PDA

View Full Version : What to tune a box for 2 Sundown X 18s to

cooper1123
10-31-2013, 03:35 PM
I will be installing 2 Sundown X 18s in my Tahoe and I'm not sure on what frequency to tune the box to. Each sub will have about 8 cubes each after displacement and port area and this is for a daily application, I'm not exactly trying to chase numbers or do burps. I was thinking around 27-30 ish but I would like some input from other opinions. Also, I will be running the subs on a Rockford Fosgate t2500. Any info or personal opinions will be appreciated.

bubbagumper6
10-31-2013, 03:47 PM
It depends on your tastes. I like to tune very low because I prefer a more even output across the frequency range and the ability to play the lower frequencies with authority...some guys like to tune higher to get that peaky response with maximum output at a single frequency. Then there's a lot of area inbetween if you want a little bit of both.

I usually throw my woofer specs into WinISD and model a few different enclosures and tuning choices to see what the response curve will look like. Just keep in mind that's an ideal theoretical calculation and the vehicle changes what the final output curve looks like because of it's resonance frequency and whatnot.

Bottomline, tune below 30Hz or go home ;)

cooper1123
10-31-2013, 03:58 PM
It depends on your tastes. I like to tune very low because I prefer a more even output across the frequency range and the ability to play the lower frequencies with authority...some guys like to tune higher to get that peaky response with maximum output at a single frequency. Then there's a lot of area inbetween if you want a little bit of both.

I usually throw my woofer specs into WinISD and model a few different enclosures and tuning choices to see what the response curve will look like. Just keep in mind that's an ideal theoretical calculation and the vehicle changes what the final output curve looks like because of it's resonance frequency and whatnot.

Bottomline, tune below 30Hz or go home ;)

I appreciate the response man. BTW I love your signature!!! Billy Madison FTW!!!!

T3mpest
11-03-2013, 12:13 AM
Yeah if your doing this for daily listening to music 27-30hz is where you want to be.

Slo_Ride
11-03-2013, 12:26 AM
25 hz

Buck
11-03-2013, 07:17 PM
28 hz