PDA

View Full Version : How many layers is enough?

cyber256
05-18-2004, 01:33 AM
I'm fairly new at glassing and I'm planning on making two custom sub enclosures to fit into the back corners of my trunk (seperate from each other). The thing is the subs I'm going to use are 12" Brahmas so how many layers should I use to ensure a solid box? I was thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of seven layers but I wanted to get insight from anyone whos done similar work. Thanks

ramos
05-18-2004, 10:25 AM
Dpends on the weight of the mat and or cloth you intend to use. I like kyntex biaxial 15 or 17oz myself for sub enclosures. In most cases it only takes 2 two three layers and you can park your car on it . :)

Bill T.
05-18-2004, 11:05 AM
3/8" thick of glass is equivilent to 3/4" MDF.

Bill T.

ramos
05-19-2004, 07:23 AM
You can't say that without knowing thickness and weight of the mat, orientation of the lamination, and several other factors. :)

XTRMEASURES
09-23-2004, 11:29 AM
yes its true but its uselly around that size...(1/4-3/8)
so if you can get it that thick youll be ok...
i use really thick matt and i also use a resin thats 20 times stronger then the stuff you get at hardwhare stores, so that helps too...........

good luck
jamie

ramos
09-23-2004, 12:53 PM
What kind of resin do you use ?? You got to let me in on this secret. I use good old west systems epoxy mainly. Strong enough for man but made for me :D And for mat/cloth I use kyntex biaxial for sub enclosures cause I'm a lazy beeyatch and don't want lay 5 or 10 layers down. Two layers of 17oz kyntex biaxial, and even my fat arse can stand on it :)

ANeonRider
09-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Overkill ownz, 10oz matte here, 7 layers usually. I can jump up and down on it when its done.

XTRMEASURES
09-23-2004, 10:03 PM
What kind of resin do you use ?? You got to let me in on this secret. I use good old west systems epoxy mainly. Strong enough for man but made for me :D And for mat/cloth I use kyntex biaxial for sub enclosures cause I'm a lazy beeyatch and don't want lay 5 or 10 layers down. Two layers of 17oz kyntex biaxial, and even my fat arse can stand on it :)

i live in louisana were we have offshore rigs and platforms. so theres companys that build fiberglass water lines (12" f/g pipe) on these platforms...

they have to withstand hurricans and very bad storms in the gulf , so its made to be very very strong....

jamie

rx7vert
09-23-2004, 10:12 PM
Where in LA do you live? I live in Mississippi about an hour east of Slidell (sp)

ramos
09-24-2004, 06:46 AM
Yeah but what is it ? There's a local place here I used to work for, that makes fiberglass products as well. We were using an epoxy resin that was pretty much the same thing as I can get from a couple different places. But it was alot stronger due to the lay up techniques that were used as well as the curing process. I was just wondering man. Inquiring minds want to know :D :)

XTRMEASURES
09-25-2004, 11:23 PM
not sure the name...
its a back door kinda thing....hehe
a friend of mine works there so he hooks me up, i just give him something to put it in.....

jamie

DBfan187
09-25-2004, 11:25 PM
its a back door kinda thing....hehe
a friend of mine works there so he hooks me up, i just give him something to put it in.....

jamie
So it's like that eh? :sick:

;) j/k

ramos
09-27-2004, 10:01 AM
I was just wondering if it actually was a different kind of resin. I got access to a bunch of different kinds. Always looking to expirament :)

req
09-27-2004, 10:11 AM
ramos - what kind of resin do you use?

where can i get it (from you?)

i just use crappy bondo brand resin, and its fugly color and it fairly brittle. also, where can i get that kyntex 17oz glass? its woven i hope? i hate matte.

how much do you pay for the resin you get? only place aroundme that has is it pep boys... or the internet. i was thinking of getting some clear resing (epoxy?) and using it for a project im going to do (needs to be clear)

any ideas\suggestions? pm me =)

thanks buddy.

ramos
09-27-2004, 12:24 PM
I use a west systems brand quick drying medium epoxy ( marine grade epoxy ) I get it locally from a boat supply yard. I buy it buy the five gallon drum/ 1 gallon catalyst. And it runs me around $100 depending upon who's working at the boat store that day. ;)
I get my kyntex from fiberglast.com, and everytime I order it I always get a couple yards more than what I ordered. And yep woven then the mat and cloth are actually stitched together. It's really easy to work with. Just don't try to make sharp curves with it. It's kind of difficult to work into extreme corners.

Clear resin huh, working with carbon fiber are we :D
Clear casting resin is what your after then. It dries crystal clear and pretty hard. People use it for craft projects and what not. :)

req
09-30-2004, 08:02 AM
I use a west systems brand quick drying medium epoxy ( marine grade epoxy ) I get it locally from a boat supply yard. I buy it buy the five gallon drum/ 1 gallon catalyst. And it runs me around $100 depending upon who's working at the boat store that day. ;)
I get my kyntex from fiberglast.com, and everytime I order it I always get a couple yards more than what I ordered. And yep woven then the mat and cloth are actually stitched together. It's really easy to work with. Just don't try to make sharp curves with it. It's kind of difficult to work into extreme corners.

Clear resin huh, working with carbon fiber are we :D
Clear casting resin is what your after then. It dries crystal clear and pretty hard. People use it for craft projects and what not. :)

no carbon fiber, but that would be quite the show piece eh? i wouldnt mind a nice coat of CF on my box. can i get this stuff at fiberglast.com? i would be very happy if i could get my hands on some carbon fiber\clear resin...

is there really any difference between the resin you use and the stuff bondo sells... strength wise?

and one more question =)

when working with CF, do i cut one large piece and paint the resin on nice and smooth..

resin
CF layer
resin
wetsand to a shine?

cuz the CF has to go on all at once right? :toast:

ramos
09-30-2004, 11:29 AM
I sent you three pm's , my book I wrote was too long for one :D Hope that helps some. :)