PDA

View Full Version : Help with choosing 6.5

boomh
08-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Alright so I am pretty much new to audio etc..

I have been doing a little research and going into local stores to listen to the speakers I am looking at but the options here ****..

Anyways base on budget and music I listen to, etc.. I am looking at Focal IC 165, Hertz ECX 165, Hertz DCX 165.

Not sure which ones to choose and also I am debating and also seeking help to see which speakers I should get that does good on and off an amp. I am not sure if I want to use an amp to power them or just run them off my aftermarket head unit.

I am open to any suggestions as in using or not using an amp, different speakers, etc...

Renzone3
08-30-2013, 02:10 PM
I personally think its a waste of money to spend money on aftermarket speakers and not amp them.Focal's lower end stuff isn't that great,if I had to choose between the 3 speakers it'd be the Hertz ECX 165's you can get those roughly at 120$ new on eGay.

winkychevelle
08-30-2013, 02:14 PM
Jbl ms 6.5s

boomh
08-30-2013, 02:16 PM
I personally think its a waste of money to spend money on aftermarket speakers and not amp them.Focal's lower end stuff isn't that great,if I had to choose between the 3 speakers it'd be the Hertz ECX 165's you can get those roughly at 120$ new on eGay.

LOL, yeah, I am leaning more and more towards using an amp. Was suggested using a 2 channel and/or 4 channel.

Renzone3
08-30-2013, 02:16 PM
For about 30ish dollars more you can get the ecx components.

Renzone3
08-30-2013, 02:17 PM
LOL, yeah, I am leaning more and more towards using an amp. Was suggested using a 2 channel and/or 4 channel.

A 4 channel is more ideal if you're getting all four speakers.

boomh
08-30-2013, 02:22 PM
For about 30ish dollars more you can get the ecx components.

A 4 channel is more ideal if you're getting all four speakers.

Alright thanks! I'll look more into it

boomh
08-30-2013, 02:25 PM
You guys are probably going to shake your head for this but I am trying not to go towards components because of spacing and dont want to put cut holes in my interior panels.. just my own preference..

Bettr n' Revrse
08-30-2013, 02:30 PM
I am not impressed with the Hertz I have used... I do sell and install a lot of Focal however and have been fairly pleased

boomh
08-30-2013, 02:33 PM
I am not impressed with the Hertz I have used... I do sell and install a lot of Focal however and have been fairly pleased

so between the 3 would you choose the ic 165?

Renzone3
08-30-2013, 02:33 PM
High end Focal I'd pretty nice but I never cared for lower end Focal.To each their own I guess.

Bettr n' Revrse
08-30-2013, 02:51 PM
so between the 3 would you choose the ic 165?

Im listening to a set at work right now and they sound quite nice if you like a metal dome tweet

High end Focal I'd pretty nice but I never cared for lower end Focal.To each their own I guess.

Hertz isnt a bad company just not that impressed for the price...

trumpet
08-30-2013, 02:52 PM
What vehicle do you have?

boomh
08-30-2013, 05:30 PM
What vehicle do you have?

94 honda civic hatchback

calebkhill
08-30-2013, 05:38 PM
Are you dead set on those components.
What's your budget.

Those ms62s that were mentioned are supposed to be great. Never heard them but haven't seen a bed review yet.

trumpet
08-30-2013, 05:59 PM
94 honda civic hatchback

Are you aware the doors take a very shallow speaker?

boomh
08-31-2013, 01:01 AM
Are you dead set on those components.
What's your budget.

Those ms62s that were mentioned are supposed to be great. Never heard them but haven't seen a bed review yet.

not dead set but just the ones I've been looking at and first got referred to listening to them and of course price range..

boomh
08-31-2013, 01:05 AM
Are you aware the doors take a very shallow speaker?

Yeah but I'd admit I forgot to check if there 3 speaker options I am looking at will fit. lol

mylows10
08-31-2013, 01:07 AM
not dead set but just the ones I've been looking at and first got referred to listening to them and of course price range..
none of the component sets your looking at will fit without some spacers in the doors ,might wanna look at some slimmer mounting components. also i agree that the lower lines of focals arent very impressive ,tweets tend to be harsh and the mid bass is very lacking

boomh
08-31-2013, 03:27 AM
none of the component sets your looking at will fit without some spacers in the doors ,might wanna look at some slimmer mounting components. also i agree that the lower lines of focals arent very impressive ,tweets tend to be harsh and the mid bass is very lacking

Alright thanks!

boomh
08-31-2013, 03:28 AM
Now back to square one.... Any suggestions on speakers that will fit my car and as far as price wise I'm looking for is $80-$120 maybe $130ish..

mylows10
08-31-2013, 08:27 AM
You'll need to up your budget but cdt cl 61 sl would be a good starter at $209 new

calebkhill
08-31-2013, 10:24 AM
Hey, what are your stock mounting dimensions.
Cone size and depth. As in, what can you fit in your stock door.

And also, what are you able to do to modify if needed. Cut a bigger hole? Make a thicker baffle or add spacers?..., and how much space can you add before you hit your door panel?

You may be able to piece together a set, if your willing to go used.
You know, those vifa xt25 tweets are what, 30$? And they are supposed to be amazing.
Then you could find you a used mid, a nice one that's known, and fit it in your door.

boomh
09-02-2013, 04:21 AM
Hey, what are your stock mounting dimensions.
Cone size and depth. As in, what can you fit in your stock door.

And also, what are you able to do to modify if needed. Cut a bigger hole? Make a thicker baffle or add spacers?..., and how much space can you add before you hit your door panel?

You may be able to piece together a set, if your willing to go used.
You know, those vifa xt25 tweets are what, 30$? And they are supposed to be amazing.
Then you could find you a used mid, a nice one that's known, and fit it in your door.

I have no idea on depth or what will be need for customizing...

The only thing I know from other owners with the same car as me is 6.5 front 6.5 back. Some websites says 5.25 in the rear.

Jeffdachef
09-02-2013, 06:45 AM
get the amp first then upgrade the speakers later. There's a process to installing aftermarket speakers where you have to make a proper baffle, sealing the gaps in the doors and properly powering them in order for the speakers to actually sound good. Without any of those, you'll feel like you haven't upgraded anything and it'll sound weak and muddy.

Jeffdachef
09-02-2013, 06:47 AM
The display speakers you tried and listened to in stores are in proper enclosures with proper power, they will sound good at the display but wont sound good in your doors if you havent done any of the treatment process or amping the speakers.

boomh
09-03-2013, 03:52 AM
Oh ok, thanks for the advice.
As for amp, I have 3 choices to choose from as my cousin is hooking me up. Rockford p200.2 *amp, JBL amp, than a skar amp. (All 3 amps are 4 channel)

Still any advice on speakers? I dont know any depth etc on my door and rear panels but I do know 5.25-6.5 fit both front and rear.

trumpet
09-03-2013, 01:03 PM
You need to stick with around 2" for the depth, at least with the doors. A lot of speakers will be too deep to fit with the plastic that's behind the speakers, so you'll need to cut the plastic.

naughtyca
09-03-2013, 01:25 PM
I bought this amp for my mids and tweeters and its doing a good job on it $53 shipped from ebay, 4x80w @4ohms and its 2ohm stable with 2x25a fusing

4 Channel Car Stereo Amplifier Power Amp 1200 Watts w Remote Control | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-CHANNEL-CAR-STEREO-AMPLIFIER-POWER-AMP-1200-Watts-W-REMOTE-CONTROL-/181114829626?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item2a2b48fb3a)

parts express also has a buy out for those 6.5 speakers $5 each suppose to do 45hz to 3k

6-1/2" Poly Cone Woofer 4 Ohm 299-609 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=299-609) you can probably run 4 of those on 4 doors and get a pair of supertweeter to run off the other 2 channels

good luck

boomh
09-03-2013, 03:04 PM
cool, i'll take a look at it.

lcbossaliny
09-24-2013, 12:37 AM
The Hertz ECX is one of the best coaxial speakers iv'e ever heard and they get very loud not to bright and remain clear at high volumes.

boomh
10-09-2013, 01:58 AM
The Hertz ECX is one of the best coaxial speakers iv'e ever heard and they get very loud not to bright and remain clear at high volumes.

Thanks for the info!

boomh
10-09-2013, 02:05 AM
Okay so here is where I have found out since the last time I was on there. For depth, If I remove the factory speaker brackets, the depth is 2.025” in the front doors. Without the bracket removed, the depth is 1.9”. If the mounting cup is removed, the depth is increased even more to 2.775”. And the fronts are 6.5. As for my rears they are 5.25.

Since I've been gone for a bit, I've been also recommended Crescendo pwx 6.5, Kenwood excelon kfcx173, Team Tantric Sounds coaxials, CTX65 IMAGE DYNAMICS COAXIAL, Polk Audio db651.

Like I said in my first post I am a newb but trying to learn what I can along the way. With some of the speakers I was suggested, another thing was suggested was getting spacers.

Any input, recommendations, etc..?

boomh
10-10-2013, 03:26 AM
Okay so here is where I have found out since the last time I was on there. For depth, If I remove the factory speaker brackets, the depth is 2.025” in the front doors. Without the bracket removed, the depth is 1.9”. If the mounting cup is removed, the depth is increased even more to 2.775”. And the fronts are 6.5. As for my rears they are 5.25.

Since I've been gone for a bit, I've been also recommended Crescendo pwx 6.5, Kenwood excelon kfcx173, Team Tantric Sounds coaxials, CTX65 IMAGE DYNAMICS COAXIAL, Polk Audio db651.

Like I said in my first post I am a newb but trying to learn what I can along the way. With some of the speakers I was suggested, another thing was suggested was getting spacers.

Any input, recommendations, etc..?

trumpet
10-10-2013, 12:01 PM
What vehicle is this? A Honda Civic?

boomh
10-11-2013, 01:37 AM
What vehicle is this? A Honda Civic?

Yes a 94 honda civic hatchback.

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

So, so far I narrowed down my choices based on reviews, peoples input, and my budget to ID ctx65 and polk audio db651.

Any thoughts and inputs?

trumpet
10-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Yes a 94 honda civic hatchback.

My bad, I already asked you that earlier in the thread. Since you're looking at coaxials you should also consider CDT HD-6EX (http://cdtdealer.com/easy-way-electronics/coaxials/hd6ex.htm).

boomh
10-12-2013, 06:15 PM
My bad, I already asked you that earlier in the thread. Since you're looking at coaxials you should also consider CDT HD-6EX (http://cdtdealer.com/easy-way-electronics/coaxials/hd6ex.htm).

what would you recommend between the polk db651, id ctx65, and those cdt hd-6ex? Also I was thinking of just powering them off my head unit for a bit before getting an amp to power them.

trumpet
10-12-2013, 09:41 PM
what would you recommend between the polk db651, id ctx65, and those cdt hd-6ex? Also I was thinking of just powering them off my head unit for a bit before getting an amp to power them.

HD-6EX should sound great all-around, yet the CTX65 speakers look like they would have the best bass. The Polks are entry level while the CDT speakers are mid-level. I believe those are ID's high end coaxials. They're all going to sound different, and I recommend adding an amplifier to any of them.

boomh
10-12-2013, 10:35 PM
HD-6EX should sound great all-around, yet the CTX65 speakers look like they would have the best bass. The Polks are entry level while the CDT speakers are mid-level. I believe those are ID's high end coaxials. They're all going to sound different, and I recommend adding an amplifier to any of them.

Yeah I plan to get an amp to power them just not at the moment as I am still getting some car parts for my car so yeah, going to be broke. lol But as of right now I am trying to decided between the ID ctx65 and the speakers you suggested HD-6EX. The IDs are more in my price budget. But if its worth the extra money and wait I dont mind getting the HD-6EX.

T3mpest
10-24-2013, 03:46 PM
Those ID Coax's are nice and you will get ALOT of midbass out of them if you treat your door well.