PDA

View Full Version : Gas distribution piping as sub enclosure?

pwr2max
05-09-2004, 01:13 PM
Hey everyone, my dad has access to huge, thick gas distribution piping that he can also fuse end caps onto and make air tight. So how would it sound if i could take one of those pipes, fuse an end cap on one end, and then mount a sub into another end cap and then seal it to the tube? the overall enclosure would be a cylinder.

Acidburn
05-09-2004, 03:47 PM
well i would think that as long as it's sealed, doesn't flex, and doesn't resonate at all then it would work, never heard of anything like that though

pwr2max
05-09-2004, 09:42 PM
thanks for your insight, but yah this piping will not flex at all and it can be made perfectly air tight.

swimfreak26
05-09-2004, 10:17 PM
I think resonating will be a much larger issue than flexing, but why not try it...if you can do it extremely cheap it's worth the effort, I think it'd look cool or different either way.

pwr2max
05-09-2004, 11:36 PM
and if i was going to invert the sub...would i mount the sub reverse from the outside and put screws through the back of the sub from the outside of the enclosure or do i have put the screws through the front of the sub from the inside of the enclosure?

swimfreak26
05-10-2004, 12:03 AM
You can put the screws through however you want. Be sure however, to make sure you have a tight seal all around...no leaks or you will sacrifice sound quality.

ramos
05-10-2004, 10:41 AM
I think resonating will be a much larger issue than flexing, but why not try it...if you can do it extremely cheap it's worth the effort, I think it'd look cool or different either way.

That would be my worry. Wierd strange resonations. But he!! give it a try. YOu never know until you try. Shouldn't hurt anything. :)

JnEsPappa
05-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Is the pipe plastic or metal? Seems like it's gonna be heavy, but I say go for it. I love experimentation.

:cop:

bassfanatic18
05-12-2004, 07:08 PM
Yeah sounds like a good idea. You will have to tell us how it goes...

Nitropyro666
05-13-2004, 12:53 PM
sound like it will be very heavy.....but why not would like to see pics.
danny

pwr2max
05-13-2004, 03:33 PM
yah im gonna give it a shot and ill take pics. The tubing is made out of plastic and can only be fused with big pieces of machinery, and yes it will probably be heavy. Since its the first time, im gonna keep it as a sealed enclosure.