PDA

View Full Version : Visor LCD

Twista
05-11-2004, 09:34 PM
What would you guys recommend for a visor LCD screen? I'm looking into getting 2 for my Camry. I have no idea what brand is decent. I don't want to spend a ton of money, because they seem to be going pretty cheap on Ebay. I'm looking to hook an Xbox up to them. Would I want to get a whole new visor, or try to cram an LCD into my current? Can anyone help?

houston281
05-11-2004, 09:40 PM
if it was my car i would take the visor arm out and build some visors for the screens,ive done it alot and you can run wires through the arm,lots of work but nice finish,or you can mold them in to stock ones all depends what you wanna do.as far as the screen,get what you wanna pay.i always say"u get what you pay for".

Twista
05-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Hmm.. I don't know if my arms are hollow. I have no lights in the visor or anything.

Twista
05-11-2004, 10:17 PM
Do they require some kind of power cable? I can't imagine them just running off the video in, or do they? Could anyone recommend a brand?

LBX2G
05-11-2004, 10:25 PM
yes they require power cable. IT is not that hard search the internet for the instructions. There are many ways to do it. I mean you could build a whole new visor out of MDF. Then cover it with vinly. THen put the TV in, that is the easiest way.

Twista
05-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Ok, thanks guys. One question still stands though. What brand? I don't want to buy something that is going to give me a bunch of problems, but I don't need the best quality ever. Just something to play an Xbox on. Would pretty much any brand on Ebay be sufficient. I just don't want a bunch of dead pixels.

LBX2G
05-11-2004, 11:19 PM
got with a farhenheight or a power austoic or a tview.

Twista
05-11-2004, 11:53 PM
Sorry, a few more questions.

In the winter would my LCDs freeze up if it got below 0 outside? I realize it wouldn't be 0 in the car, but it would still be **** cold.

And about the power. Do most pull it directly off the battery, 12v, or is there some kind of converter. I'm looking and all have different voltage ratings. What do you guys think of these:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=205-048&ctab=7#Tabs
Junk? :-/ I saw them in another post and I like the fact that they have no frame, you choose to mount them how you want. Except there is no brightness, on/off control, etc..

Sorry for the stupid questions. I just want to get everything straightened out.

LBX2G
05-12-2004, 10:41 PM
U need to be a good fabricator to use those get the one from site that have the visor molding.

The way to power them up is just tap into ur fuse box. Find a 12 volt source and use a fuse tap.

yeah most visor have a auto turn on and they are only a few with controls .

LBX2G
05-12-2004, 10:42 PM
o in that weather the visor should be ok but just wait till they get to operating temp.

analogkid
05-13-2004, 03:13 AM
look up icon tv ...local upcoming brand very clear and bright. my brother has been selling them at his shop for 1.5 years and everyone loves them. most installs are on brand new fullsize suv's and people drop alot of money into those around here....