PDA

View Full Version : Quick speaker question

user1134
11-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Hey all, I plan on getting an ab xfl 1222 12" sub and I need some speakers that will keep up with the sub. What speakers would you guys suggest I get and would I need an amp? 5.25 speakers are what fit in my car, and I currently have a Pioneer DEH-2200UB head unit.

jrdnhsnbrg
11-03-2013, 04:55 PM
How many speakers are you looking for? Budget?

user1134
11-03-2013, 05:03 PM
I'm trying not to spend over $150. I was hoping to get 2 sets of speakers. Door and rear. Not sure if $150 is enough for 2 sets of speakers that can sound good with the sub though.

jrdnhsnbrg
11-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Look into Kenwoods, I have 6.5's in the front doors and 6x8's in the rear doors, I have a XFL on 1200W and they keep up well.

Jeffdachef
11-03-2013, 06:38 PM
for the "livin loud" and budget minded people, might want to look into Pro Audio speakers like crescendo pwx or soundqubed QP-MR6.5 for your front stage, it should leave you enough money for a used 2 channel amp and it'll keep up with those subs easily. I would rather have 2 speakers amped rather than 4 speakers on head unit power.

user1134
11-03-2013, 06:52 PM
for the "livin loud" and budget minded people, might want to look into Pro Audio speakers like crescendo pwx or soundqubed QP-MR6.5 for your front stage, it should leave you enough money for a used 2 channel amp and it'll keep up with those subs easily. I would rather have 2 speakers amped rather than 4 speakers on head unit power.

Neither of those would fit in my car. :(

user1134
11-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Look into Kenwoods, I have 6.5's in the front doors and 6x8's in the rear doors, I have a XFL on 1200W and they keep up well.

Will do so!

Jeffdachef
11-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Neither of those would fit in my car. :(

does your car require shallow mounts? are your speaker mounts 6.5s?

jrdnhsnbrg
11-03-2013, 07:40 PM
does your car require shallow mounts? are your speaker mounts 6.5s?

He said 5.25

user1134
11-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Any thought on the JBL GTO528 speakers?

bbeljefe
11-04-2013, 12:21 AM
What kind of power on the sub?
What style box?
Where will it be placed?
In what vehicle?

All of those things make a difference in what you need for mids and highs. At first blush I would say that for sure you need an amp on the mids and highs but if your car is a late model with a nice factory system, the amp may be more important than replacing the factory speakers.

And if you plan to put the new sub in a sealed box, in a trunk, with 500 watts on it.... no need to change anything about the front stage. It'll keep up with that, unless it's a '62 Plymouth Savoy with one speaker in the dash. ;-)

user1134
11-04-2013, 08:26 PM
What kind of power on the sub?
What style box?
Where will it be placed?
In what vehicle?

All of those things make a difference in what you need for mids and highs. At first blush I would say that for sure you need an amp on the mids and highs but if your car is a late model with a nice factory system, the amp may be more important than replacing the factory speakers.

And if you plan to put the new sub in a sealed box, in a trunk, with 500 watts on it.... no need to change anything about the front stage. It'll keep up with that, unless it's a '62 Plymouth Savoy with one speaker in the dash. ;-)

The sub would be powered by a Q1-1200D in a ported enclosure, most likely tuned to 33hz in my trunk. The car is a 96 Jeep Cherokee. I was thinking about getting a Cerwin-Vega HED3400.2 and running one set of JBL GTO528 speakers on one channel till I got the money to run another set on the the other channel. Would this work out? I've been reading a lot lately trying to understand how all this works but now Impedance and Ohms is confusing me to hell. haha

bbeljefe
11-04-2013, 10:30 PM
The sub would be powered by a Q1-1200D in a ported enclosure, most likely tuned to 33hz in my trunk. The car is a 96 Jeep Cherokee. I was thinking about getting a Cerwin-Vega HED3400.2 and running one set of JBL GTO528 speakers on one channel till I got the money to run another set on the the other channel. Would this work out? I've been reading a lot lately trying to understand how all this works but now Impedance and Ohms is confusing me to hell. haha

You would not want to run a stereo pair of speakers on one channel of an amplifier. You can, but you will have no stereo separation. What would be best is to run one speaker per channel until you get the second pair and then connect those to each channel with the others.

Ideally though, you would use a 4 channel amplifier so that you'd also have the ability to attenuate the rear (or front) speakers as needed.