PDA

View Full Version : Renewed music interest.

Xhackles
08-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Hello everyone.

I'm pretty new to car audio, but I've been really enjoying it here recently. I mainly listen to rock music with some instrumentals thrown in, but I'll listen to other stuff once in a while too. There is good music in all genres I think, just some you have to look (much) harder to find. Haha!

I have a classic model Chevy truck and it all started a while back when my radio got stolen out of my truck. Previously, I had the radio installed by a professional with just the stock speakers being utilized. At the time, that was okay for me. It didn't sound too bad really, and I was just happy to listen to music in my vehicle. Well, many months after my radio was stolen, I was finally able to get a new one and with a little bit of help, I hooked it up myself. When I hooked it up, I noticed that one of the back speakers was out. That was just unacceptable; so began the quest to replace them.

Because of how old my truck is, finding a replacement for the type of speakers it uses took a little trial and error. My lack of experience didn't help either, but you live and you learn right? So, after deciding that a OEM replacement wasn't sufficient, I ended up getting some aftermarket speakers. To get them to fit properly, I had to install a spacer so that the magnet had more room in the back. Wood worked perfect for this purpose. Once I got them installed, they sounded absolutely great! In fact, they sounded so great, that it made my dash speakers sound like complete crap.

Well, long story short, I replaced my dash speakers as well, and now I think I have the bug. I'm thinking about getting an amp/sub/component setup going. Once I do that, I think I might be satisfied. Well, maybe... Anyway, I think I'll head on over to another part of the forums for some recommendations :)

Xhackles
08-24-2013, 01:54 AM
Wow, over 100 views and zero replies... Alright then.

mylows10
08-24-2013, 01:57 AM
cool story , but thats kind of how it starts .so what are you trying to do with your new system ,and what truck ?

sbelew
08-24-2013, 02:26 AM
Welcome! Thats the way it started out for me, replaced HU because cd player quit working, then speakers, then an amp, then subs, etc, etc. Its a slippery slope the rest of the way, but a fun one.
Post more detailed specs of your truck, your goals and budget, and several will chime in offering you different suggestions and ideas.