PDA

View Full Version : Enclosure positions

argenis69
11-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Hi, I have a question for you. I was wondering,

1- Does the facing position of the subwoofer speaker and the port in the trunk of a sedan car matter?(my enclosure has both facing same direction).

2- Does it affect the sound output of the bass? , Why?

3- Will the subwoofer be harmed if it's facing upwards?

Reason I'm asking, is because I have the speaker and port facing the rear of the car(facing to the back of the car) and I would like to put it facing upwards to protect the subwoofer more and have more use in my trunk without worrying.

Thank you.

basswiigee
11-02-2013, 06:22 PM
i got mine facing inside the fold down seats... why.... it sounds better to me... when i had it facing up it shook the sh1t outta my 6x9's, and facing the trunk it rattled to the point where my brake light bulbs where falling out, facing in has the cleanest deepest sound to me.... my box also has port and sub facing same direction.... plus facing in i can use all the rest of my trunk...

argenis69
11-03-2013, 01:40 AM
Thanks, Any other opinions?

Jeffdachef
11-03-2013, 01:44 AM
well there's only sideways and downfiring left... just play around until you get your sweetspot, i took out my 6x9s and covered it up and have my stuff firing up its the loudest out of all the other positions for my vehilce. It will be different for your car and everyone else's car thats why you have to experiment. its probably the easiest part of the setup man, have fun with it.

argenis69
11-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Good morning..

jrdnhsnbrg
11-03-2013, 10:49 AM
My seats don't fold down in the back of my car, so when I turned the box towards the back seat (sub and port facing the same way) it was no where near as loud and didn't sound very good, either. Facing the trunk was the loudest, my box is too big to have the sub and port face left or right.

I have heard systems in cars with seats that fold down and they were louder facing into the cab and seats folded down than any other box and seat position. It depends on the car, though.

dragwindsor
11-03-2013, 11:51 AM
I've been trying to get an answer to to this too. Mines down firing in a full size pickup.

bmk6795
11-03-2013, 12:56 PM
when i had a single 12 facing the trunk was the loudest, facing up was almost as loud but not quite as much as facing back. facing into the cab with the seats folded down sounded horrible.

hispls
11-03-2013, 01:16 PM
It will definitely make a difference and it is vehicle specific with orientations will be best. Really if there isn't somebody who had treated with your specific make and model car you will need to play around with things and see for yourself.

SMS
11-03-2013, 02:20 PM
i have a 01 maxima and have tried many different boxes in many positions. firing in i lost almost 5dbs. firing up-port to the side was pretty good. the loudest , lowest and best sounding for me was sub and port back. the only combo i havent tried is sub forward port to the side. kid i know with a altima did quite well on the meter with that setup but he complained about he lack of lows. do you have the bose option speaker on the rear deck?

argenis69
11-03-2013, 05:20 PM
i have a 01 maxima and have tried many different boxes in many positions. firing in i lost almost 5dbs. firing up-port to the side was pretty good. the loudest , lowest and best sounding for me was sub and port back. the only combo i havent tried is sub forward port to the side. kid i know with a altima did quite well on the meter with that setup but he complained about he lack of lows. do you have the bose option speaker on the rear deck?

Thanks to all. I see that you can help me the most, because you and I have the same car.

Yes, I have the Bose sub on the rear deck.

jrdnhsnbrg
11-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Thanks to all. I see that you can help me the most, because you and I have the same car.

Yes, I have the Bose sub on the rear deck.

Is the Bose sub still in use? Depending on how much power you're running, sub, and enclosure, that Bose sub probably won't last long due to the pressure from your system.

argenis69
11-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Is the Bose sub still in use? Depending on how much power you're running, sub, and enclosure, that Bose sub probably won't last long due to the pressure from your system.

Its been disconnected since I installed my sp4.

jrdnhsnbrg
11-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Its been disconnected since I installed my sp4.

Maybe pull the Bose sub out and aim your sub up and into the hole, therefore into the cab? Either way I'd pull that sub out.

argenis69
11-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Maybe pull the Bose sub out and aim your sub up and into the hole, therefore into the cab? Either way I'd pull that sub out.

Pulling out the Bose sub sounds safe, but will the sound of my sp4 be louder if I aim the port upwards.

jrdnhsnbrg
11-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Pulling out the Bose sub sounds safe, but will the sound of my sp4 be louder if I aim the port upwards.

No idea. Would you have to build a new box to test it out? I'd try to keep the port and sub on the same plane.

SMS
11-03-2013, 06:25 PM
just take the factory sub out and leave the grill. theres like a 9"x7" hole that will allow more to get into the cabin. move your box around as much as you can to see what gains

argenis69
11-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Ok, I will try to get that bose sub out, but it looks like you guys are saying that the best sound output will be the sub and port facing the back of the car.

jrdnhsnbrg
11-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Ok, I will try to get that bose sub out, but it looks like you guys are saying that the best sound output will be the sub and port facing the back of the car.

No, that's just what works best for our vehicles in particular. Don't knock it until you try it

argenis69
11-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Ok, well I will see what happens.

pro-rabbit
11-04-2013, 10:47 AM
The sound and output are all relative to the application and design.

Simply saying it will be louder one way versus the other is not possible with out knowing all the information. Some can speak on what has done well for their application, but that is only for what they liked or worked well for them.

In most cases where you are trying to protect the driver, the idea of front firing is normally a better choice. However, tuning can be an issue if your enclosure was tuned to fire toward the rear. Same moving everything to firing up.

In your case, just trying to see how they sound for you would be ideal. If something seems "off" write it down and move to the next testing position. Then figure out a pros cons list on all positions and go from there.

macsdad
11-04-2013, 11:09 AM
I have a hatchback, to protect my sub, I have the sub up and port back. The box is set as close to the rear of the hatch as it can go, sounds pretty decent. As stated before, you just have to experiment with your particular vehicle, good luck in your endeavor.

argenis69
11-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Thanks