PDA

View Full Version : Leaving toward PA speakers

Lschevelle
10-23-2013, 05:38 AM
I'm starting to lean towards PA in my doors because their loud. I want something that will keep up with a pair of 15's. Is there a way to make PA sound good? What's are some good brands to look into?

jeffdachef
10-23-2013, 05:58 AM
just grab a pair of crescendo pwx or soundqubed PAs and deaden your doors then play with the EQ and test it out, they arent that expensive.

Jes 42
10-23-2013, 06:07 AM
What Jeff said.Love the sound of my Crescendo pwx's.Get loud and sound good.Run some nice tweets and you're set.

NASTY08IMPALA
10-23-2013, 06:11 AM
I run all aq pa active with well deadened doors amd love it

Side Show
10-24-2013, 12:48 AM
sorry PA?

NASTY08IMPALA
10-24-2013, 01:01 AM
sorry PA?

Pro audio

Side Show
10-24-2013, 01:06 AM
image dynamics horns and 8" mids.

Silverado SS
10-24-2013, 01:10 AM
No need to run PA just for a pair of 15s? How many mids and tweets are you running?

UnderFire
10-24-2013, 02:16 AM
Highly recommend checking out the Lanzar 6PM mids (ebay), Have been running them for nearly a year now, and I bought them used, they are taking more than 150W daily, no problems and they sound surprisingly good.

UnderFire
10-24-2013, 02:16 AM
Highly recommend checking out the Lanzar 6PM mids (ebay), Have been running them for nearly a year now, and I bought them used, they are taking more than 150W daily, no problems and they sound surprisingly good.

naughtyca
10-24-2013, 07:46 AM
I used the Pyle PPA6 from parts express they are $10 each, you can also get them from amazon and it son prime so free shipping. I run 6 of these on a 2 channel amp and its very clear, the only thing i dont like is it has a big white lettering of Pyle on the cone lol. buy 1 of them and try it for $10 you cant go wrong, if you do you tube there is a selenium vs ppa6 review

naughtyca
10-24-2013, 07:46 AM
I used the Pyle PPA6 from parts express they are $10 each, you can also get them from amazon and it son prime so free shipping. I run 6 of these on a 2 channel amp and its very clear, the only thing i dont like is it has a big white lettering of Pyle on the cone lol. buy 1 of them and try it for $10 you cant go wrong, if you do you tube there is a selenium vs ppa6 review

bbeljefe
10-24-2013, 09:07 AM
No need to run PA just for a pair of 15s? How many mids and tweets are you running?

"Just for a pair of 15s" is quite the generalization.

Which 15s in what sort of cabinet? How much power? What vehicle are they in?

I'm running Neo Pro 8s in front of two Zv3 15s in a wave transmission line in a full sized Dodge truck with ~5500 watts on them. A pair of 6.5s on 150 watts each would scarcely keep up with them. The Neos are on 300 wpc.

Silverado SS
10-24-2013, 01:14 PM
"Just for a pair of 15s" running e the generalization.

Which 15s in what sort of cabinet? How much power? What vehicle are they in?

I'm running Neo Pro 8s in front of two Zv3 15s in a wave transmission line in a full sized Dodge truck with ~5500 watts on them. A pair of 6.5s on 150 watts each would scarcely keep up with them. The Neos are on 300 wpc.

Yes was very general but OP didn't say what he's running but yes I can see only one pair of mids may not keep up so why not run more than one set of mids? And keep SQ? Not saying PA sounds horrible although a lot of the time it does, a proper PA set up sounds fine

bbeljefe
10-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Yes was very general but OP didn't say what he's running but yes I can see only one pair of mids may not keep up so why not run more than one set of mids? And keep SQ? Not saying PA sounds horrible although a lot of the time it does, a proper PA set up sounds fine

So far I've had no problems with my PA mids keeping up or with sound quality. In fact, the most common comment I get when I demo is that even though the system is loud, it's still crystal clear.

In my opinion, PA speakers can sound great in vehicles with one caveat, which applies to all speakers... if they are set up correctly.

Silverado SS
10-24-2013, 02:00 PM
So far I've had no problems with my PA mids keeping up or with sound quality. In fact, the most common comment I get when I demo is that even though the system is loud, it's still crystal clear.

In my opinion, PA speakers can sound great in vehicles with one caveat, which applies to all speakers... if they are set up correctly.

Agree can sound good like I said but many times its excuted porly

BlurredVision
10-24-2013, 02:06 PM
I don't see the need for them either with a pair of 15"s. A good component set with the tweets reflecting off the windshield or mounted in the pillar should be plenty loud. My RF T1 tweeters were in the flush mounted in the dash reflecting off the windshield and was loud enough to hurt or ears and sounded crystal clear.

Silverado SS
10-24-2013, 02:17 PM
We need the OP to say what he has in order too help out a little more

T3mpest
10-24-2013, 02:18 PM
If it hurt your ears it wasn't as nice as you think.. Your tweets probably hurt your ears because they were overly bright. When you can playback flat and with low distortion you'd be surprised how loud you can take something before anyone complains. More than once I let people set the volume knob where they wanted on my stereo and often you couldn't yell over it without quite a bit of trying, although just listening to it, it didnt' seem "that" loud. Only when they tried to talk did they realize it was WAY louder than they though it it was.

Pro audio when done right is like the difference between getting mainstream subwoofers or going with the forum brands. Your paying less money for a much louder product that sounds just as good or better. Unfortunately, what most people do is also akin to putting a bunch of SA12's in too small of a sealed box on not nearly enough power and wondering why it's not loud and doesn't get low. No **** a bunch of 30 dollar mids wired down to .25 ohm scattered around a vehicle with tweets in 7 different locations doesn't sound good. Nobody in their right mind would expect it too, just like 12 SA12's in 5 cubic feet sealed on a 700 watt Jensen amp isn't going to be amazing either.

Buy decent/good pro audio (yes you may pay more than 15 per speaker) and put them in good deadened locations, fiberglassed kickpanels, etc and pay attention to tweeter aiming and you'll end up with something that sounds like any good component set, but gets around 2x as loud to your ears, and with less distortion at the higher volume levels that car audio guys tend to listen at.

For many years all the top SQ cars used pro audio. It was more realistic sounding at lifelike levels with lowered distortion when you had it all dialed in properly. When things get loud enough with low enough distortion that's the best way to describe it, it sounds real. I remember when I got my first PA system dialed in someone asked me if it was loud and I made a funny face. I told him yeah, but not in the way you expect, because it's not, it's totally different on a good recording.. Sure bad recordings get "loud" good recording start to sound "real", it's a nice distinction.

erod
10-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Beyma only thing i run as far as loud speakers goes