PDA

View Full Version : New here - installation problem!

jackfiasco
09-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Hi everyone. I just found this forum while searching for solutions to some installation issues I am having and am hoping you guys can help me out..

I was replacing the stock cd player on a 2001 Honda CRV with a newer (Dual brand) cd player that I had previously installed in a different vehicle. Only I was missing the wiring harness for it this time so I bought one online but it wasn't the correct one. I tried finding a diagram for it and couldn't so the best I could do was find a photo of one online and wire up mine accordingly. So I did that and when I turned the car on the stereo turned on for a second and then emitted a tiny wisp of smoke and died.

The radio fuse in the car had blown so I replaced it and tried hooking up the stock stereo again and it won't turn on. I even bought a brand new Dual unit, which came with the correct wiring harness and it won't power on either. So whatever blew, in addition to blowing the fuse, did some other damage too.

I assume next I have to check the cables with a meter and see where it's not getting power? I don't have my meter with me so I haven't been able to do that yet. And if I check the 12volt (red) cable and it isn't getting power - which seems like that would be the case - what do I do next?

Thanks in advance !
Jack

mylows10
09-26-2013, 08:49 PM
Replace the radio fuse on the fuse panel

jackfiasco
09-26-2013, 08:51 PM
I did. And I have checked it again several times to make sure it's still good, which it is.. and still nothing.

garychoffmann
09-26-2013, 09:07 PM
Make sure you're getting power at the fuse panel

Side Show
09-26-2013, 09:12 PM
post pics, the colour of the wires in the dash (existing wiring) souldn't match up with the new headunit wiring. whats this red wire your talking about? that is ually the accessories on the deck harness, and the yellow is the constant

jackfiasco
09-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Nevermind I found the problem.. Backup radio fuse on the panel under the hood!

Side Show
09-26-2013, 09:26 PM
too lubly champ!