PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed on some 6x9's

YaBoiRawB
08-13-2013, 10:42 PM
First post here but long time forum lurker! Need some opinions on a set of 6x9's for my Corolla's rear deck. I was previously using a pair of Infinity Kappa 693.9i 6x9's until they broke earlier this year (my fault). So now that I finally got my warranty reimbursement I'm looking for a new set around $100. I'm looking for something thats going to provide a good amount of midbass/upper bass. Right now I'm running Infinity Reference 6030cs in the front on a Kicker DX400.4 and a Sundown Audio SA8 v1.5 on a SoundQuebed 1200D.
These are the speakers that I've been considering:

The same set of speakers that I had Infinity Kappa 693.9i

Morel Maximo 69C

I've always heard good things about Morel but have never had the chance to actually hear their speakers. I figured for the price this might be my chance!

And finally a set of Sundown Audio Neo Pro 8's
The question I have with these is would I be able to mount them into the stock 6x9 hole? If not would I be able to make a baffle/spacer to get it to fit? Or would a set of the Neo Pro 6.5's be a better choice?

Other suggestions are certainly welcome! I had Amazon links for everything but I'm not allowed to post them so sorry about that. And sorry if this was a bit long but thanks for reading!

Side Show
08-13-2013, 10:43 PM
6.5" but i'd prob just go for a nice 2-way coax, for the rear fill

YaBoiRawB
08-13-2013, 11:21 PM
Any suggestions?

Side Show
08-13-2013, 11:46 PM
how does the system sound without any speakers in the rear?

YaBoiRawB
08-13-2013, 11:58 PM
I like it honestly. The tweeters in the front play very nicely and get plenty loud and the sub gets gets low and loud as well. I just feel like the mid bass drivers on the components aren't able to keep up and anything above 80Hz or so just sounds weak. There just isn't enough mid bass thump imo.

giltyler
08-14-2013, 12:13 AM
I am not a 6x9 fan but the Alpine type R 6x9 is a good choice for upper end bass.
My Sons Dodge has 6x9 cut out in the doors and we went with the Type S component 6.5" and are pleased with them.

bbeljefe
08-14-2013, 12:57 AM
I have Neo Pro 8s in the doors of my Dodge truck which came with 6X9s. You'll have to trim a small amount of metal away from the 6" dimension or, if you have the space, you can build a thick enough spacer so that the basket clears the 6" dimension without cutting.

I had to build " spacers for the depth of the speaker and also had to trim the 6" dimension a bit to get them in. You'll need some sort of baffle though, regardless the thickness, in order to fill the 9" dimension.

That said... with 200 watts on them, they sound great and provide much better & louder midbass than any 6X9 I've auditioned... so the effort is worth it for me.

SounDrive
08-14-2013, 01:23 AM
You don't need speakers in the rear if all you lack is midbass. Properly sound deadening your doors will enhance your door speakers' midbass response tremendously. There's plenty of guide on how to do so - go look at Keep_hope_alive's build logs

zako
08-16-2013, 03:46 AM
Morel Maximo 5 and 6 inch coaxial versions have good reviews. I'd take chances with the 6x9.

Jeffdachef
08-16-2013, 04:35 AM
I'd honestly prefer high hertz midbass up front so i can feel it, fk them backseat passengers, they get to be next to the sub that's more than enough bass luxury for them.

So yeah I'd agree with the deadening solution stated above and maybe upgrade your midwoofer in the front then use whatever you have in the front as fill in the back.

VWBobby
08-16-2013, 04:44 AM
6X9's can make a lot of or supplement mid-bass very well. They have a little more cone area than your typical 5 - 6" round speaker. I have had great results with 6x9's for rear fill. Nearly every car I have has 6x9s in the rear, either from the factory or from my installs. The 6x9 subs in BMW's and Cadillac's really help supplement the factory highs.

maylar
08-16-2013, 10:16 AM
I love my 6x9 rear fill. Boston triaxials off HU power, and were about $79 from Crutchfield. They play down to 50 hz no problem.

basswiigee
08-16-2013, 10:19 AM
I love my 6x9s and they were like $80 good coax, see my sig for model number