View Full Version : Interlocking Bolts to replace screws/tnuts?

05-14-2004, 03:58 AM
I do not know the exact name of the interlocking bolts that i am refering to, but they do interlock.

If any1 has put together furniture, especially bed frames, you might have encountered this mechanism.

Basically this is how it works.

The bolt hole is cut out the 2 pieces of wood that are to be interlocked.
Lets say the bolt is 4" long.

And your using it to secure the top of the box to the sides, so you can get in and out and change ports.

The hole will be drilled through the long side of the toppiece and the wide side of the sidepiece (3/4" if using 3/4" MDF)

Then in the sidepiece a circle will be cut out to fit the locking part of the mechanism which looks like a cylynder with a slot.

The bolt would then slide in the slot. U then turn the mechanism using a screwdriver, locking the bolt, locking the top to the side.

Does any1 know what i'm talkin about, if so what's it called?

Would have went to homedepot, but since i won't need it for another 2 months, would be a waste ot time, so hoping some1 would know what i'm talkin bout.

**** that was a lot to type! :crap:

05-14-2004, 04:26 AM
IT was Hard , but i just happened to find it!


They are called MiniFix KD Fittings.

Was wondering what u thing of using these opposed to screws?

I think u can get the same affect, if you used a rubber surround.

05-14-2004, 05:05 PM
if theyre anyhitng like my desk they'll still be loose. :mad:

05-14-2004, 08:39 PM
They may wear over time and you would need a ton of them to get a good seal, even with a gasket.

05-16-2004, 06:32 AM
it may or may not work. i've had bad experiences with them. i don't think they will hold up good with the constant vibrations. the reason furniture companies use them is to help with the installation process for the general public. if you want a good interchanging port design, search the forum. i've seen some good ones.