PDA

View Full Version : 3 Way Component DIY?

Athelestan
10-16-2013, 01:14 AM
Hey guys,
it's time to upgrade the sound system in my car, and I was thinking about going 3 way component for the front stage. This is what I have so far. Tell me if this will work, if its a good idea, or if you think I should use a different speaker instead of what I have. I am planning to amp the whole system plus 2 rear coaxial speakers with a JL HD600/4 amp.

Tweeter:
Dayton Audio RS28F-4 1-1/8" Silk Dome Tweeter

Mid Range:
HiVi M5a 5" Aluminum/Magnesium Midbass

Mid Bass:
Dayton Audio RS180-4 7" Reference Woofer 4 Ohm

Crossover: Kicker KX3

Does this sound feasible? Would it even sound good? Thanks for any and all help guys this is my first audio car build so I might be kind of a beginner. If it matters any my head unit will be an Alpha Nav AN5650NV and my rear speakers are Kicker 40CS674. Any other information just ask and I will fill in what I can. Any reccomendations help a lot thanks guys!

calebkhill
10-16-2013, 02:27 AM
2 tweets and 6 woofer. Think you'll need more than 4 channel.
Nice amp though.
Idk about the head uni or hivi speakers, but Dayton makes good stuff.

You should figure out how many channels you'll need and where you are going to mount all the speakers.
If you got the cz702 head unit for 150 on sonic, you wouldn't need the extra crossover, because your head unit and amps will have the crossover you'd need.

Think your heading in the right way with Dayton though

Athelestan
10-16-2013, 02:41 AM
2 tweets and 6 woofer. Think you'll need more than 4 channel.
Nice amp though.
Idk about the head uni or hivi speakers, but Dayton makes good stuff.

You should figure out how many channels you'll need and where you are going to mount all the speakers.
If you got the cz702 head unit for 150 on sonic, you wouldn't need the extra crossover, because your head unit and amps will have the crossover you'd need.

Think your heading in the right way with Dayton though

No I think you misunderstood. I am making a 3 way active component set hence the crossover!

calebkhill
10-16-2013, 03:38 AM
That crossover has 3 outputs, highs, mids, subs.
That's 2 tweets, 2 mids, and 2 subs.

You have 2 tweets, 6 mids. Idk about your subs

trumpet
10-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Even with the Kicker crossover you're not setting up the ideal active system, even a budget active system. To properly do this you need a low pass filter for the top end of the midrange speakers so you cut off the top end before the frequency response gets messy. Something in the range of 2,500-4,000 Hz at no lower than 12 dB/octave would be a good choice. The Alpha-Nav head unit is good, but it's made to be easy to use, not for audiophiles. I ran that model in my car for a while with a JBL MS-8 processor.

garychoffmann
10-16-2013, 12:15 PM
If your dead set on doing it this way, you have to find the ideal crossover frequency's. The kickers may work, but the difference between a kicker and a vida will be huge. Find out the crossover points of the kx3. I've done quite a few home built 3 ways but crossovers are the key.