PDA

View Full Version : Looking for $150-$200 Single Din Head Unit

Mikerodrig27
10-16-2013, 12:36 AM
As far as my experience goes, I'm a newb.

I'm looking for a single din head unit for my 1998 Dodge Ram.

Features I'm looking for:
Ipod Compatibility
USB
Aux
Great sound quality

Features I don't care about:
Pandora
Blutooth
CD Player
Pandora
Ect.

I don't plan on installing an amplifier but eventually will replace the stock speakers with nicer sounding ones.

Looking to see if there is a head unit that sticks out from the rest. Thanks!

Saw the Kenwood KDC-X996 and thought that was interesting.

trumpet
10-17-2013, 06:06 PM
You can't get iPod support without Pandora. Pandora over USB is one of the most popular features, so take it. Bluetooth comes on just about any good head unit in that price range, and once you have it you might appreciate it. You could get a Clarion CZ702, or possibly a Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS. Some of the newer Pioneer single DINs have good sets of features and they're priced below your budget.

basswiigee
10-17-2013, 07:20 PM
i got a pioneer p7200HD up for grabs in that price range.... Pioneer P7200HD Photos by basswiigee74 | Photobucket (http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/basswiigee74/library/pioneer%20p7200HD)

DEH-P7200HD - CD Receiver with HD Radio, Full Motion OEL Display and USB Direct Control of iPod | Pioneer Electronics USA (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-P7200HD)

first link has some videos and pics second one is specs...

Mikerodrig27
10-24-2013, 02:55 AM
Just realized this thread was double posted. Here is my response to the other thread:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/head-units/594444-looking-%24150-%24200-single-din-head-unit.html

"Just got a pioneer deh-80prs. Now I just need to get a new set of speakers and start looking into an amp. If you guys have any advice, I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 with 6x9 front speakers. I'm looking for good quality clean sound that isn't going to brake the bank.

I'm going to upgrade the front speakers first because my stock shitinity front speakers have been pronounced dead.

Not sure on what I need for the amp either. I'm going with the stock speaker configuration. 2 pillar tweets, fronts and rears."

If you don't mind posting any further advice in that thread, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Mikerodrig27
10-24-2013, 02:56 AM
Just realized this thread was double posted. Here is my response to the other thread:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/head-units/594444-looking-%24150-%24200-single-din-head-unit.html

"Just got a pioneer deh-80prs. Now I just need to get a new set of speakers and start looking into an amp. If you guys have any advice, I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 with 6x9 front speakers. I'm looking for good quality clean sound that isn't going to brake the bank.

I'm going to upgrade the front speakers first because my stock shitinity front speakers have been pronounced dead.

Not sure on what I need for the amp either. I'm going with the stock speaker configuration. 2 pillar tweets, fronts and rears."

If you don't mind posting any further advice in that thread, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

calebkhill
10-24-2013, 03:07 AM
I like the rf t1693 6x9s. Great set for the price in my opinion, less than 100$.
Ppi bk 800.4 would fit with that setup perfect, on sonic for 180 shipped i believe

So fur 280 you'd have a nice system, sounds good and can get loud.

Of course recommendations come a dime a dozen

Mikerodrig27
10-25-2013, 12:30 AM
Thanks

SounDrive
10-25-2013, 12:33 AM
I've got a Pioneer DEH-P500UB for $100 + shipping if you want it. Great sounding Premier unit.

Mikerodrig27
10-25-2013, 01:06 AM
Thanks but already bought a deh-80prs.

I'm thinking of going with round speakers. Looking for quality of sound / dollar and from what I'm reading, that's where I should be looking.

I'm also thinking that upgrading my rears isn't that important. I might even fade to the forward channel for normal listening. The only way that I would consider messing with the rears is if I could run some kind of woofer in the doors. Maybe an 6 3/4" or 8"? I'm new to this so this is just an idea. This would prob require some cutting but may be worth it if I can use them to fill in the lower frequencies.

If I had a 4 channel amp, could I accomplish power two bassier subs in the rear doors and two clean sounding speakers in the front? Is this even a good idea?