PDA

View Full Version : New member with a quick question

moneypit
11-03-2013, 09:44 PM
I've been out of the game for awhile and am getting back into it. My project truck is a 99 ext. cab s 10 i bought new off the lot in 99. I bought 2 12sa's & a rockford 1500bdcp. All of which should be here wenesday. Now the question. Are the triangle braces in front of the port going to affect tuneing at all. The box specs are 3/4" mdf D 12"x H 18" x W 46 with a 4"x12"port 21" giveing me 33 hz. Useing torres and RE. With 4 cube after displacements.The long brace after the triangle brace is a brace 2" around with the center removed. Just wanting to make sure the braces on the edges & my hollow brace being that close wont effect air flow negatively. Any help would be appreciated

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/ARsR4ME/Snapbucket/C3A06FB0-orig_zps016a6055.jpg

A better veiw of that long hollow brace.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/ARsR4ME/Snapbucket/95732EF5-orig_zps7a3ba681.jpg

Slo_Ride
11-03-2013, 09:57 PM
Should not cause any noticable difference in a daily setup. I wouldn't worry about it

bbeljefe
11-03-2013, 10:21 PM
All of those braces are air dams that will cause turbulence in the box. You obviously need the large brace but frankly, the others aren't going to make any appreciable difference in the strength of the box so I would not use them. Also, the wave guides should not have those reveals. They should run blind into the cabinet wall, again, to avoid having turbulence... especially in the port bend.

As for effecting tuning, I wouldn't worry so much about that as I would noise and the subsequent loss of sound pressure due to cancellation and turbulence.

moneypit
11-03-2013, 11:38 PM
All of those braces are air dams that will cause turbulence in the box. You obviously need the large brace but frankly, the others aren't going to make any appreciable difference in the strength of the box so I would not use them. Also, the wave guides should not have those reveals. They should run blind into the cabinet wall, again, to avoid having turbulence... especially in the port bend.

As for effecting tuning, I wouldn't worry so much about that as I would noise and the subsequent loss of sound pressure due to cancellation and turbulence.

Thanks for the replys. Im not sure what to do about the port bend. Its stapled, screwed and liquid nailed in. Im sure i would do more harm removeing it. Would smothing it out make it better?

bbeljefe
11-04-2013, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the replys. Im not sure what to do about the port bend. Its stapled, screwed and liquid nailed in. Im sure i would do more harm removeing it. Would smothing it out make it better?

Smooth the reveals with some body filler. Way easier and less invasive.