PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Sensitivity?

SuperSam
08-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Hey, So I don't really know how to gauge speaker sensitivity. I've been reading up on it and I have a question. If I have speakers that are 90 watts RMS x 2 @ 2 ohms, and I get a 2 channel amp that is 100 watts RMS x 2 @ 2 ohms, but the speakers' sensitivity is 94 db, does that mean I can blow the speakers with the amp if I turn the volume up? I'm so confused. I know that having 90 db speakers as opposed to 80 db speakers means that I need less wattage on the 90 to get them to full capacity than I do on the 80, but like... I dont know. I guess im just wondering if I have a 94 db speaker system with a 100 watt amp CAN i blow the speakers? Forgive me if this is a dumb question.

T3mpest
08-20-2013, 04:20 PM
No, your thinking of it slightly incorrectly. It's not that a 90db speaker needs less power to reach capacity than a 80db speaker, it's that a 90db speaker has MORE capacity in general, per watt of input power. If it's rated at 80 watts, it should take around 80 watts, only difference is it will be louder with 80 watts than a lower effeciency speaker would be.