PDA

View Full Version : SQ Components for 87 el camino

JayWheezy
10-30-2013, 07:44 PM
How's it going guys? Alright, so I am just kind of doing my research beforehand. So in the near future, I am going to be building speaker pods in the door panels of my 1987 el camino, and would really like a good set of sq components. That's where you guys come in handy haha. I've looked around a little bit, at speakers and my application, and have decided that the speakers need to be fairly slim to fit correctly and still be comfortable while driving. So far i've been looking at cdt es-6im, cdt CL-6SL, and Focal Integration ISS 165. Also had a friend of mine suggest soundstreams stl.65c, or precision powers ph2.65c. I personally have never heard any of these, and would like your opinions on any of these, or others you think would work well. I am also not stuck on 6.5's, so if you have other suggestions, feel free. I am just looking for something that will sound good, and will mesh well with another future project for the car, 2 idq 12's.

audiobaun
10-30-2013, 08:01 PM
If you are going to go through th4e process of custom building pods for the doors,why not do so with a more common depth set of components to give you several options,rather than limited?Just thought Id ask.I run CDT in my truck, and have to say that they sound pretty nice for the money.Id like to try a set of Image Dynamics,in which Ive heard,and sound really nice as well.Going to a local sound/off,or a large car audio show gives you the time to listen to different types of speakers, and different types of set ups,to get an idea of what you like for yourself.What I like or others,may sound like pure crap to you.Budget is the main focus to get started of trying to get the best for your money.PHD,Hertz,Focal,CDT,Image Dynamics,Morrell,or even making your own set/up from Parts Express.com with Dayton Mids/woofers,and a decent set of Vifa tweets.Running Active?Passive?What kind of music do you listen to most of all?Will you be placing any type of sound deadening of 40-100%? All factors are considered for wants/needs,for the budget.

JayWheezy
10-30-2013, 08:13 PM
As of right now, I have no audio in the car, so I'm just taking it one step at a time lol, I will be sound deadening it eventually. I listen to mostly rock/metal, reggae, and some rap/hip hop. I would rather run active, but i've never done it before and may just go passive until I have everything actually ready. I could build the pods to fit a bigger speaker, but that would either consist of cutting out some of the metal under the panel, and there's not a whole lot of space in the door by doing that anyways, or building the pod further out, which then will be in the way of the legs, and may get broken at some point. I will look more under the panel about cutting out some space, as that would be nice to not really have to narrow my selection down.

audiobaun
10-30-2013, 08:22 PM
If you build external pods to attach to the door panels,and glass them,they can be very riggid,and you could wrap them with some kind of matching vinyl for a custom finish.I will be adding a dual 6.5 pod setup on my truck doors soon,and more than likely wrap them later on to finish.There are a couple great HU to get to run active.Clarion CZ702,Pioneer 80prs(Pico fuse issues if care is not taken)and I was introduced to a JVC that I forgot the model # of that Im sure to be getting for the money.

audiobaun
10-30-2013, 08:25 PM
Id look at what kind of space you are willing to give up/need for a set of components, and look at some options at that point.Depth ect. 6.5 components should fit nicely,in that car

JayWheezy
10-30-2013, 08:39 PM
That's what i'm planning, idk if you've seen the panels before or not, but at the bottom, there's carpet, and i'm going to strip the carpet and fiberglass that section, while fiberglassing the speaker pods, then painting them, but I am still worried about accidentally kicking them. Thank you though, I will definitely put some more thought into it. I also was thinking of doing dual pods, but I don't know yet, also because of the space issue, and just because depending on the speakers I get, it may take some time to get two pairs.

http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/poqac/121027/871r1/79383f4_27.jpeg

audiobaun
10-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Yes sir..Sounds like you are doing it right.Taking your time to find the space to be given up/for the drivers/speakers is the main focus,as well as location for getting the locations of the speakers to sound,and do well.Angled even make the difference also.Lots of room:D

JayWheezy
10-30-2013, 08:58 PM
I am planning on angling them as well, maybe i'm just worrying over nothing lol. Just trying to find a good pair of sq speakers that won't break the bank, I could probably pay up to $400-500, but I'd rather not pay that much, so I can work on getting the subs and sound deadening as well haha. Especially if I go with two speakers in each door. I was definitely looking at the 80prs, but what do you mean about the fuse issues?

trumpet
10-30-2013, 10:20 PM
The CDT woofers will work best playing into the door cavity rather than strangled in a tiny pod. That's assuming you want strong midbass from them. If the IDQ 12s you intend to add later will be in an enclosure that lets them cover 2-2.5 octaves then you have some leeway. Between ES-6iM and CL-6SL I would expect ES-6iM to be vastly superior. CDT spent over 2 years developing ES-6iM to get the inverted motor design just right.

I have tested CL-6SL and the Precision Power woofer from the PH2.65S set and the PPI woofer does a better job below 100 Hz. These were mounted in a test box measuring roughly 0.5 cu ft, not in a door. If you ever want the system to be loud I'd give both of these woofers a pass, but they do sound nice for casual listening.

JayWheezy
10-30-2013, 10:40 PM
So you think the es-6im's would definitely be worth it? Also, just so you guys know, when i said loud, i don't mean ridiculously loud so everyone around me will hear. I just like my music fairly loud while focusing on sq lol.
EDIT: Also, I haven't done the measurements yet, but I will be placing the idq's in a box that will take up the storage area behind the seat, which is pretty big, so i think they should be pretty good. But if I were to cut out the door cavity for the speakers, do you think that would sound better rather than having them in the pods and angled?

trumpet
10-30-2013, 11:44 PM
If you don't mind cutting the car I think making holes for the speakers is the better option. That may get you a lot more available depth. I can explain more later when I'm not on my phone.

JayWheezy
10-31-2013, 12:05 AM
That would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to pm me, thank you!