PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac Guys, Supercharger Upgrade?

ciaonzo
11-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Long story short, I cheaply acquired a 2006 Pontiac Torrent that I had intended to flip. I'm more of an import guy, Japanese, German, and such. Turns out it's pretty useful to me and pretty decent overall for what it is. So much so, that I would like to bolt on a supercharger to make it that much more enjoyable.

I'm having problems finding a kit specifically for the Torrent. Is there a good reason for this, or should I be able to buy one of the Pontiac kits and make it work? If so, am I looking at additional fuel injector or CPU upgrades as well? I'm pretty good with vehicles, I just want to hear from anyone with experience with this. Especially the Pontiac gurus.

I have the 3.4 v6. What do I need?

This gonna work? --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-OEM-REMANUFACTURED-GM-SUPERCHARGER-FOR-BUICK-OLDSMOBILE-PONTIAC-/120833089449?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3APontiac&hash=item1c22369fa9&vxp=mtr

SounDrive
11-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Here's a quick answer to your entire post:

No

whitedragon551
11-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Check out a forum dedicated to the Torrent. Even the crappiest posts there will be more useful than anything else posted here.

Dirtrider4eva
11-12-2013, 07:07 PM
yikes. hideous thing and a bad investment of time and money.

resonate
11-12-2013, 07:22 PM
yikes. hideous thing and a bad investment of time and money.

Jesus, does everybody on the forum have to do the whole 'Your crap *****, get better stuff or STFU' instead of giving helpful advice about what somebody can do with their situation?

Call me butthurt because Pontiac, but I see it everywhere on the forum.

thevic24
11-12-2013, 07:24 PM
IMO, in all honesty....

For what you would need to do to do this *right*, I just do not think that it would be worth it.

Timmy13091
11-12-2013, 07:30 PM
Long story short, I cheaply acquired a 2006 Pontiac Torrent that I had intended to flip. I'm more of an import guy, Japanese, German, and such. Turns out it's pretty useful to me and pretty decent overall for what it is. So much so, that I would like to bolt on a supercharger to make it that much more enjoyable.

I'm having problems finding a kit specifically for the Torrent. Is there a good reason for this, or should I be able to buy one of the Pontiac kits and make it work? If so, am I looking at additional fuel injector or CPU upgrades as well? I'm pretty good with vehicles, I just want to hear from anyone with experience with this. Especially the Pontiac gurus.

This gonna work? --> Genuine Remanufactured GM supercharger for Buick Oldsmobile Pontiac | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-OEM-REMANUFACTURED-GM-SUPERCHARGER-FOR-BUICK-OLDSMOBILE-PONTIAC-/120833089449?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3APontiac&hash=item1c22369fa9&vxp=mtr)

Well what you linked is for a 3800 series not a 3400 ... That's just the start ... Even if you modded it got it working etc .. Your still putting more stress on that drivetrain then it was built to handle and will see problems eventually .. I've seen the kits tossed on 3.8 camaros and grand prix's .. Trans is usually the first to take a **** ... They make 3.4 kits and everything else needed .. Find the right kit one made for the 3.4 grand am etc .. And go from there... Just be prepared for issues cause your gunna have a ton ... Goodluck

ciaonzo
11-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Opionions aren't much help. Like I said, I'm an import guy. I'm not a Pontiac fanboy, can't really stand GM. I realize the ******* link isn't the exact kit. This is why I made the thread - for guys who may have done this, or who may own the 3.4l that came with a supercharger, guys with the actual experience. I don't love the vehicle, I drive it. And I want to beat the **** out of it and have it go fast occasionally. It's pretty peppy as it is and handles quite nicely, especially for as HEAVY as it is. Telling me that the Gran Prix and Grand Am's that came with superchargers, have a more robust tranny than the one that came on the heaviest vehicle to have the 3.4? Okay, then. But I want to hear it from a guy who owns one and knows it to be true so I can look in the right direction.

Timmy13091
11-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Opionions aren't much help. Like I said, I'm an import guy. I'm not a Pontiac fanboy, can't really stand GM. I realize the ******* link isn't the exact kit. This is why I made the thread - for guys who may have done this, or who may own the 3.4l that came with a supercharger, guys with the actual experience. I don't love the vehicle, I drive it. And I want to beat the **** out of it and have it go fast occasionally. It's pretty peppy as it is and handles quite nicely, especially for as HEAVY as it is. Telling me that the Gran Prix and Grand Am's that came with superchargers, have a more robust tranny than the one that came on the heaviest vehicle to have the 3.4? Okay, then. But I want to hear it from a guy who owns one and knows it to be true so I can look in the right direction.

What grand am stock came supercharged ? Infact what 3.4 at all did ? And yes in the 3.8 models like the gtp Grand Prix etc ... There was beefier parts .. and diff gearing etc. .. They make 3.4 kits for grand am's etc.. you can make work .. From my knowledge gm didn't produce supercharged 3.4's in these (or any) cars stock

ciaonzo
11-12-2013, 08:22 PM
What grand am stock came supercharged ? Infact what 3.4 at all did ? And yes in the 3.8 models like the gtp Grand Prix etc ... There was beefier parts .. and diff gearing etc. .. They make 3.4 kits for grand am's etc.. you can make work .. From my knowledge gm didn't produce supercharged 3.4's in these (or any) cars stockI'm sure you feel you are somehow being helpful in between all of your multiple periods... but you're sounding like a ****. Instead of asking the guy who's asking the questions, rhetorical questions, perhaps you could explain that these things maybe weren't offered stock. Or you could elaborate on the ways that the tranny was more robust, in detail. I'm resourceful, I can use the internet. Right now, I'm using it to fast track the information part of this job. CPU work, fuel injectors, fuel pump upgrade advice. It is a forum, afterall. You would have been much more help to point me toward a link that can get me to this result.

http://www.660motorsports.com/uploads/gallery/album_2/med_gallery_1_2_33217.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/4265/4341/23162170040_large.jpg

http://www.ice8420.com/iceman/gap02/4/normal_002_2.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/4548/341/23867670076_large.jpg

Timmy13091
11-12-2013, 08:30 PM
I'm sure you feel you are somehow being helpful in between all of your multiple periods... but you're sounding like a ****. Instead of asking the guy who's asking the questions, rhetorical questions, perhaps you could explain that these things maybe weren't offered stock. Or you could elaborate on the ways that the tranny was more robust, in detail. I'm resourceful, I can use the internet. Right now, I'm using it to fast track the information part of this job. CPU work, fuel injectors, fuel pump upgrade advice. It is a forum, afterall. You would have been much more help to point me toward a link that can get me to this result.

http://www.660motorsports.com/uploads/gallery/album_2/med_gallery_1_2_33217.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/4265/4341/23162170040_large.jpg

http://www.ice8420.com/iceman/gap02/4/normal_002_2.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/4548/341/23867670076_large.jpg

Wasn't trying to be a **** was trying to help ya out .. I'm shure you can use a computer that's why I told you to look into grand am kits .. I had the 3.4 gt grand am with ram air a few years back looked into kits myself .. From what I have seen it's not worth it .. Pricey and when it is done you still will be constantly repairing and tweaking things ... Good luck .. All those pics above look like some good cash for the price invested to make it right you gotta ask yourself is it gunna be worth it ? For a daily driven torrent you say you don't even like ...

Freeman
11-12-2013, 08:46 PM

This gonna work? --> Genuine Remanufactured GM supercharger for Buick Oldsmobile Pontiac | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-OEM-REMANUFACTURED-GM-SUPERCHARGER-FOR-BUICK-OLDSMOBILE-PONTIAC-/120833089449?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3APontiac&hash=item1c22369fa9&vxp=mtr)

You could just do like the standard more air, more fuel, and exhaust. and it's a torrent so idk why u would do the supercharger for it. thats just what i think

Dirtrider4eva
11-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Okay heres the factual part. To get it installed and tuned will run easily 6000.get a gtp if you want supercharged. :)

Austinw88
11-12-2013, 10:30 PM
WOW!! Not trying to be a **** but does anyone know what they are talking about in here? Doesn't seem like it. With my 10 years of mechanical experience at a dealership and a home town shop and as a shade tree mechanic I have worked on almost everything. I've also owned a ton of **** including Pontiac, currently own a 01 Bonneville 3.8 N/A. All I'm saying is yes the 3.8 supercharger will work on a 3.4, maybe not be as easy as just bolting it up and running, but that's normal for any n/a motor that you're going to do forced induction on. At least you will have to get it tuned depending on how much boost you want to make. I wouldn't recommend anything over 5-6 psi on a stock motor with a supercharger. might have to change/modify a little but not much. Another option is a procharger, for the forced induction dummies that is a belt driven turbo.... That's all I'm saying here. If OP would like more input/ideas please pm me!

Timmy13091
11-12-2013, 10:43 PM
WOW!! Not trying to be a **** but does anyone know what they are talking about in here? Doesn't seem like it. With my 10 years of mechanical experience at a dealership and a home town shop and as a shade tree mechanic I have worked on almost everything. I've also owned a ton of **** including Pontiac, currently own a 01 Bonneville 3.8 N/A. All I'm saying is yes the 3.8 supercharger will work on a 3.4, maybe not be as easy as just bolting it up and running, but that's normal for any n/a motor that you're going to do forced induction on. At least you will have to get it tuned depending on how much boost you want to make. I wouldn't recommend anything over 5-6 psi on a stock motor with a supercharger. might have to change/modify a little but not much. Another option is a procharger, for the forced induction dummies that is a belt driven turbo.... That's all I'm saying here. If OP would like more input/ideas please pm me!

Lol change modify a little not much ? How many of these swaps have you done ?? I've read into this a lot more them u think with v6 camaros and grand ams in the past .. Nothing is built to support that extra power and even getting the car to allow any more is decent cash ... I wouldn't bash people knowledge based on what they typed in a single thread .. I've built 2 mustangs up myself and worked around cars for years .. It's not a easy or cheap task he's looking at .. So I'm clueless about your last post bro

Austinw88
11-12-2013, 11:00 PM
Lol change modify a little not much ? How many of these swaps have you done ?? I've read into this a lot more them u think with v6 camaros and grand ams in the past .. Nothing is built to support that extra power and even getting the car to allow any more is decent cash ... I wouldn't bash people knowledge based on what they typed in a single thread .. I've built 2 mustangs up myself and worked around cars for years .. It's not a easy or cheap task he's looking at .. So I'm clueless about your last post bro

Not bashing anyone, was a question.. From what everyone is saying "doing it right" is going to cost a lot? That maybe be true if he's looking to push 8-14psi in it.. Superchargers are much more efficient than turbos, turbos need more boost to make the hp compared to a supercharger. that being said... If he is looking for something daily and enjoyable 5-6 psi on a SC is perfect for what he is looking for, Not saying im the greatest mechanic out there because I know I'm not even close. But I can make 5-6 psi on a stock 3.4 safely for under 2000.

Supercharger: 300-500
Tune: 250
Injectors for a gxp/gtp: 15 each on ebay 90-100 total
Intercooler with bov, 250-300
gaskets:100-150 from parts store.
other stuff like the belt and some bolts, can be found cheap at a junk. Not the belt lol
Probably around 1600-1700 i could get it done safely and right!!

Not trying to start beef but i've worked with a lot of turbo/superchargers

Timmy13091
11-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Not bashing anyone, was a question.. From what everyone is saying "doing it right" is going to cost a lot? That maybe be true if he's looking to push 8-14psi in it.. Superchargers are much more efficient than turbos, turbos need more boost to make the hp compared to a supercharger. that being said... If he is looking for something daily and enjoyable 5-6 psi on a SC is perfect for what he is looking for, Not saying im the greatest mechanic out there because I know I'm not even close. But I can make 5-6 psi on a stock 3.4 safely for under 2000.

Supercharger: 300-500
Tune: 250
Injectors for a gxp/gtp: 15 each on ebay 90-100 total
Intercooler with bov, 250-300
gaskets:100-150 from parts store.
other stuff like the belt and some bolts, can be found cheap at a junk. Not the belt lol
Probably around 1600-1700 i could get it done safely and right!!

Not trying to start beef but i've worked with a lot of turbo/superchargers

2,000$ is cheap to you ? And that's a best case scenario my Friend.. And pushing only 6lbs for 2,000$ that makes it a even bigger waist when stock they push way over double that safely with a tune or chip .. And then if you do push more power that torrent trans/drive train is not made to handle that at all .. So you just opened a whole new can of worms

Austinw88
11-12-2013, 11:22 PM
2,000$ is cheap to you ? And that's a best case scenario my Friend.. And pushing only 6lbs for 2,000$ that makes it a even bigger waist when stock they push way over double that safely with a tune or chip .. And then if you do push more power that torrent trans/drive train is not made to handle that at all .. So you just opened a whole new can of worms

2k is cheap for a budget supercharger setup yes, And back to the daily thing. you are correct about the trans/drive train wont hold a **** ton of power. But again op said he wants something more enjoyable/daily. so therefore he is not shooting for 15psi, 15 psi on a supercharger is about the same as 25 or so with a turbo. I said 5-6psi on the 3.4 which would be somewhere between 12-16 with a turbo because of turbo lag and you have a faster response with a SC. Now 5-6psi on his motor takes it from a stock 185 to somewhere around 230-250hp that's a pretty **** good gain for under 2k that is also on the safe side as i said. when I say safe I mean that for the internals of the motor and head gaskets, also for the trans/ drive train. The stock motor and trans/ drive train can handle a 50-70hp increase without being punished.

ciaonzo
11-12-2013, 11:53 PM
Yeah, 2K is plenty reasonable. I'm not looking to take this thing to the strip, I just want to get my groceries fast. lulz

I bought it for very little money so I can afford to put a little more into it for a bit of added horsepower. Significantly more than a K&N filter would provide but not enough to break everything down the line. I figure when I have to get in there and replace the cam sensor I can throw in some metal head gaskets if need be, but if you guys don't think the drivetrain on this thing will want to see more HP than what 5 pounds of boost will produce, it probably won't be necessary.

Thanks for the list, Austin. I noticed that didn't include a fuel pump upgrade, that feasible?

jrdnhsnbrg
11-12-2013, 11:55 PM
Yeah, 2K is plenty reasonable. I'm not looking to take this thing to the strip, I just want to get my groceries fast. lulz

I bought it for very little money so I can afford to put a little more into it for a bit of added horsepower. Significantly more than a K&N filter would provide but not enough to break everything down the line. I figure when I have to get in there and replace the cam sensor I can throw in some metal head gaskets if need be, but if you guys don't think the drivetrain on this thing will want to see more HP than what 5 pounds of boost will produce, it probably won't be necessary.

Thanks for the list, Austin. I noticed that didn't include a fuel pump upgrade, that feasible?

Have you considered exhaust upgrades?

Austinw88
11-13-2013, 12:00 AM

no problem, as fas as the fuel pump goes I would do one and thanks for pointing that out. you might be able to use a walbro 255, they are mostly universal, but I would want to do some research on you're stock pump before doing so. the pumps are anywhere from 40-90 bucks on ebay.

ciaonzo
11-13-2013, 12:11 AM
Have you considered exhaust upgrades?I will probably need to at some point. Good for a little torque, anyhow. I don't like loud, though. Throaty but quiet would be ideal, if that makes sense.

I just don't want this to become a project car, or have it look like I actually like Torrents, Pontiacs, or GM anything. Putting stupid light kits on it, stickers, and all that other immature garbage. It's plain and clean, just want to keep it that way. Maybe have someone say "I didn't think a Torrent would be that fast" in the sleeper sense. Nothing big.

Oh boy... I might be a fanboy afterall. Can't help but think that Torrent would look pretty nice with these Buick rims.

http://img.autobytel.com/car-reviews/autobytel/111317-2012-buick-regal-gs-road-test-and-review/2012_buick_regal_gs_rearangle.jpg

jrdnhsnbrg
11-13-2013, 12:19 AM
I will probably need to at some point. Good for a little torque, anyhow. I don't like loud, though. Throaty but quiet would be ideal, if that makes sense.

I just don't want this to become a project car, or have it look like I actually like Torrents, Pontiacs, or GM anything. Putting stupid light kits on it, stickers, and all that other immature garbage. It's plain and clean, just want to keep it that way. Maybe have someone say "I didn't think a Torrent would be that fast" in the sleeper sense. Nothing big.

Oh boy... I might be a fanboy afterall. Can't help but think that Torrent would look pretty nice with these Buick rims.

http://img.autobytel.com/car-reviews/autobytel/111317-2012-buick-regal-gs-road-test-and-review/2012_buick_regal_gs_rearangle.jpg

My car is the very definition of sleeper sound system-wise... 2001 Lincoln continental, only exterior upgrades is HID headlights (aimed properly as to not blind all other drivers) and LED switchback blinkers. Then, I added my system and yeah... Trunk kid vibrates like no tomorrow and the sunroof leaks if it's wet out and I'm bumpin

ciaonzo
11-13-2013, 12:27 AM
no problem, as fas as the fuel pump goes I would do one and thanks for pointing that out. you might be able to use a walbro 255, they are mostly universal, but I would want to do some research on you're stock pump before doing so. the pumps are anywhere from 40-90 bucks on ebay.Appreciate the input!

Timmy13091
11-13-2013, 01:46 AM
2k is cheap for a budget supercharger setup yes, And back to the daily thing. you are correct about the trans/drive train wont hold a **** ton of power. But again op said he wants something more enjoyable/daily. so therefore he is not shooting for 15psi, 15 psi on a supercharger is about the same as 25 or so with a turbo. I said 5-6psi on the 3.4 which would be somewhere between 12-16 with a turbo because of turbo lag and you have a faster response with a SC. Now 5-6psi on his motor takes it from a stock 185 to somewhere around 230-250hp that's a pretty **** good gain for under 2k that is also on the safe side as i said. when I say safe I mean that for the internals of the motor and head gaskets, also for the trans/ drive train. The stock motor and trans/ drive train can handle a 50-70hp increase without being punished.

No that trans and **** will not handle 70hp gain just fine lol .. Where are you getting this info. .. And 2,000$ is a best case scenario ... I'm not gunna sit and argue bottom line no it's not cheap / practical or smart to do to a daily car unless you plan to do a hell of a lot to support it all

SounDrive
11-13-2013, 02:12 AM
Supercharging a torrent is like supercharging my Taurus. Only one person has done it and he spent thousands (more than a few) and a ton of labor doing it.

And it's still slow, because... ITS STILL NOT GOT ANY HORSEPOWER. If you want a fast SUV, go buy a Trailblazer SS and call it a day. You'll be saving money in the end and going faster.

Austinw88
11-13-2013, 02:16 AM
Supercharging a torrent is like supercharging my Taurus. Only one person has done it and he spent thousands (more than a few) and a ton of labor doing it.

And it's still slow, because... ITS STILL NOT GOT ANY HORSEPOWER. If you want a fast SUV, go buy a Trailblazer SS and call it a day. You'll be saving money in the end and going faster.

I am not going to disagree with this, in all my previous posted I never said he was going to get an amazing amount of hp or speed but a little. But I do agree fast suv= trailblazer ss or Jeep srt8 :)

Freeman
11-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Why in the hell are u asking thus on a car-audio site Their should be a pontiac forum that people know exactly what their talking about.

Freeman
11-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Pontiac Forums - pontiac performance,solstice,gto,g6,g8,grand prix,grand am,bonneville,fiero,vibe,sunfire,montana,sv6,aztek ,firebird,trans am,gta,sunbird,trans sport,6000,lemans (http://www.pontiacforum.com)

mclerico83
11-13-2013, 02:34 PM
MMS 3400 Powertrain Control Module (PCM) - Milzy Motorsports (http://www.milzymotorsports.com/mms-3400-powertrain-control-module-pcm/)

call mms they know everything about the 3.4 (not a big fan). I own a pontiac grand prix turbo rebuilt everything dyno 452hp :)

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

atleast get A canned pcm :)

mclerico83
11-13-2013, 02:40 PM
3500 Swap for 3100 or 3400 powered vehicles - Milzy Motorsports (http://www.milzymotorsports.com/3500-swap-for-3100-or-3400-powered-vehicles/)

engine goes bad throw a 3500 in :)

mclerico83
11-13-2013, 02:44 PM
3500 Swap (http://www.milzymotorsports.com/3500-swap/)

info on why the 3500 is much better engine :)

LOUDNDEEP
11-13-2013, 02:59 PM
3500 Swap (http://www.milzymotorsports.com/3500-swap/)

info on why the 3500 is much better engine :)

I would rather see the 3.4 dohc engine swapped from a monte z34. Lotus designed heads and capable of 300+ hp with tuning. Its a popular swap for the fiero but never heard of anyone putting it into a grand am or torrent though.

Freeman
11-14-2013, 10:34 AM
find a wrecked g6 gxp

undone1
11-21-2013, 08:20 PM
put a fogger kit on it and save a rack of money..

mr b
12-29-2013, 04:25 PM
hey did you ever do anything to your Torrent?

ThatChevyGuy
01-11-2014, 12:50 AM
3800 series 2 yo