PDA

View Full Version : few questions for the experienced

Lschevelle
10-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Is there a program that let you enter the specs of different subs to compare output? Are fourth orders worth the extra work to go with over a regular ported enclosure?

how much space is needed for these subs in a fourth order
two 18's
two 15's
four 12's

bbeljefe
10-09-2013, 10:21 AM
There are a number of modeling programs that allow you to model multiple subs and boxes.

As for 4th orders, what are you trying to accomplish and with which subs? That may or may not be the best choice, depending on those and a few other factors.

No one can tell you how much space a random sized sub will need for a given enclosure. Again, it depends on the sub and what you're trying to accomplish. i.e. Do you want a burp box for competing? Do you want more mid bass for rock and metal or low bass for rap, et al? Or, do you want flat response across the entire sub bass region?

winkychevelle
10-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Forth orders are really only good if you have awesome midbass or are willing to give up a little low bass. Usually they only cover about an octave where as a good ported box can reach up to about 3 octaves

assuming
1 octave 20-40hz
2 octave 40-80hz

in some cases ported boxes can reach 3 octaves
20-40, 40-80, 80-160

but really we only need 30hz-80hz in most applications

depending on vehicles low tuning can result in a flat respone usually smaller cars

In suvs u can tune higher and still reach low due to the lower cabin gain.

my versa for example gain 3-5db 62-75hz but my box starts dropping at 58hz.so where the box drops off the car picks up resulting in a much flatter response that if I was tuned higher.

im tuned to 32hz now I want to tune to 33hz and see if I can close the gap inbetween the box fall the the cabin gain

Lschevelle
10-09-2013, 08:58 PM
There are a number of modeling programs that allow you to model multiple subs and boxes.

As for 4th orders, what are you trying to accomplish and with which subs? That may or may not be the best choice, depending on those and a few other factors.

No one can tell you how much space a random sized sub will need for a given enclosure. Again, it depends on the sub and what you're trying to accomplish. i.e. Do you want a burp box for competing? Do you want more mid bass for rock and metal or low bass for rap, et al? Or, do you want flat response across the entire sub bass region?
the subs im most interested in is the zv4 and sp4 15's and i listen to mainly rap