PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass bottom only

amedeuce
05-10-2004, 06:22 PM
I used the search funtion but my question is this...
Build a box for said sub except leave the bottom off. How do I fiberglass it and how does it attach to the rest of the enclosure. Is it attached using screws or just the glass and sealed from the inside. Do you glass it from the inside or outside?
do you build it with a bottom (temporarily) glass it from the inside and just take the temp bottom piece off?

InhumanAcura
05-10-2004, 08:08 PM
The first time I did this I was confused so Ill fill you in on everything I had problems or questions about.....

I wanted to glass the tire well to get some extra cubes. I simply took the bottom piece of MDF that was going to be used as the base of the fianl box. Set the base where it would be installed and simply cut out a rough idea of where the glass was going to start downwards into the well. Your left with somewhat of a frail hollowed out square ring? Place the base back where you intended it to go, after you prep the area with tape, foil, ect. and I started at the wood by globbing on some reason for the FG mat to adhere to. Layed down some glass onto the wood and made my way around the wood and then on to the lower most part of the mold. After the mold was dry and cured I pulled it out of the trunk, pulled all the tape off the back, flipped it upside down, mixed up some more resin and poured it on the inside seem between the wood ring and the mold itself to be sure. I even ended up putting about 6 layers of mat on and after the final product was up and running I could see the mold flexing pretty bad.
I would advise either putting some thin ropes where your molding (the ridges of the rope once glassed are supposed to add overall strengnth)
Or what I had to do was lay a piece of fleece down after you lay a few layers and soak (it will soak up a ungodly large amount) but, after it dries your left with something you can park a car on.

Things to remember
1.) Dont use plastic cups for the resin, b/c given a few minutes the resin will eat through the plastic and your stuck in the trunk with a leaking cup of resin.
2.) Buy the large amount of resin, you WILL need it.....
3.) USE A RESPIRATOR, SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!

If I were to do it over again, I would lay like 2 layers of mat, let that dry. Then fleece the inside. The fleece is much much stronger that the layers of glass IMO.

To directly answer your question, the resin is so nasty it will form a bond with the MDF, because it ***** it up like a sponge.....THERES NO SUCH THING AS OVERKILL, so make it strong at first..

TPABlazer
05-10-2004, 09:13 PM
Things to remember
1.) Dont use plastic cups for the resin, b/c given a few minutes the resin will eat through the plastic and your stuck in the trunk with a leaking cup of resin.
2.) Buy the large amount of resin, you WILL need it.....
3.) USE A RESPIRATOR, SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!

If I were to do it over again, I would lay like 2 layers of mat, let that dry. Then fleece the inside. The fleece is much much stronger that the layers of glass IMO.

To directly answer your question, the resin is so nasty it will form a bond with the MDF, because it ***** it up like a sponge.....THERES NO SUCH THING AS OVERKILL, so make it strong at first..

1. youre mixing too hot, I use plastic mixing cups many many times over and only hot mixes will melt, just use the 2 percent method and youre golden. the resin will dry inside no melting and you pop it right out.
2. Yep. buy extra of everything. Last thing you want is to have a cup of resin cooking and no matte, or have all sorts of matte but no resin.
3. I dont use a respirator when im laying resin.. cutting matte and sanding yes, I do my stuf foutside and I barley smell any fumes.

I use fleece ONLY as the base, and mold off that, fleece adds to much thickness for the benefits IMHO that arent that drastic, and I can put 8+ sq feet of matte on a box with 12 oz of resin mixed.