PDA

View Full Version : components and mid bass.

FUKAZ28
11-12-2013, 11:31 AM
I'm getting items together for my 2004 F150 Supercrew. The doors will house 6x8's.
What are the pros and cons of running a 6x8 component set vs a 6.5" component set?
Which mid sub will do a better job? As you know I have a more selection of 6.5" sets than the 6x8's.
Thanks in advance. :peace:
E. Martin

trumpet
11-12-2013, 12:02 PM
For this vehicle I recommend a 6.5" set that actually has a 6.7" midbass, if you are willing to fit a fairly large mid/tweeter custom mounted somewhere. You're right that there aren't many 6x8 component sets. Another point is midbass isn't just about the speaker, it's about treating the door as well. If you're looking for a lot of midbass you should budget for a few different sound deadening products.

FUKAZ28
11-12-2013, 08:37 PM
For this vehicle I recommend a 6.5" set that actually has a 6.7" midbass, if you are willing to fit a fairly large mid/tweeter custom mounted somewhere. You're right that there aren't many 6x8 component sets. Another point is midbass isn't just about the speaker, it's about treating the door as well. If you're looking for a lot of midbass you should budget for a few different sound deadening products.
Got any part number's in mind?

Side Show
11-12-2013, 09:27 PM
tsc171prs as an example

black05alti
11-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Seal and deaden your doors if you want some good midbass. What's your budget for components?

FUKAZ28
11-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Seal and deaden your doors if you want some good midbass. What's your budget for components?
I had planned on doing some deaden and sealing. I would like to keep it under say $250. Do you recommend components installed in the rear doors also?
If I can do something a little cheaper for the rear I can spend more on the fronts.
Thanks guys.

black05alti
11-12-2013, 10:09 PM
I had planned on doing some deaden and sealing. I would like to keep it under say $250. Do you recommend components installed in the rear doors also?
If I can do something a little cheaper for the rear I can spend more on the fronts.
Thanks guys.

I'd do components front and coaxials rear

neo_styles
11-12-2013, 10:14 PM
For under $250, I would consider nixing the rear fill idea and instead investing the whole budget into your front stage. For the price, I think it's really hard to beat the JBL P600C components. First, you get a 2-ohm component set, so getting the most out of amplification won't really be a problem. Second, they excel in midbass and, seeing as how you'll be deadening your doors, you'll be able to reap the full benefit of them.

That being said, if rear fill is a must, I would not suggest components as it'll pull your stage too far back and I think it'll end up frustrating you in the end. Coaxials, yes, but ONLY if you absolutely need speakers in the rear.

Other honorable mention would go to the Incriminator 6.5" components. Either way, you'll need to spend a little extra time and coin making a baffle out of MDF to cover up the remaining gap for the OEM speaker, but variety is significantly better when looking at 6.5" components instead of 6x8/6x9.

trumpet
11-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Got any part number's in mind?

The set I had in mind is CDT MX-2HD-2 for $449. It isn't listed online now but it's similar to this set: MX-3HD (http://cdtdealer.com/easy-way-electronics/mxdesigns/mx3hd.htm) The potential for good midbass with a speaker that stays full covered by your factory door panel is excellent with this set, plus the midrange vocal clarity with the 2" mid/tweeter is beautiful. If you wanted to have a small tweeter to add some brightness and sparkle up top all of the MX Designs 2-way sets are ready to be upgraded to a 3-way.

jeffdachef
11-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Just gonna throw my CDT ES-06 midbasses in the mix, these things play lower midbass with authority like child's play.

FUKAZ28
11-13-2013, 04:57 PM
The set I had in mind is CDT MX-2HD-2 for $449. It isn't listed online now but it's similar to this set: MX-3HD (http://cdtdealer.com/easy-way-electronics/mxdesigns/mx3hd.htm) The potential for good midbass with a speaker that stays full covered by your factory door panel is excellent with this set, plus the midrange vocal clarity with the 2" mid/tweeter is beautiful. If you wanted to have a small tweeter to add some brightness and sparkle up top all of the MX Designs 2-way sets are ready to be upgraded to a 3-way.
I would love to have them, but they are outta my budget for now.

black05alti
11-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Definitely can't go wrong with the JBL p660c

black05alti
11-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Then some JBL p662 coaxials in the back

RobsVolt
12-06-2013, 12:01 AM
I would love to have them, but they are outta my budget for now.

Those are listed for $269.99 on Woofersetc.com!

Side Show
12-06-2013, 12:08 AM
you get what you pay for, unless you buy second hand (and that's dodgy imo)

Staynlean
12-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Yeah keep your focus on the front stage, I would disconnect the rear doors this has worked well for me and many many others. Actually I think it's what you are "supposed" to do. Especially of you have a very nice front stage system.

FUKAZ28
12-06-2013, 10:33 PM
How do y'all feel about this set up?
Give me the good and bad.
WoofersEtc.com - CL-6E32 - CDT Audio 3-Way 6/3/1" Component System (http://www.woofersetc.com/p-8959-cl-6e32-cdt-audio-3-way-631-component-system.aspx)

trumpet
12-07-2013, 10:48 AM
How do y'all feel about this set up?
Give me the good and bad.
WoofersEtc.com - CL-6E32 - CDT Audio 3-Way 6/3/1" Component System (http://www.woofersetc.com/p-8959-cl-6e32-cdt-audio-3-way-631-component-system.aspx)

The crossovers **** compared to the new 3-ways CDT released earlier this year for the MX Designs systems. They're so much better it's hardly a fair comparison. You started this thread with "midbass" in the title, and those woofers in that set are not even close to the ones I recommended earlier in the thread. There are plenty of people enjoying CL components, but the HD line of speakers are a big improvement.

If you need to save some more money I recommend doing so. If you could go up to $399 I can put together a custom spec'd 3-way that will get you better midbass if you follow up with sound deadening.

FUKAZ28
12-08-2013, 08:47 AM
The crossovers **** compared to the new 3-ways CDT released earlier this year for the MX Designs systems. They're so much better it's hardly a fair comparison. You started this thread with "midbass" in the title, and those woofers in that set are not even close to the ones I recommended earlier in the thread. There are plenty of people enjoying CL components, but the HD line of speakers are a big improvement.

If you need to save some more money I recommend doing so. If you could go up to $399 I can put together a custom spec'd 3-way that will get you better midbass if you follow up with sound deadening.

What's the best way for me to understand the difference of "midbass vs midrange"? Sorry for the stupid questions. I am a newbie at this.

trumpet
12-08-2013, 10:51 AM
What's the best way for me to understand the difference of "midbass vs midrange"? Sorry for the stupid questions. I am a newbie at this.

In car audio we talk about bass, midbass, midrange, and treble. Bass is the easiest. Midbass and midrange are both extremely important to a great sounding system. Midbass is harder to get right compared to everything else. That's where the thump comes from in a lot of music. If you've ever sat in a vehicle that had the music making your pants vibrate from the door speakers that is probably because of midbass.

With a 3-way speaker set we use a midbass speaker because there's a smaller speaker that plays the midrange. It works out better this way as you're not trying to make a 6.5" speaker do too much work.

Nubster
12-08-2013, 05:08 PM
I'm trying to understand this as well and design the front end of my system for my truck. Stock, I have 6x9's in the front doors and 3.5" in the dash. My plan was 6.5" in the door, tweets on the upper door or dash/pillar and that's it. To get midbass AND midrange, does that require two different woofers? Or can one woofer accomplish both duties? If two is better, would a 3.5" woofer in the dash be ok for midrange?

trumpet
12-08-2013, 05:46 PM
To get midbass AND midrange, does that require two different woofers? Or can one woofer accomplish both duties?

Two different woofers is never required to have these different frequency ranges covered, but splitting up the job has a lot of potential to sound better. It's one of those things where until you hear a good 3-way setup in your vehicle you might not understand why it's better. The great thing is 3-way doesn't have to cost a lot of money.

If two is better, would a 3.5" woofer in the dash be ok for midrange?
That 3.5" dash spot can be filled with a 3" mid on a simple adapter, then you put a small tweeter near it. That can be done without any custom work(i.e. cutting).