PDA

View Full Version : Truck Bed Enclosure Help

tackdriver
11-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Sorry to post this but I am extremely overwhelmed with trying to figure out my situation so I thought I would post here and hopefully get some exact answers.

I have a 2011 Chevy silverado Crew cab with the back seats taken out for storage for my job. This area can NOT be used for a box so I am thinking of a box in the bed of the truck. I am assuming a "bandpass"??? This way I am only going to be modifying the truck with a couple of holes passing through the box and cab???
My idea is to get the best bang for my buck "space" related. I do not want a huge box to take up my bed so I have opted for the power of 2 - JL 10W7. As far as I know they pack a serious thump for the space required given you have the right amp.

My questions....

1. are the subs ok for my application?
2. I was told that bandpass was not the best application for my style of music which is Rock/Alternative.
3. I would like hard hitting with not too much slop (guess I may have to compromise)

Any design help would be greatly appreciated. My head is going to explode with all the technical information and design systems that are available.

pro-rabbit
11-10-2013, 11:14 AM
A bandpass can work for any type of music. It is all in the tuning and chamber sizes. I have done a few W7 4th and 6th setups, but I would say there would be a few better options out there if you can pick them up in your area. If not, then those will work. So will a pair of w6's as well.

hispls
11-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Doing a blowthrough for a pair of 10's seems pretty silly IMO. It's a very permanent thing and requires some real skill to pull off nicely. Seems a lot of expense, risk, and trouble for so little.

tackdriver
11-10-2013, 12:28 PM
what kind of options are you referring to that I pick up? Thanks

tackdriver
11-10-2013, 12:44 PM
I think I understand your concern. I am a woodworker by trade so a box with porting is not too much trouble. As for the holes in the cab and box, that's all that it will be holes, right? Cutting out small holes, be it round or rectangular to accommodate each sub independently, is not a difficult task for me. I will be having the truck for a long time so small modifications do not concern me. The sealing between the ports and the steel obviously needs to be addressed but I'm sure I can figure that part out with rubber moldings or an accordion? I do not know any other way to address my situation. I need bass, I need room. I am not the kid I use to be that needed crazy SPL. Sound quality is what I am after hopefully. Any other suggestions on what you think might work would be appreciated. Thanks again!!