PDA

View Full Version : cutting speaker holes

blowthemup
11-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Got most of my box done just have to cut speaker holes. I was wanting to flush mount my subs but I already glued my second baffle piece to the front. How would I go about routing my holes so I can flush mount the subs?

Side Show
11-07-2013, 10:44 PM
put another piece over the front of the box, I wouldn't use a router coz it'll make the mounting too thin for the sub

jrdnhsnbrg
11-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Got most of my box done just have to cut speaker holes. I was wanting to flush mount my subs but I already glued my second baffle piece to the front. How would I go about routing my holes so I can flush mount the subs?

I'll route your holes :naughty:
Awkward ****** jokes aside, cut your first hole just a tad bigger (like 1/16") than the outside diameter of the sub, then the second hole the size of the cutout dimension.

Ahmed Johnson
11-07-2013, 10:48 PM
lol

moneypit
11-07-2013, 11:39 PM
I say just use a jig like this with a flat bottom bit and cut out your center ring then outside or visa versa. Your router should have a depth adjustment to take just enough of each baffel.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/ARsR4ME/Snapbucket/B8105833-orig_zpsdd3a1451.jpg

keep_hope_alive
11-07-2013, 11:51 PM
yep, if you have a plunge router, and a proper bit, and you haven't cut any holes yet - you can use the router to cut two holes. the first will be through the top layer and the outer dimension of the basket. once that is cut you set the router for the cutout dimension of the woofer and make those passes. the result will be a flush mounted woofer.

T3mpest
11-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Generally speaking though MUCH easier to cut the holes if you haven't mounted the baffles yet :D If your only doing a single cutout it's a non issue, but when it's a double baffle and I want to flush mount (always for me), then I cut first then put them in place.

blowthemup
11-08-2013, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the ideas, wish me luck.