PDA

View Full Version : Port size

sweety
10-28-2013, 04:24 PM
I'm going to use a tube port in the 1.41ft^3 enclosure for my 10" JBL sub but not sure if to use a 2" port which JBL recommends or to use a 3" port. Is there any pro's/con's for each size & which would be louder

T3mpest
10-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Generally having a port that is a bit too big won't hurt anything. Larger ports are more efficient at higher output levels and at worst case it's a bit overkill and will make the box be larger than needed to fit it. If it's no issue to fit the box/port either way, I'd do the 3 or even just do a 2.5. You won't lose anything by going bigger.

sweety
10-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks:cool: a 2" port needs to be 4" long or a 3" needs to be just over 10" long for a 33Hz if i've got my maths right. I've made a very rough box & have use a 3" cardboard tube for the port to test out which way to have the sub & port ie facing the rear door or facing up or even across the boot sorry trunk before I build the real enclosure. Have had a sealed box for years which sounded ok but wasn't really happy with it as I wanted more from this sub