably best off getting a 6 ohm tweeter, if you can find one.

av83
11-15-2013, 01:53 PM
If I were using a passive crossover that was designed to be used with the 6ohm tweeter that came with it and the crossover point was lets say 12 db's at 3500hz what happens to that crossover point if you use a 4 ohm tweeter or a 8 ohm tweeter instead of the 6 ohm it was designed for? Another question what if I was running a 4 ohm tweeters active and crossed them over at 3500hz and switched out the tweeters for 8 ohm tweeters and crossed them over at 3500hz on the amp is there any difference besides the reduction in power? So does the "ohm load" change the crossover point on a passive crossover and does it change anything on an active crossover?

Dayton Audio ND28F-6 1-1/8" Neodymium Dome Tweeter | 275-040 (http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-nd28f-6-1-1-8-neodymium-dome-tweeter--275-040)

bubbagumper6
11-15-2013, 02:03 PM
An active crossover should remain constant since it's set externally. A passive crossover will change based on the impedance. With inductors if you raise the impedance you raise the crossover point, with capacitors if you raise the impedance you lower the crossover point. If your crossover is at least a second order circuit and contains both the result is a bit more difficult to predict but in any case I would advise against it.

ejschultz
11-15-2013, 03:34 PM
An active crossover should remain constant since it's set externally. A passive crossover will change based on the impedance. With inductors if you raise the impedance you raise the crossover point, with capacitors if you raise the impedance you lower the crossover point. If your crossover is at least a second order circuit and contains both the result is a bit more difficult to predict but in any case I would advise against it.

If the crossover is indeed a 12 dB/oct crossover, it is a 2nd order crossover. Going active would benefit you in terms of not affecting your crossover points when/if you change tweeters. Oddly, I didn't think of that; both my systems are active...

bubbagumper6
11-15-2013, 03:35 PM
If the crossover is indeed a 12 dB/oct crossover, it is a 2nd order crossover. Going active would benefit you in terms of not affecting your crossover points when/if you change tweeters. Oddly, I didn't think of that; both my systems are active...

Indeed, I missed that in the original post.

bradl79
11-15-2013, 04:43 PM
I have a set of cdt cl-62 and it came with tw25 tweeters and crossover

bubbagumper6
11-15-2013, 09:29 PM
I have a set of cdt cl-62 and it came with tw25 tweeters and crossover

Cool story bro

bradl79
11-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Lol I don't think I finished my post. I forgot what I was going to say now

bubbagumper6
11-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Lol I don't think I finished my post. I forgot what I was going to say now

lol, you high bro?

bradl79
11-15-2013, 11:23 PM
Lol no I was getting my oil changed and they came and got me. I didn't even know I submitted it