PDA

View Full Version : Can this custom enclosure be repaired?

phenryiv1
11-05-2013, 09:02 PM
So the enclosure in the pictures below was purchased for my WRX and arrived today. As you can see, it did not arrive intact. Here are the facts:

Enclosure was purchased from a fellow member of one of my Subaru forums.
I paid about 2.5-3 weeks ago but due to issues finding a box it just shipped out yesterday and arrived today.
Cardboard box looked to be 95% intact. The enclosure was held in place with a series of pillows.
I opened the box to find the driver had collapsed into the enclosure. The mounting ring had almost completely detached from the front of the enclosure and was still attached to the driver.
I took the photos as I progressed toward removing the sub, which had fallen into the enclosure and was stubborn about coming back out the front of the enclosure.
From the looks of things, the inner mounting ring was not attached all that well to the front of the enclosure. One ring of hot glue around the edge joint and a single skim of resin on some parts- no fiberglass, no wood glue between the face of the ring and the back of the enclosure face, no brads or nails.
There were a couple of thin "struts" holding the ring to the back of the face, but those struts all broke or have become loose. There were 3 of them and only 1 of them was braced to the back of the enclosure.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/WRX/WRXStereo/encl04.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/WRX/WRXStereo/encl03.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/WRX/WRXStereo/encl02.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k271/phenryiv1/WRX/WRXStereo/encl01.jpg

So where I am now:

When I initially bought it I only bought the sub out of convenience- I really just wanted the enclosure. The sub is worthless to me without the enclosure. It isn't like I would just toss it in a rectangular(-ish) enclosure and go on.
Despite having some fabrication skills, I don't do fiberglass and never have.
I bought the enclosure to save time versus the effort to make my own, plus I thought that is had a "cool" factor over a pre-fab enclosure from AI or WickedCAS.
The seller only insured the shipment for $100.
A call to the ONLY audio shop in my area that I have ever used- ever- said that they would not fix it. I sent pictures to the head fabricator and he said he'd rebuild it before he tried to repair it, since to do it "right" he would basically have to cut out the back of the enclosure and re-glass it.

SO...

Can it be fixed? If so, how? If I pay someone, how many hours might I be looking at to have it fixed? If I DIY, how long might it take me? (As I said, I paid what I paid to AVOID having to DIY or to spend time running to/from shops, etc.)

If it can't be fixed, how would be the most fair way to resolve this with the seller?

Let me know your thoughts, please.

jrdnhsnbrg
11-05-2013, 09:06 PM
You got screwed... Junk box, shoulda saved yourself time and money and made your own.

phenryiv1
11-05-2013, 09:11 PM
You got screwed... Junk box, shoulda saved yourself time and money and made your own.

I don't know how to fiberglass, can't afford the downtime with my vehicle, and am simply too busy to learn (full time job, 2 hour daily commute, "side" job in producing a specific automotive product that I fabricate by hand [another 8-10 hours per week], and I have 2 young kids). I also built, race, and repair an SCCA-sanctioned race car (7 weekends a year), so time is a bit limited.

Paying $450 for the enclosure was better than spending the time and money to fumble through making my own.

All that said, I assume that your opinion is that the enclosure cannot be salvaged.

jrdnhsnbrg
11-05-2013, 09:15 PM
I don't know how to fiberglass, can't afford the downtime with my vehicle, and am simply too busy to learn (full time job, 2 hour daily commute, "side" job in producing a specific automotive product that I fabricate by hand [another 8-10 hours per week], and I have 2 young kids). I also built, race, and repair an SCCA-sanctioned race car (7 weekends a year), so time is a bit limited.

Paying $450 for the enclosure was better than spending the time and money to fumble through making my own.

All that said, I assume that your opinion is that the enclosure cannot be salvaged.

Sweet baby jesus that's insane. $450 for a box... It really doesn't look salvageable to me, I'd wait and hear some other opinions though.

cfox10
11-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Glassing is pretty easy... could be done in a weekend while still working.

Joebobclark
11-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Thats *****....

But it could be fixed. Just need to make a new ring, may have to cut it in half to get it inside the box. But then just center it best you can and fiberglass in place. Not the easiest to fix, but definitely possible!

phenryiv1
11-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Sweet baby jesus that's insane. $450 for a box... It really doesn't look salvageable to me, I'd wait and hear some other opinions though.

I should have specified- $450 included shipping, the Memphis subwoofer, and the enclosure. So basically $300 for the enclosure, though the sub is worthless to me without the enclosure.

Braindead

I'm sorry man, but it sounds like he ripped you off...

You could've worked with a builder on here and gotten a much better box for less money. But saying thats all useless, heres a couple builders i know offhand on here and from what i've seen they do really good work. Buck ; dbeez ; pro-rabbit ;

4bannger
With the work that it would take to fix that box you would be better off just getting a new one. Most shops arn't going to want to touch it and DIY'ing it would take some know how.

If you bought it and received it like that i would send the same pictures you posted and explain. I think that the box was poorly made from the start. there is no reason for that ring to break off like that.

Jeffdachef
11-05-2013, 09:22 PM
if your going to pay 450, you should have just have an audio shop do it... Thats a sorry excuse for a baffle on a box, makes us question the quality of the overall design of the box in the first place. Get the guy to refund you the box and have a professional do it.

phenryiv1
11-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Thats *****....

But it could be fixed. Just need to make a new ring, may have to cut it in half to get it inside the box. But then just center it best you can and fiberglass in place. Not the easiest to fix, but definitely possible!
Would I want to glue and brad nail it in place? How about replacing the "struts" that held the ring in place while it was built the first time? Do I need to re-create those?

I have a fair amount of fabrication experience but my only experience with fiberglass is in conjunction with POR15 as a floor patch or reinforcement in floorpans.

phenryiv1
11-05-2013, 09:26 PM
I guess I made the mistake of going through a vehicle-oriented website and not an audio website. The seller was NOT the builder- he re-sold an enclosure that he paid to have made and used in his own car. I have no idea what he paid.

Now that I have it all apart I see that the back is fairly thin. If I end up keeping this I may have to add additional layers to the inside.

I hate to have to reverse this transaction. The only "winner" will be the shipping company. But if I can't use it and can't repair it in a cost-effective manner, I may have to go that route.

4bannger
11-05-2013, 09:30 PM
I guess I made the mistake of going through a vehicle-oriented website and not an audio website. The seller was NOT the builder- he re-sold an enclosure that he paid to have made. I have no idea what he paid.

My best suggestion would be to try and get a refund and go spend that money at a car audio shop. You can get a pretty sweet box for that kind of money. From what I see the box was mad pretty cheaply and fixing it would be like painting over rust.

jrdnhsnbrg
11-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Ship him the sub back and get a refund man...

phenryiv1
11-05-2013, 09:36 PM
I don't like the way it looks like this is going, but I appreciate the feedback. Ignoring what I paid, if it isn't right, wasn't shipped right, and can't be fixed then it is what it is. I don't feel like the guy tried to pull a fast one on me, just bad luck. Shipping it without solid packing exposed inferior construction. Had it been built right it would have survived the trip and all would be fine.

cfox10
11-05-2013, 09:40 PM
He shipped you a subpar box with pillows surrounding it. You'd be surprised at how well people on this forum package items. It's not a good excuse. He should have insured for the entire amount.

dbeez
11-05-2013, 10:09 PM
It is salvagable but not going to be quick or easy.

dbeez
11-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Also sub and box shouod have been shipped in seperate boxes he skimped on shipping and your gonna end up paying for it unfortunately.

mlstrass
11-06-2013, 06:52 AM
chop mat/kitty hair on the back side to attach ring to enclosure. Glue ring together and use chop mat/kitty hair to build it up so it's level again. Not that hard at all IMO...

phenryiv1
11-06-2013, 10:32 AM
chop mat/kitty hair on the back side to attach ring to enclosure. Glue ring together and use chop mat/kitty hair to build it up so it's level again. Not that hard at all IMO...

I am sure that if I had experience with FG this would be do-able. My only experience with fiberglass matting is in using it as an overlayment to build up and reinforce the floor in my Jeep (under carpet) and my race car (bare floor) by using the FG matting and impregnating it with POR15 in place of resin to add thickness to the floor in the area where my feet rest while racing.

If I had more experience in mixing up FG and using kitty hair (whatever that is) I would be more inclined to try this on my own but if I F it up then the whole thing is gone. Plus with time being of the essence (before my PP claim window expires) I am behind the 8-ball on doing something, and this weekend is taken up by my last points race before the series closes out for the year. I have been so busy on the track car that I have had a new HU sitting idle for 3 weeks waiting for install in my daily driver.

I had one member here PM me an offer to do the repair, so maybe I will follow up and see what the cost will be and then talk to the seller.

resonate
11-06-2013, 10:42 AM
I'd personally say cut your losses and use the insurance money to get a nice enclosure from one of our vendors, but that's just my two cents.

bbeljefe
11-06-2013, 10:46 AM
First of all and for future reference... never ship a sub mounted in a box... or a crate. Any shock the box or crate takes is transferred directly to the sub and obviously, can cause damage. So add that you your woes about the box... you still don't know ( I presume you haven't played it) whether or not the impact that broke the box did any damage to the sub.

Subs should be shipped in the factory packaging (usually styrofoam or several layers of cardboard) or wrapped up in a couple of layers of bubble wrap so as to insulate them from shock.

That said, the box would be easy to repair for anyone with reasonable fabrication skills. It needs a new ring cut and installed which as has been mentioned, would need to be cut half in two and then filled once the pieces are in place. Also, if cosmetics aren't a huge issue, you could cut a new ring and install it to the face of the box without having to go to the trouble of cutting and fitting two pieces inside the box. That would serve the same purpose as well as being quick. Of course, if the rest of the box is as poorly constructed as the baffle... it may not be worth the effort.

phenryiv1
11-06-2013, 10:51 AM
I'd personally say cut your losses and use the insurance money to get a nice enclosure from one of our vendors, but that's just my two cents.
The insurance money is capped at $100. That isn't going to go far.

resonate
11-06-2013, 10:56 AM
The insurance money is capped at $100. That isn't going to go far.

That'll pay for more than half of a nice enclosure from a professional vendor, or the entirety of one you could build yourself in a couple of days.

Enclosures don't normally cost $300.

phenryiv1
11-06-2013, 12:56 PM
That'll pay for more than half of a nice enclosure from a professional vendor, or the entirety of one you could build yourself in a couple of days.

Enclosures don't normally cost $300.

Are you speaking about a rectangular(-ish) enclosure not costing $300 or something thatis custom-molded fiberglass in a vehicle-specific shape?

The enclosure was tucked into the side panel of the hatch of a 2008-2014 WRX/STi and would require a vehicle to make the mold, time to lay the fiberglass and to build the enclosure itself, and then would require additional time for the aesthetics portion (sanding, painting, or carpeting, in this case). I don't kno wthat I have seen custom enclosures such as this for under $300.

Here is the enclosure in the previous owner's vehicle:

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh611/RobBASS1/image-15.jpg

Here are some off-the-shelf vehicle-specific options from mass vendors:

Wicked C.A.S.*::*MAGIC BOXES*::*Subaru*::*Subaru - 08+ Impreza WAGON /WRX/Sti 1X10 / 1X12 Sub box Subwoofer enclosure (http://www.wickedcas.com/product.php?productid=120&cat=5&page=1) ($349 plus shipping)

SIH1008 08-2013 Subaru WRX / STI Hatch 10 Inch Perfect Fit (http://www.audiointegrations.net/catalog/item/6767669/6655814.htm) ($329 plus shipping)

Neither of those are as "tucked" as the enclosure that I bought, which is part of why i went with it and not with one of those.

At any rate, if you feel that one of the CA vendors could replicate or improve upon what I purchased, I woudl be happy to be wrong in my assumption that $300 was a good price for a custom, vehicle-specific enclosure.

resonate
11-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Haha, I'm sorry. I was under the impression that you were considering getting a simple enclosure built instead of repairing your other one, I'm not exactly sure where I got that.

bradl79
11-06-2013, 01:08 PM
I am assuming u didn't use paypal?

phenryiv1
11-06-2013, 02:03 PM
I did use PayPal. The seller is NOT refusing to work with me. We spoke on the phone last night and then again via text message. He asked me to post up on forums to see if it can be fixed and if so to see how much it might cost.

I sent him photos, then also sent him links to the threads that I started on the subject- here, NASIOC [Subaru forum where I bought it], and DIYMA.

I am trying to determine if it can be fixed (responses seem to indicate that it can be fixed but that it might not be cost-effective) and if so how much it will cost.

If it CANNOT be fixed, I am looking for suggestions on how would be the best way to handle resolving this. Do I return it all, and if so, at whose expense? What amount should he refund? Full price? Price minus shipping? Only the cost of the enclosure?

So at this point I am seeking opinions on what is a fair resolution to this. I have never had something arrive like this and NOT have been damaged by clear abuse in shipment AND not fully insured. If it were fully insured, then I would be fine just filing the claim on it, but as the item was under-insured, it is very important that the resolution is as fair as possible to me and the seller.

If this was a simple fix that I could do myself and it cost less than $100 I'd have him file the claim, give me the money, and I'd go on. But the fix may be more than $100 and may not be successful.

So any suggestions?

mlstrass
11-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Kitty hair is like bondo/body filler but it's finely chopped up fiberglass instead. Mixes with hardener just like body filler. So it's easier then doing cloth and resin.

Sand it with 80grit and you're done. Pack it along the backside of the ring/box with your hand. Seriously you could fix that in a few hours...

You can get a quart at any auto parts store for around $15

hispls
11-07-2013, 10:07 AM
I guess I made the mistake of going through a vehicle-oriented website and not an audio website. The seller was NOT the builder- he re-sold an enclosure that he paid to have made and used in his own car. I have no idea what he paid.

Now that I have it all apart I see that the back is fairly thin. If I end up keeping this I may have to add additional layers to the inside.

I hate to have to reverse this transaction. The only "winner" will be the shipping company. But if I can't use it and can't repair it in a cost-effective manner, I may have to go that route.

The point being that the onus is on the seller to make sure the buyer gets what he paid for in the condition specified. It is SELLERS responsibility to ship it safely and insure appropriately or repair or refund if he can not deliver the promised goods in promised condition.

You could likely salvage it with some fiberglass work yourself, but it really shouldn't be your problem for what you paid.

hispls
11-07-2013, 10:14 AM
the item was under-insured, it is very important that the resolution is as fair as possible to me and the seller.

Don't be a doormat here, bro. Seller dropped the ball not packing adequately, likely used UPS (since they always destroy things) AND tried to cheap out by not insuring for full value. You did NOT pay for a broken box or a box that required you to invest hours of your life trying to figure out how to fix. IMO he should refund you 100% of what you paid, or find someone in your area that will fix it for you and pay for the repair. If he wants it back he should pay return freight (and make sure he pays enough to do it right on the return trip so it doesn't get destroyed more). It's sad, but we all have to learn about proper shipping some time.

Knowmadic
11-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Pursue a full refund. You didn't get what you paid for, doesn't matter what he insured it for. He'll be able to file a claim for the insurance so he can get some of his money back but that is his problem, not yours.

VWBobby
11-07-2013, 11:47 AM
It definitely is the sellers responsibility to pack and ship the item properly so it arrives intact and fully functional. If the package was obviously damaged by the shipping company, that is one thing. However, the box wasn't torn to shreds, so the item was damaged by poor packaging.

Even if the sub was NOT removed from the enclosure, it should not have broken the enclosure. Going over a large pothole or major bump would do about as much jolting as most shipping. I ship a lot of electronics (some VERY heavy), coast to coast, and have never had a problem....in over 12 years of shipping.

phenryiv1
11-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Seller has been reading the threads. I will try to talk to him tonight.

Thanks!