PDA

View Full Version : why component?

Beatin'
09-01-2013, 12:12 AM
Why are people so into component speakers? I've heard some component setups where you had a 5.25 or 6.5 on the door and a tweeter somewhere else. I wasn't really impressed. They don't seem to cover the entire frequency range, at least from 100hz to 20khz.

i notice that the mid "bass" woofer typically will favor the upper octaves from 500-2,000hz, or the lower octaves from 100hz-500hz. It's like you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I always thought that you should have coaxials up front that play 500hz and up, with dedicated true mid bass woofers on the doors or wherever to play strongly in the 500hz and less range.

discuss.....

AndrewHD
09-01-2013, 12:32 AM
People like components because they can be ran active with a processor. This lets you fine tune your system for a much cleaner sound. It does get pretty expensive but the end results are great

Jeffdachef
09-01-2013, 12:32 AM
It would depend on the quality of the speakers and how sealed up and treated the doors are. Did you hear a 2 way component system or 3 way? Also was it an active or passive setup? Lots of factors determine how good your front stage really is.

Beatin'
09-01-2013, 12:42 AM
It would depend on the quality of the speakers and how sealed up and treated the doors are. Did you hear a 2 way component system or 3 way? Also was it an active or passive setup? Lots of factors determine how good your front stage really is.

2 ways with passive cross overs. i don't know the brands. Apparently they come with 2 tweeters, 2 woofers, and 2 passive cross over units. I've seen them on sonicelectronix and such. But after hearing a few setups, ehh.........I don't approve.

Milk Mayne
09-01-2013, 01:36 AM
Were they amplified? Honestly anything ran off deck power sounds like poo comparatively.

MANTI5
09-01-2013, 02:19 AM
I've run both and component wins hands down for me. One of the biggest reasons besides sq is I hate having vocals coming from the floor.

bradl79
09-01-2013, 02:32 AM
i have tried coax and i love components , i have a set of the cdt cl-62 with imaging tweets and they sound amazing, you can do more with comps with moving to where u want the sound instead of coax is just there

Jeffdachef
09-01-2013, 02:50 AM
2 ways with passive cross overs. i don't know the brands. Apparently they come with 2 tweeters, 2 woofers, and 2 passive cross over units. I've seen them on sonicelectronix and such. But after hearing a few setups, ehh.........I don't approve.

either cruddy brand of speakers or cruddy install or like the guy said, cruddy power and poor crossover points. Components always win over coaxes if done right.

trumpet
09-01-2013, 11:57 AM
You'd say they were disappointing regardless of components or coaxials if you had no idea what you were listening to. A good sounding vehicle needs good speakers, but good speakers are always handicapped by the installation and tuning. Most people don't know how to tune.

RoYALbLUE08
09-01-2013, 12:21 PM
how could you even like sound if its just coming from the floor?

Trey803
09-01-2013, 12:59 PM
I've got my components running passive. Deadener everywhere, custom baffles. Tweeters are mounted in the top of the door panel and pointed at passenger and driver respectively.

Amplified, and eq tuned with an RTA.

The sq is incredible, tunning with the RTA makes a world of a difference. Same with the installation, this could rob your speakers of anything special they've got.

PHD - USA
09-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Since you are in Michigan, I would love to have you come down to Columbus, Oh for one of our MECA car shows and come listen to some of the SQ cars. None of them use passive crossovers for the most part, and none of them at all use coaxial speakers.

Beatin'
09-01-2013, 02:12 PM
one of the biggest reasons besides sq is I hate having vocals coming from the floor.

I guess it depends on setup. I got coaxials on the dash firing off the the windsheild. It's hard to justify comps when you have all your mid range and high frequencies in your face. Door woofers shouldn't play so high that you can hear full vocals, only the lowest of harmonics.

But that's just my opinion.........

AL210
09-01-2013, 02:32 PM
I've had vehicles with door mounted co-ax. The problem for me was that I could never get the high end freq response quite right.
Remember the higher the freq the more directional comes into play. Having recent vehicles that had placement for separate tweeters in the upper front door pillars has made quite a difference in the higher freq response.

Also as others here have said using a amp really makes a component system shine. If your going to use just the head unit power then expect just so-so performance.

Beatin'
09-01-2013, 05:22 PM
i just don't understand how you cross over comps. You try to cross over a tweeter at 2khz, you're gonna destroy it when it plays down that low. And how the ffff are you going to have a mid bass woofer play a 1-2khz note!?

RokintypeRs
09-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Honestly I'm running coax speakers in front and back off of a Jenson 760 watt/75 watts rms x4 cea-2006 compliant and it sounds great! I don't see the need for components yet. And I just installed a JBL MS-8 crossover on my speakers and it sounds just fine. Idk what you all are complaining about lol. I can see the need for components but I like coax's just as much.

PHD - USA
09-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Honestly I'm running coax speakers in front and back off of a Jenson 760 watt/75 watts rms x4 cea-2006 compliant and it sounds great! I don't see the need for components yet. And I just installed a JBL MS-8 crossover on my speakers and it sounds just fine. Idk what you all are complaining about lol. I can see the need for components but I like coax's just as much.

I know for a fact that using coaxials will not get you the staging that you can get from a set of components. Just because it sounds great to you, doesn't mean that is a properly set up stage and suitable for a sq competition. Though, it is what matters most.

Beatin'
09-01-2013, 06:15 PM
I don't know man.....

If your car has the ability to take coaxials on the dash to fire right in your face, by all means set it up that way and make the mid range cone play down to 500hz.

Considering how difficult it is to get mid bass in a vehicle, door speakers should be set up exclusively for mid bass only. Absolutely no more than 500hz.

I'm not in the mind set that a 2-way comp set is going to cover most octaves effectively. I believe you need at least a 3-way setup, not including subs, before things start sounding pretty.

bbeljefe
09-01-2013, 06:18 PM
It's all about proper staging. You can't get a proper sound stage with tweeters pointing at your ankles. That doesn't mean coaxials can't sound good. Just that they can't provide the same sound stage that components can when they're properly installed.

One reason I think that so many people are against components is that most people don't set them up properly. When you have tweets in the windshield posts or the top of the door panels that are properly aimed, you don't need much power to them at all. I've heard a lot of setups where guys throw stupid power at their tweeters and the result is an out of balance sound that frankly, burns the hell out of your ears.

My tweets are in the factory windshield post locations and they're bi-amped on a 75 wpc amp that has the gain turned all the way down on the channels the tweets are on. They sound fantastic and the sound stage is in front of you, not below you. The mids are getting 100 each and should be getting 200 each while the tweets only need a small amount of power.

PHD - USA
09-01-2013, 06:58 PM
I don't know man.....

If your car has the ability to take coaxials on the dash to fire right in your face, by all means set it up that way and make the mid range cone play down to 500hz.

Considering how difficult it is to get mid bass in a vehicle, door speakers should be set up exclusively for mid bass only. Absolutely no more than 500hz.

I'm not in the mind set that a 2-way comp set is going to cover most octaves effectively. I believe you need at least a 3-way setup, not including subs, before things start sounding pretty.

Really? I think you should have a listen to my car. Plenty of midbass, great staging, great dynamics, and tonally correct. Mids in doors tweeters in the sail panels. Many people make wonderful sounding cars with mids in doors. You just have to know what you are doing. The fact you are so convinced you can't get a car to sound correct with a 2 way set, leads me to believe you don't have the right tools, or you have no idea what you are doing.

trumpet
09-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Beatin, if you have the opportunity to listen to different vehicles that have some proof that they sound good(SQ competition history, 3rd party testimonial) you really should take it. Seek out people who know how and why staging and imaging works in the car and you could learn a lot. I see you have a real interest in learning about audio, but you seem to be getting confused.

PHD - USA
09-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Beatin, if you have the opportunity to listen to different vehicles that have some proof that they sound good(SQ competition history, 3rd party testimonial) you really should take it. Seek out people who know how and why staging and imaging works in the car and you could learn a lot. I see you have a real interest in learning about audio, but you seem to be getting confused.

If he is in Michigan like his account states, he can't be TOO far away from me. I'm more than willing to have him come on over to one of my MECA shows and listen to my car.

whitedragon551
09-01-2013, 09:37 PM
I don't know man.....

If youve never heard good midbass in a car door what ever you heard was installed wrong.

Side Show
09-01-2013, 11:00 PM
meh

AL210
09-01-2013, 11:14 PM
It's all about proper staging. You can't get a proper sound stage with tweeters pointing at your ankles. That doesn't mean coaxials can't sound good. Just that they can't provide the same sound stage that components can when they're properly installed.

One reason I think that so many people are against components is that most people don't set them up properly. When you have tweets in the windshield posts or the top of the door panels that are properly aimed, you don't need much power to them at all. I've heard a lot of setups where guys throw stupid power at their tweeters and the result is an out of balance sound that frankly, burns the hell out of your ears.

I agree 100%. With my tweets in the door pillars a -6 db cut on my crosses creates a great sound stage for me with minimal EQ.