PDA

View Full Version : Looking for budget 6.5" comp set in the $200 price range.

Bass Face84
09-20-2013, 03:52 PM
UPDATE 9-23-13

Ok so now my budget has gone up to about $300 ( flexible ) and more importantly I have just ordered a nice high powered amp for whatever I go with. The amp I ordered is the Boston Acoustics GT-2200 ( 200 X 2 RMS ).

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_26100_Boston_Acoustics_GT-2200.aspx?utm_source=bizrate_shopping&utm_medium=Product_Feed&utm_campaign=bizrate_shopping_Price_Comparison

So help me look for a great set of splits to pair with this amp in my budget. I want my music to be super loud but clear with no distortion and I want it to have a little spark to it. Don't like music sounding flat or muddy at all. I will be deadening my doors and sealing up the holes. The tweet most likely will be mounted on my door about 5-6" above the mid pointed to the ears. ( on axis I think is what it's called? ) Anyhow, any recommendations that meet my criteria and budget? So far the PHD 6.1 PRO kit is what I'm leaning towards.

mylows10
09-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Just the components and the amp are going to give you what you desire. You'll need to deaden the doors as well and get the correct aiming of the tweets

Bass Face84
09-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Just the components and the amp are going to give you what you desire. You'll need to deaden the doors as well and get the correct aiming of the tweets

I have 12 sq ft of NVX dampening material. I will also be sealing up all the holes in the doors I can. I will play with tweet locations until I find where they sound best then mount them permanently. Basically I just need to figure out which comp set to buy since I can't audition much other than JL, RF, Kicker around where I live. I think the amp I'm going to use will be the RE Audio ZTX-1000.2 ( 125x2 rms @ 4 ohms ) I hope that's a solid amp for mids/highs?

trumpet
09-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Other options to compare to those sets are JBL P660C and MS-62C. P660C is a 2 ohm set made for a bit louder sound than MS-62C. MS-62C is 4 ohms with a good woofer and an outstanding tweeter.

mylows10
09-20-2013, 04:06 PM
I have 12 sq ft of NVX dampening material. I will also be sealing up all the holes in the doors I can. I will play with tweet locations until I find where they sound best then mount them permanently. Basically I just need to figure out which comp set to buy since I can't audition much other than JL, RF, Kicker around where I live. I think the amp I'm going to use will be the RE Audio ZTX-1000.2 ( 125x2 rms @ 4 ohms ) I hope that's a solid amp for mids/highs?

Prolly not the best choice of amps. But it will work if you upped your budget $50 it will give you some better component options to

Bass Face84
09-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Prolly not the best choice of amps. But it will work if you upped your budget $50 it will give you some better component options to

What would be a better amp option? Lets say I up my budget to $500 for a 2 channel amp and a 6.5" comp set. What could we do then?

Bass Face84
09-20-2013, 04:13 PM
I also been hearing good stuff about the PHD 6.1PRO KIT but no clue how much they cost. I imagine they cost alot since the price is not listed. I know focal, hertz and stuff like that is out of my price range. Just looking for options. I want to get something that I will love and last me for a long time.

Bass Face84
09-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Other options to compare to those sets are JBL P660C and MS-62C. P660C is a 2 ohm set made for a bit louder sound than MS-62C. MS-62C is 4 ohms with a good woofer and an outstanding tweeter.

I just looked up the JBL'S they to have great reviews like the polk's do. I feel like if all these people say they like them then they can't be bad. Is that wrong to assume?

mylows10
09-20-2013, 04:16 PM
What would be a better amp option? Lets say I up my budget to $500 for a 2 channel amp and a 6.5" comp set. What could we do then?

Maybe a set of cdt hd 61a and a cdt 2 channel amp. Or even a set of tantric components and sax 100.2 there are a few nice options that can be put together. The massive components are decent but the tweets are too bright

trumpet
09-20-2013, 04:20 PM
One question, which vehicle are these going into?

Bass Face84
09-20-2013, 04:22 PM
One question, which vehicle are these going into?

A 2007 Jeep Liberty suv

Bass Face84
09-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Would the JL AUDIO JX360/2 be a good comp amp? It does 110 x 2 rms @ 4 ohms 180 x 2 rms @ 2 ohms and can be had for $160 shipped from sonicelectronix.com

trumpet
09-20-2013, 04:36 PM
A 2007 Jeep Liberty suv

Something else you could consider is a 2-way set using a 2" mid/tweeter in the dash. A simple adapter plate would allow it to fit right into the factory locations. This would get you more of the vocals coming from up high closer to ear level.

Bass Face84
09-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Something else you could consider is a 2-way set using a 2" mid/tweeter in the dash. A simple adapter plate would allow it to fit right into the factory locations. This would get you more of the vocals coming from up high closer to ear level.

I didn't even think about that. I could really put any tweet there with some slight modification right? Whatever set I go with I will try that location as well. Right now I am thinking to put the tweets in the doors about 6 inches above the mids facing up towards the ears. Just depends. I was looking through your cdt store. Can you do mix match sets? Like the HD 6'5" mids with the tw-25 tweets so it would cost less than the actual hd set?

Bass Face84
09-20-2013, 04:41 PM
Or maybe those ES-20 swivel tweets. Those look nice

mylows10
09-20-2013, 05:10 PM
If you like the cdt or even phd set I have all the pricing. I can't sell you the phd set but I can get you in contact with a rep in your area

trumpet
09-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Can you do mix match sets? Like the HD 6'5" mids with the tw-25 tweets so it would cost less than the actual hd set?

Yes, I can do that. I have a loose pair of TW-25 tweeters in stock.

Bass Face84
09-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Any options I should consider besides the PHD 6.1 PRO KIT for around $300 ( I believe they cost more than 300 but I'm a little flexible) If you didn't read the original post update I just ordered a 200x2 rms Boston acoustics amp so I can pretty much go with anything.

Other brands I am looking at and would like opinions on are

CDT
HAT
MOREL
IMAGE DYNAMICS

anything you guys can come up with?

Timmy13091
09-23-2013, 02:39 PM
ESK 165 HERTZ 6.5" 2-WAY HI-ENERGY COMPONENT SPEAKERS MIDS TWEETERS CROSSOVERS:Amazon:Car Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004943QIQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1379957887&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70)

The high energy coaxials are nice too and a little cheaper

Bass Face84
09-23-2013, 03:32 PM
At this point these are the options I'm looking at. Which set do you guys think would meet what I'm looking for?

HAT Unity U61-2, $399

PHD 6.1 PRO KIT, $300 - $400ish?

Morel Tempo 6, $329

Image Dynamics - CXS64 V2, $299

Hertz ESK-165L.5, $280
( there is also a ESK - 165.5 set for same price, what's the difference and is this set better than the ESK high energy set? )

Now the Hertz set is 120 cheaper than the Hat's but if there is not a huge difference I would obviously prefer to spend less if possible. However I am willing to spend a little more if it's worth it.

trumpet
09-23-2013, 04:10 PM
Hertz isn't supposed to be sold online at all, so I'd be wary of those options unless you're buying locally. Honestly, none of these options are bad. Based on your amplifier thread we listen to some of the same bands, and for me I need a metal dome tweeter to make the midrange and treble pop out like live music. I'm not certain, but I believe all of those sets have silk dome tweeters. I still think for a lower cost good set JBL MS-62C should be in consideration. It's $299, but it's been selling for much less online.

You're going to have to be conservative with your high pass filter with a 200x2 amp. Instead of pounding the **** out of them at 50-60 Hz I recommend 80 Hz, 24 dB/octave, or a higher frequency if you have to use a lower slope. Sound deadening is going to be a must to make any of these speakers sound great in your doors. I applied vibration damper, closed cell foam and mass loaded vinyl on the inner side of the door and bagged pink fiberglass insulation is placed inside the door cavity for absorption. Some doors really require a lot of attention, others, not as much.

tat2bass
09-23-2013, 04:14 PM
I could sell you a set of BNIB Alpine SPX17PRO's for $350 shipped. I listen to a lot of metal and rock also and loved how it all sounded on these when I auditioned them at a local shop.

Bass Face84
09-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Hertz isn't supposed to be sold online at all, so I'd be wary of those options unless you're buying locally. Honestly, none of these options are bad. Based on your amplifier thread we listen to some of the same bands, and for me I need a metal dome tweeter to make the midrange and treble pop out like live music. I'm not certain, but I believe all of those sets have silk dome tweeters. I still think for a lower cost good set JBL MS-62C should be in consideration. It's $299, but it's been selling for much less online.

You're going to have to be conservative with your high pass filter with a 200x2 amp. Instead of pounding the **** out of them at 50-60 Hz I recommend 80 Hz, 24 dB/octave, or a higher frequency if you have to use a lower slope. Sound deadening is going to be a must to make any of these speakers sound great in your doors. I applied vibration damper, closed cell foam and mass loaded vinyl on the inner side of the door and bagged pink fiberglass insulation is placed inside the door cavity for absorption. Some doors really require a lot of attention, others, not as much.

I am going to dampen the doors very well and seal up as many of the holes as I can. I will be careful with the gains and I do plan on HP at 80hz. My Hu is a Pioneer 80prs so I have good active xo's on it so will run the amp full range. I believe the xo on my HU is 12db slope. As far as the JBL'S go I have read good reviews on them but some people say they can't handle the power of the lower model the p600. Is that true? The MS is only rated at 90 rms.
You may be right about tweets. The best sounding speakers I have ever heard in my life by far were the Focal Polykevlar's. My buddy used to have them in his Silverado. They were freaking amazing but VERY EXPENSIVE. I think he paid like $750 for the set or something.

BTW, I may actually HP my set a little lower like at 60 or so until I get my subs. When I get my subs I will run the LP 80 then my comps HP 80. I'll baby all my gear though. I plan on investing a good amount of money in the equipment and install. I want my system to last me for years to come.

trumpet
09-23-2013, 05:06 PM
I am going to dampen the doors very well and seal up as many of the holes as I can.
This can make for an audible improvement, but in my experience the outcome was dwarfed by putting up a sound barrier(the mass loaded vinyl with closed cell foam as a gasket) and also by adding the fiberglass for absorption. I recommend you very strongly consider doing all of these steps.

Welcome to Sound Deadener Showdown | Sound Deadener Showdown (http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com)

I will be careful with the gains and I do plan on HP at 80hz. My Hu is a Pioneer 80prs so I have good active xo's on it so will run the amp full range. I believe the xo on my HU is 12db slope.

With a 12 dB slope you may need a higher crossover frequency. There's still a lot of output below 80 Hz with a 12 dB slope.

As far as the JBL'S go I have read good reviews on them but some people say they can't handle the power of the lower model the p600. Is that true? The MS is only rated at 90 rms.

While I have not used either of these sets, they're rated only 10W RMS apart. MS-62C is 80W RMS, while P660C is 90W RMS. A few people have had one of the tinsel leads break on their MS-62C sets. I don't know under what conditions this failure occurred, but it's possibly it's from abuse by testing the limits on the low end. With a safe crossover setting you can maximize the output and lifespan of the speaker and increase power handling while minimizing excursion. Another good side effect of minimizing excursion is reduced distortion.

Bass Face84
09-23-2013, 06:08 PM
This can make for an audible improvement, but in my experience the outcome was dwarfed by putting up a sound barrier(the mass loaded vinyl with closed cell foam as a gasket) and also by adding the fiberglass for absorption. I recommend you very strongly consider doing all of these steps.

Welcome to Sound Deadener Showdown | Sound Deadener Showdown (http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com)

With a 12 dB slope you may need a higher crossover frequency. There's still a lot of output below 80 Hz with a 12 dB slope.

While I have not used either of these sets, they're rated only 10W RMS apart. MS-62C is 80W RMS, while P660C is 90W RMS. A few people have had one of the tinsel leads break on their MS-62C sets. I don't know under what conditions this failure occurred, but it's possibly it's from abuse by testing the limits on the low end. With a safe crossover setting you can maximize the output and lifespan of the speaker and increase power handling while minimizing excursion. Another good side effect of minimizing excursion is reduced distortion.

Can you explain how to do the foam gasket? Is that basically like a box for the midwoofer using foam or something? I don't really get it but I want to do everything in my power to get the absolute most out of my speakers. I want really great sq and loudness.

SubbyBeat
09-23-2013, 06:15 PM
I love my mb quart qs216

WoofersEtc.com - QS216 - MB Quart 6.5" 2-Way Q Series Component Speakers (http://www.woofersetc.com/p-9956-qs216-mb-quart-65-2-way-q-series-component-speakers.aspx)

Bass Face84
09-23-2013, 06:17 PM
I found the JBL MS-62 set for $218.95 shipped. I think I am just gonna go ahead and order them. The JBL's paired with the Boston Acoustics GT-2200 I ordered today will only run me a total of $408.95 leaving me with plenty of money to get some sound dampener, amp wire kit, and the foam stuff. I need to learn how to do the foam stuff and how to properly seal up the holes in the door. Do I use like Butyl rubber stuff to seal up the holes then use dynamat over it or what?

trumpet
09-23-2013, 06:19 PM
Can you explain how to do the foam gasket? Is that basically like a box for the midwoofer using foam or something? I don't really get it but I want to do everything in my power to get the absolute most out of my speakers. I want really great sq and loudness.

Hang or Secure Barrier Layers (MLV/CCF) | Sound Deadener Showdown (http://sounddeadenershowdown.com/how-to/hang-or-secure-barrier-layers-mlvccf)