PDA

View Full Version : High density fiberboard

Full Tilt
08-21-2013, 11:15 AM
Well, it's that time of the year. I'm a Senior in high school, and that means shop classes. I plan on finally finishing up my enclosure here in the shop, and I had a quick question.

We're trying to get most of our wood from the local lumber shop. My instructor says they've got high density fiberboard, but he's not sure about MDF. Now, would 'HDF' work just as well as MDF? Do you guys know how much more expensive it'll be, if at all?

hispls
08-21-2013, 11:40 AM
I expect functionally it would be better, though it's hard to tell if it's as easy to work with.... though I think MDF really is awful to work with and I'd see what you can get for a good "cabinet grade" plywood.

Full Tilt
08-21-2013, 11:51 AM
I expect functionally it would be better, though it's hard to tell if it's as easy to work with.... though I think MDF really is awful to work with and I'd see what you can get for a good "cabinet grade" plywood.

I'm really curious how much stronger it'd be than MDF...it's probably gonna add some weight, though.

hispls
08-21-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm really curious how much stronger it'd be than MDF...it's probably gonna add some weight, though.

You're going to have to just go for it and let us know how it works.

Full Tilt
08-21-2013, 11:56 AM
You're going to have to just go for it and let us know how it works.

I might make a smaller enclosure for testing...I'd just hate to make a nice 6 cube enclosure out of the ish and have it end up not working as well.

ciaonzo
08-21-2013, 12:10 PM
It's a good bit heavier than MDF. Nice stuff to work with as far as getting sharp edges and other shaping is concerned. Eats bits and blades a bit quicker, too.

Buck
08-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Ya dude I bet that is heavy heavy.

Full Tilt
08-21-2013, 01:09 PM
It's a good bit heavier than MDF. Nice stuff to work with as far as getting sharp edges and other shaping is concerned. Eats bits and blades a bit quicker, too.

Thanks for the reply. Is there any sort of difference in the structural integrity between the two?

maylar
08-21-2013, 01:21 PM
HDF is stronger than MDF, and waaaayyy heavier. It's what high end home speaker cabinets are made with (covered in veneer). If you've ever had to move a piece of furniture like a computer desk that was made with HDF you'd know what I mean.

Full Tilt
08-21-2013, 01:27 PM
HDF is stronger than MDF, and waaaayyy heavier. It's what high end home speaker cabinets are made with (covered in veneer). If you've ever had to move a piece of furniture like a computer desk that was made with HDF you'd know what I mean.

So do you think a 6 cube enclosure (possibly with a double baffle) would get a little too heavy?

GrindFrog
08-21-2013, 01:46 PM
That's gonna be really heavy. A sheet of 3/4" mdf 4x8 weighs 96 lbs. So im guessing hdf is probably gonna be around 150 lbs. Id like to see how it comes out considering I always split mdf =/

ciaonzo
08-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the reply. Is there any sort of difference in the structural integrity between the two?I'm guessing that it's less porous, not sure about that. Seems like a higher glue to wood ratio, makes a higher ring when you tap on it.

Full Tilt
08-21-2013, 04:41 PM
I suppose I'll do it simply for the experience. Thanks for the reply guys, I'll keep you updated as it goes together.

4bannger
08-23-2013, 08:38 PM
From my understanding most hdf isn't 3/4" thick. But from the stuff I've seen it is heavier but just as easy to work with.

4bannger
08-23-2013, 08:39 PM
And also hdf if most compressed and "dense" the Mdf

NASTY08IMPALA
08-23-2013, 09:01 PM
mdf blows..see if you can get arauco in ur area

timbecht
08-23-2013, 09:09 PM
actually i am a woodworker by trade and hdf and mdf is better to build sub boxes with than ply
reason for this is hdf and mdf is denser and doesn't resonate as much as ply does witch mean the box is deader acts like sound deadner and yes i know this to be true i used to be the head woodworker at my local sound shop and we even tested the material against ply and particle board and mdf won hands down

des343
08-23-2013, 09:50 PM
Well I use partical board basically the same thing I'm pretty certain works veryy well and a fraction of the price of MDF only thing is makee sure to pre drill holees as it can easily split....ut if done right I have had no issues