PDA

View Full Version : How much do enclosures REALLY matter?

Biggiesmails72
10-28-2013, 05:56 PM
I have my amp, i have my sub, just need an enclosure at this point. I've listened to subs and you can instantly tell when theres a BAD enclosure. It just doesnt sound good at all, but how much does it matter to be EXACTLY tuned to the sub? The sub I have now is *hopefully* temporary.. and dont want to have to spend a ton on a box right now. Would any box that is built for a 15 work just fine?

4OZGLOVES
10-28-2013, 05:58 PM
It means a ton. I have a set of 15's at home you can run at 1.25 cubes a price sealed. Another set can only run ported , some like small boxes , some like large boxes. What kind of sub are you running.

bbeljefe
10-28-2013, 05:59 PM
If "any box that built for a fifteen" could work fine then how in the hell have you ever heard a bad sounding box?

Think about that for a moment. You answered your own question.

audiobaun
10-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Why don't you get with @Buck and get a design for the sub you have on hand, and build it to specs yourself , and can save you some money, and be right for that sub? @High Output Enclosures in the vendor section. A chitty /cheap sub in the properly tuned box can in most cases perform badd asss compaired to an expensive sub in a prefabbed/non spec/non tuned enclosure.

Buck
10-28-2013, 06:10 PM
The design/quality of you box is the heart of your substage.

Biggiesmails72
10-28-2013, 06:18 PM
It means a ton. I have a set of 15's at home you can run at 1.25 cubes a price sealed. Another set can only run ported , some like small boxes , some like large boxes. What kind of sub are you running.

Im going to be using a Hifonics BRZ15D4 for the time being, but i want to end up getting either 2 obsidian audio v3 12 or 15's

___

If "any box that built for a fifteen" could work fine then how in the hell have you ever heard a bad sounding box?

Think about that for a moment. You answered your own question.

This box just sounded like it was loose and built poorly, IDK, didnt seem like a tuning issue more than a built like crap issue but maybe those are the same things

___

Why don't you get with @Buck and get a design for the sub you have on hand, and build it to specs yourself , and can save you some money, and be right for that sub? @High Output Enclosures in the vendor section. A chitty /cheap sub in the properly tuned box can in most cases perform badd asss compaired to an expensive sub in a prefabbed/non spec/non tuned enclosure.

I'd love to do that.. at this point i think me building the box is the best way to do this. I just need to specs for it and thats been the issue. I have no idea how to get the specs

__

audiobaun
10-28-2013, 06:29 PM
What subwoofer is it..Brand/Model number,ect? Maybe a pic of the subs cone area, and the back of the magnet will give someone a chance to identify it as well..A little help

Biggiesmails72
10-28-2013, 06:38 PM
What subwoofer is it..Brand/Model number,ect? Maybe a pic of the subs cone area, and the back of the magnet will give someone a chance to identify it as well..A little help

http://www.hifonics.com/current_manuals/hifonics_brutus_brz_subwoofer_manual.pdf heres the manual for it, i have the BRZ15D4. If you need anything else I can provide it

audiobaun
10-28-2013, 06:43 PM
http://www.hifonics.com/current_manuals/hifonics_brutus_brz_subwoofer_manual.pdf heres the manual for it, i have the BRZ15D4. If you need anything else I can provide it

Link didn't work for me...without looking up the specs as of yet, just by the notation, you have a DVC4 ohm 15in sub? Ill look that up

Biggiesmails72
10-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Link didn't work for me...without looking up the specs as of yet, just by the notation, you have a DVC4 ohm 15in sub? Ill look that up

Yes, 15 inch 4 ohm. Links working for me just tell me what #s (http://www.caraudio.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=s) you need and ill get them for you

jeffdachef
10-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Im going to be using a Hifonics BRZ15D4 for the time being, but i want to end up getting either 2 obsidian audio v3 12 or 15's

___

This box just sounded like it was loose and built poorly, IDK, didnt seem like a tuning issue more than a built like crap issue but maybe those are the same things

___

I'd love to do that.. at this point i think me building the box is the best way to do this. I just need to specs for it and thats been the issue. I have no idea how to get the specs

__

if your going to get the obsidians in the future, why not build a dual ported 15 box with seperate chambers meant for the OA 15s, your current hifonics sub should sound decent in that enclosure but the main thing is, you dont need to build another box when you order the obsidians.

audiobaun
10-28-2013, 07:11 PM
600 rms sub Min/Max sealed enclosure recommended is 1.75 cubic feet,and from 2.0 to 4.0 ported.Thats what I got @sonic electronix website.I did not see the recommendations for tuning. Id recommend from 34-38 htz for that sub if I were putting it in.You can gotoHifonics website and look the complete specs up,and or give them a call and get them to email you the specs for that sub.Thats generally FREE.

Biggiesmails72
10-28-2013, 08:35 PM
if your going to get the obsidians in the future, why not build a dual ported 15 box with seperate chambers meant for the OA 15s, your current hifonics sub should sound decent in that enclosure but the main thing is, you dont need to build another box when you order the obsidians.

That would be fantastic, is that recommended? Would I just have an opening where my 2nd sub would go?

jeffdachef
10-28-2013, 09:36 PM
That would be fantastic, is that recommended? Would I just have an opening where my 2nd sub would go?

2 seperate chambers means it will look something like this

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrTcXmrEG9SgcUAaiSJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTIzMG 5qMDZwBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZAMzYjZkMWEwNzFmMzUz YWQ3YTM0NTA5OGI4MWM0ZTJmOARncG9zAzMzBGl0A2Jpbmc-?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearc h%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dported%2Bbox%26fr%3Dyfp-t-900%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26spos%3D12%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D33&w=753&h=609&imgurl=img145.imageshack.us%2Fimg145%2F8954%2Fdual port2xb7.png&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.caraudio.com%2Fforums%2Fencl osure-design-construction-help%2F234138-%25244-xx-best-ported-box-design-2.html&size=55.5KB&name=xx+for+best+%3Cb%3Eported+box+%3C%2Fb%3Edesig n+-+Page+2&p=ported+box&oid=3b6d1a071f353ad7a345098b81c4e2f8&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t-900&tt=xx+for+best+%3Cb%3Eported+box+%3C%2Fb%3Edesign+-+Page+2&b=31&ni=128&no=33&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=13eqic87e&sigb=13c4e802m&sigi=11h6r9fmv&.crumb=MaJgpoeLBKO&fr=yfp-t-900

so you can have ur single hifonics in one of the chambers for the time being and when you get your two OA 15s you can just take out the hifonics and pop both of them on. Plan ahead, save some dough.

jeffdachef
10-28-2013, 09:39 PM
the box specs for the OAs are a little bit bigger than the hifonics so go easy with the power.

Side Show
10-28-2013, 09:42 PM
very important

mlstrass
10-29-2013, 01:03 AM
Or get a cheapo pre fab sealed for now that is the size you need for your current sub and build the box for the OA's once you get them...