PDA

View Full Version : Sub enclosure suggestions......band pass/isobaric

eg9
11-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Ok......because of space in my 7th gen Accord I'm looking to do a band pass/isobaric enclosure for four 10's.

Yes I know many don't favor these enclosures but in this car I'm not looking for SPL, I'm looking for more SQ or sound to please me! With limited space not much of a choice so more of a SQ setup is what I prefer in my Accord.

I'm looking for feedback, possible box designs and suggestions on which 10's to run as well as a box design. I am willing to offer cash for a quality design!

I'm currently looking at four JL Audio 10w3 or Sundown e10v2's.

Open to other suggestions but would have easily 450x2 rms to the four 10's. possibly more. I'm still trying to learn more about these enclosures so please any technical/professional suggestions or experience would be appreciated.

I'm looking to run either one or two ports through the back dash, whatever is needed to accomplish what I'm looking for!

I want low, clean and loud bass! Now I don't care about someone hearing me a mile away or coming down the street. I want it to be clean, low and loud inside my car. Outside I do not care. I am not looking for SPL quality build.

Buck
11-04-2013, 11:37 PM
What kind of music do you need SQ on?

eg9
11-04-2013, 11:43 PM
I'm not specific on a genre of music. Not going to compete in SQ either.

I do prefer rock, old heavy metal but do incorporate hip hop/rap into the mix some.

And yes........some country, classical and jazz as well..........

Buck
11-04-2013, 11:52 PM
Have you considered IB in the rear deck or something like that?

eg9
11-05-2013, 12:03 AM
Not looking for an infinite baffle setup.

bbeljefe
11-05-2013, 12:16 AM
The reason people don't favor isobaric enclosures now is that there is no real need of them. Subwoofer technology has changed to the point that we now have subs with far more xmax and motor force than in the past and that means we don't need to double up on motor in order to achieve fast response from vented alignments. Not to mention, there are plenty of high EBP subs that will perform well in small enclosures, so again, less need of isobarics.

If you're looking for wide bandwidth with high output I would consider one 12 in a wave transmission line. On about a thousand watts that system will give you plenty of sound pressure, super deep response and it would play well all the way up to and above 80 Hz.

eg9
11-05-2013, 12:32 AM
The reason people don't favor isobaric enclosures now is that there is no real need of them. Subwoofer technology has changed to the point that we now have subs with far more xmax and motor force than in the past and that means we don't need to double up on motor in order to achieve fast response from vented alignments. Not to mention, there are plenty of high EBP subs that will perform well in small enclosures, so again, less need of isobarics.

If you're looking for wide bandwidth with high output I would consider one 12 in a wave transmission line. On about a thousand watts that system will give you plenty of sound pressure, super deep response and it would play well all the way up to and above 80 Hz.

Now how will that sound in a trunk of a vehicle?

That's my dilemma.

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

What will I loose with that setup in my trunk on SQ and volume?

bbeljefe
11-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Good question. You said you're willing to vent two ports through your package tray so with that in mind, why not vent a driver and terminus (t-line "port") through it? If you could do that, losses would be minimum and to be sure, response would be flatter and wider than you could get from a 4th or 6th.

That may not be a perfect scenario but then, nothing in audio is a perfect scenario.

eg9
11-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Good question. You said you're willing to vent two ports through your package tray so with that in mind, why not vent a driver and terminus (t-line "port") through it? If you could do that, losses would be minimum and to be sure, response would be flatter and wider than you could get from a 4th or 6th.

That may not be a perfect scenario but then, nothing in audio is a perfect scenario.

Possibility.