PDA

View Full Version : Hi powered/output 4" drivers or coaxials

Buck
08-29-2013, 11:05 PM
Anybody know any good 4's that play well and handle power? I want to put 4" in my a-pillar if they will sound decent. Planning on 2 sets of 8 or 10 sundown neo pro's, either 1 or 2 sets of bullet tweets depending on what I find for other speakers in the a-pillar. Trying to avoid doing a 5.25, but I want vocals out of my a-pillar.

Bass is going to be 150+ daily.

chefzane
08-29-2013, 11:25 PM
Good luck buck, hehe, I have found dozens in this and 3" but none seem to stand out under $200 per pair new, there are like six or so I am looking at

Buck
08-29-2013, 11:28 PM
Good luck buck, hehe, I have found dozens in this and 3" but none seem to stand out under $200 per pair new, there are like six or so I am looking at

3" would be even better. This is one of those things that I would pay for to get. I really want it and love the idea.

chefzane
08-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Even fewer in 3" lol, I want some bad and willing to pay up to around $75 a piece but that would be for hybrid audio tech's legatia's, those are sq heaven

bbeljefe
08-29-2013, 11:35 PM
I've got some 3" mids that I bought to use in a set of bi-pole surround speakers that I'm not using now. I don't remember the specs on them but I think they're Vifa drivers, 4Ω and they handle decent power. I can check on them tomorrow. I may have four new ones left as well.

Buck
08-29-2013, 11:38 PM
I've got some 3" mids that I bought to use in a set of bi-pole surround speakers that I'm not using now. I don't remember the specs on them but I think they're Vifa drivers, 4Ω and they handle decent power. I can check on them tomorrow. I may have four new ones left as well.

Let me know, bro. Haha, that rhymed :fro:

Slo_Ride
08-29-2013, 11:48 PM
cdt CL-4EX

Slo_Ride
08-30-2013, 03:11 AM
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/speaker-classifieds/583637-hertz-em100-4-midrange-drivers.html

T3mpest
09-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Faital Pro 4FE32 should be small enough for pillars and easily the loudest thing you can get out of a 4inch driver. 91db/1w/1m and it does come in 4ohms and the power handling should be very underrated as it's AES rated. That's alot harder than what car audio companies do. If you have clean power and a steep enough crossover I bet you could put a 100 watt amp on those for demo's and they'd do fine. (200 watts if it's an 8ohmer) Sensativity matches the sundownz pretty closely too since they'd be alot closer to you. Rated up to 20khz, virtually 0 inductance, but a tweeter wouldn't be a bad idea. If you really want to get loud with 4's you may want to run a pair, do a MTM combo in the pillars. It'd bring the impedence of the amp down to 4 or 2 ohms, not hurt SQ much at low volumes and give you an extra 6db of headroom for sure. Just angle them so they are at the same angle despite the height difference and the acoustic center will be the center of the 2, right where you placed your tweeter. It's not a coax, but it'll sound just like one. It'd be the cone area of a single 5.25 coax with more efficiency and have similar power handling too. The MTM arrangement will also beam in the vertical direction earlier, eliminating reflections off the dash up high.

For a 150db vehicle I'd strongly suggest running a pair in the pillars. If any 4's could keep up, these would be it, but IDK if I'd want to try it. It's just really pushing it on cone area and coil size. They also make a 3 incher that is just like it, which is on sale right now for 35. So for 140 dollars you'd have a pretty slick midrange setup using 2 3's per side.

Buck
09-05-2013, 06:55 PM
The a-pillar's can be crossed wherever, like 200 hz or something.

trumpet
09-05-2013, 07:11 PM
How about JBL P462?

Buck
09-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Link? You guys are suggesting, don't ask me lol. I'm the one asking questions in this thread! :cool:

T3mpest
09-05-2013, 07:30 PM
I'd go around 100hz higher to start. 300hz and then work down or up depending how that sounds, 200hz is going to strain any 4inch mid.

Buck
09-05-2013, 07:34 PM
I'd go around 100hz higher to start. 300hz and then work down or up depending how that sounds, 200hz is going to strain any 4inch mid.

Ok that's cool, I just threw a random hz out there, it can be whatever. Are there any 3"/4" that will play like tweets and still down some? I could do 2 sets of them in the a-pillar instead of doing bullets (not really a fan).

T3mpest
09-05-2013, 07:40 PM
The ones I linked will do a good job playing fullrange up top and have more xmech than anything else listed. 3mm one way on a basket that size is no slouch, xmax should be around 1mm, so still 2x the hertz driver. Any 3-4inch mid is going to start to beam around 14k so that's where your going to start having issues. How audible that is depends on the person. Personally, I've been in enough loud cars my hearing starts to drop off around that point anyway, and in a moving car, not a huge deal. Most of these speakers should be able to be used as full-rangers if that's how you want to do it and I would do 2 sets in pillars regardless of using a tweeter or not.

Something OTHER than bullets to think about is ribbons. They are fairly efficient and prefer to be crossed over pretty high. They also have limited vertical dispersion and would match up will in a MTM combo. Since you'd be able to run these as a point source and can cross high they'd be a great match. Ribbons are generally described as very realistic and play all the way past 20khz with ease, without the in your face sound of bullets. Here are some affordable ribbons. First one sound a bit better than the second one, but the second ones cutout would be easier to make by a good bit and that helps in pillars.

My guess is you'd want to crossfire all these drivers, keeping them pretty close to on axis for best results, probably with 15 degrees.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=277-112

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/ribbon-tweeters/hi-vi-rt1.3we-ribbon-tweeter/