PDA

View Full Version : Over-crowding a box...is it possible?

FineLinePimpin
09-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Considering picking up 4 sundown sd 8's and putting them in a sealed box...2 facing to the rear of the vehicle and 2 facing up. Now since they can work in .35 cubes sealed....if I had a box built that was 1.5cubes in the config I mentioned....could it be possible to over crowd the box? I know there's tons of boxes built with a dozen or so subs but because of its miniscule size would it do more harm? Just a thought as I sit here bored working at the strip club.

basswiigee
09-20-2013, 09:42 PM
lol, it would work, can't guarantee sq but it would work... but after my last run with facing subs up and knocking loose my 6x9s and everything else... i had 2 12s facing out and two up, and 2 12 facing into car and 2 back all sounded better than i expected even with the cancelling...

FineLinePimpin
09-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Well they would be going in a 4dr jeep wrangler so I don't have to worry about a rear firewall or deck. But thanks for answering

bbeljefe
09-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Nope.... won't hurt a thing. But why would you want to lock good subs away in a sealed box?

You might as well also take half the spark plugs out of your engine and expect performance from it. ;-)

FineLinePimpin
09-20-2013, 11:02 PM
Because the cargo area is small enough as it is and I actually use it.

bbeljefe
09-20-2013, 11:51 PM
In that case, I'd save $280.00 on woofers and have a box that performs. :-)

FineLinePimpin
09-21-2013, 12:12 AM
Two subs In a ported on 800 total outperforming 4 of the same subs with 1600w In a sealed? Hmmm idk

BrownVanMan
09-21-2013, 12:17 AM
2 ported will beat 4 sealed even with the power difference. sounds odd but giving sundowns subs room to breath is a big thing

bbeljefe
09-21-2013, 12:28 AM
Depends on your definition of performance. Do you only care about SPL? Do you want to reach way down low and still have some volume? Do you want clean and loud bass or just loud bass at 40 and up?

A sealed box is flat... no matter how many woofers are in it and no matter how much power you feed them. In other words, if a sealed box for one SD-8 hits -3dB at 38Hz, fifty SD-8s will be -3dB at 38Hz with 40,000 watts on them. Will they be loud? Of course. But they will also roll off at or above Fs and you'll not get any acoustical gains from the box, so the frequencies where most bass heavy music is oriented today will be where your box falls on its arse... or has already fallen on its arse.

In all seriousness, you're better off IB than sealed. At least with an IB setup you have ample air space for the woofer to move. Sealed boxes.... especially those designed with respect to saving space as opposed to complimenting the driver, do not perform well below the Fs of the driver and usually fall off well above that point. And the SD-8 has an Fs of ~45 Hz, so a small sealed box will be mud below 50.

FineLinePimpin
09-21-2013, 12:37 AM
Well I knew most/some of that and I wiuld like to reach down low while getting a bit loud...without having a 5k watt system and several batteries of course. So I figured since I am trying tosave space just add more subs and since the sd's are a bit shallow I figued I would try it. But honestly my last box was around 2 cubes total and that's as big as I wanted to go. So even with the skar it was a bit on the small side for ported and I was happy...but wanted to try this 12...I know it would shine on a bigger bix but again I don't want to take up that much space. I don't know maybe ill see what the sd 10s need for space and ill try those in the smallest ported box possible.

bbeljefe
09-21-2013, 01:15 AM
I think you'd be surprised with what the 8s will do but for sure, you're better off with a ported box for sound quality, acoustical gain and frequency response. And there is very little difference in piston area between one 12 and two 8s. Plus, you'll have two motors dissipating heat instead of just one.

Loudmp5
09-21-2013, 02:24 AM
Just buy my 2 sa8s

Jeffdachef
09-21-2013, 03:28 AM
2 sa 8s in a proper ported box would work waaaay better for the lows.

Steven2002
09-21-2013, 08:18 AM
If you only got 2 cu ft to play with. Why not get a nice beast of a sub like a Thretcon 2 12, port it to specs and use plenty of clean power? I guarantee you it will sound better than 4 sealed 8s. I've heard 4 sealed 8s and it sounds like ***. No low bass whatsoever, just high resonating punchy bass. You will not be happy with that setup.

FineLinePimpin
09-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Mainly because the shape of the avg sub in a box that size would take up more room than I want Just because of the way it needs to be shaped.

Just double checked the specs and the sd8s only need .5 cubes ported...so I can still run 3 and cone in at 1.5 cubes...before displacement adjustments.

basswiigee
09-21-2013, 12:10 PM
the video in my sig. is of the 4 subs in sealed boxes... i understand and agree with alot of these people but my sh1t got down for what it was, and would run it again like that if need be... i don't know, my sh1t made the windshield wipers jump and all..... and that whole system was under 400 bucks!!! lol (god i'm cheap)
but also my sealed boxes were 1.25cu per sub though!!!!

hispls
09-21-2013, 12:52 PM
It takes space to make bass. Assuming you don't absolutely have to have the extra woofers to handle your power you'd do better with less cone area in optimum box. When your box is really small or if you have to put subs in a weird place, you can expect to see as little as only 1 or 2 10ths out of adding an extra sub.

FineLinePimpin
09-21-2013, 02:55 PM
I've run sealed in the past...had two ed 16 Ov.2's in 1.3 cubes each on the nine.1 in my old Tahoe and it slammed hard and low with no problems. Also back in the day had two kickers in 5 cubes sealed and hit 141.1dbs on the old rating system with 300w. It's just something I wanted to try so idk we will see

des343
09-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Because the cargo area is small enough as it is and I actually use it.

Like said previously I'd save money on the number of sub's and get just a couple and put them in a properly ported box could get the same or at least close in output

des343
09-21-2013, 03:16 PM
the video in my sig. is of the 4 subs in sealed boxes... i understand and agree with alot of these people but my sh1t got down for what it was, and would run it again like that if need be... i don't know, my sh1t made the windshield wipers jump and all..... and that whole system was under 400 bucks!!! lol (god i'm cheap)
but also my sealed boxes were 1.25cu per sub though!!!!

Not as cheap as me and I had 2 american bass xd 15s in an oversized sealed box and they were pretty obnoxious for what it was but still can't deny they would have performed even better in a properly Ported box..

FineLinePimpin
09-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Three 8s ported is starting to sound better. .... now to search for a usable box building program that I can understand lol

basswiigee
09-21-2013, 06:32 PM
three 8s ported is starting to sound better. .... Now to search for a usable box building program that i can understand lol

i agree 110%!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

not as cheap as me and i had 2 american bass xd 15s in an oversized sealed box and they were pretty obnoxious for what it was but still can't deny they would have performed even better in a properly ported box..

definitely ported is better without a doubt!!!!