PDA

View Full Version : Most accurate way to design a box

BigSix
08-06-2013, 11:57 AM
If you are going to come in here and say google or search, don't. I tried this a few years back with different programs and they always come out different . So now I am attempting to get back into this. So what is the most accurate way to design a box? Whether its using basic math formulas with pen and paper or some magical software that is 100% dead on accurate. Looking to design a box of about 3 cubes @ 25 Hz to fit my trunk. Thanks!

slvrado28z
08-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Torres Box Tuning Calculator - Software Informer. It allows you to calculate the box and port dimensions for your audio speaker. (http://torres-box-tuning-calculator.software.informer.com/)

av83
08-06-2013, 12:03 PM
25hz?

Mines tuned to 32 and has great response into the mid twenties. You'll lose a **** load of output tuning that low.

clickclickw00t
08-06-2013, 12:05 PM
I like to tune below 10hz for that extra bass.

Seriously dude, you'll be find around 30-34. 25hz you can barely even hear. Unless you're trying to just impress people with how low you can go, its not worth it.

slvrado28z
08-06-2013, 12:06 PM
op you should tune 30-34

bbeljefe
08-06-2013, 12:08 PM
There is no 100% right way to make a box. Generally speaking, a +-10% variation in box size is inaudible. Also, any given driver will perform well in more than one size or style of box. Another thing to consider is that 100% dead on correct is highly subjective. 100% dead on correct for what? Rap, rock, burp box, in an SUV, pickup, trunk car? 200 watts or 2000 watts? All of that makes a difference.

As programs go, I like WinISD (beta). Of course, when you plug TS numbers into it for a given driver and then select, say, ported... it will usually come back with some outrageous recommendation like 12 cubic feet for a 12 but, it does that because it initially optimizes for the driver. In car audio, we can rarely, if ever, afford to design with driver optimization in mind, so we have to compromise and play with different sizes & tuning frequencies until we find an arrangement that meets our wants and needs.

If you don't know how to read a response curve, do some research on that so you'll have a better understanding of what 100% dead on is for you. Because it will be different for me or the next guy.... because again, that's a loaded term.

Buck
08-06-2013, 02:12 PM
There is no perfect way to design a box because there is no perfect box. The best thing to do is find a setup that works for you.

BigSix
08-06-2013, 02:49 PM
25hz?

Mines tuned to 32 and has great response into the mid twenties. You'll lose a **** load of output tuning that low.

its for a audiopulse epic 12" and most my research suggests tuning low and the person I bought it from who is very knowledgeable suggesested this however anything is up in the air

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

I like to tune below 10hz for that extra bass.

Seriously dude, you'll be find around 30-34. 25hz you can barely even hear. Unless you're trying to just impress people with how low you can go, its not worth it.

dont care about impressing people, just want to hear this sub the way it was meant to be

BigSix
08-06-2013, 02:51 PM
There is no 100% right way to make a box. Generally speaking, a +-10% variation in box size is inaudible. Also, any given driver will perform well in more than one size or style of box. Another thing to consider is that 100% dead on correct is highly subjective. 100% dead on correct for what? Rap, rock, burp box, in an SUV, pickup, trunk car? 200 watts or 2000 watts? All of that makes a difference.

As programs go, I like WinISD (beta). Of course, when you plug TS numbers into it for a given driver and then select, say, ported... it will usually come back with some outrageous recommendation like 12 cubic feet for a 12 but, it does that because it initially optimizes for the driver. In car audio, we can rarely, if ever, afford to design with driver optimization in mind, so we have to compromise and play with different sizes & tuning frequencies until we find an arrangement that meets our wants and needs.

If you don't know how to read a response curve, do some research on that so you'll have a better understanding of what 100% dead on is for you. Because it will be different for me or the next guy.... because again, that's a loaded term.

Good points, this will not be some spl monster, just an epic 12" for DD. looking for the best sound quality not the loudest. I listen to all sorts of music and will going in a g35 coupe and also prefer a program that tells me the cutout sheets

BigSix
08-06-2013, 02:52 PM
There is no perfect way to design a box because there is no perfect box. The best thing to do is find a setup that works for you.

I guess I should word it better, just looking for a method to design a decent box that gives cutout dimensions

des343
08-06-2013, 02:57 PM
ive SOOO given up ever figuring box building like you said the computer programs are all different and overly complicated (well the ones ive ever been able to find)

and i got no one to sit down with me and go over all the info and how to create a proper box based on frequency and size i mean i can build them i just cant figure out the specs so its a just build the box and hope it sounds good...

which ive done a couple of times and worked out pretty well depending which drivers i plug into it but still why is it so complicated!! :/

BigSix
08-06-2013, 02:58 PM
ive SOOO given up ever figuring box building like you said the computer programs are all different and overly complicated (well the ones ive ever been able to find)

and i got no one to sit down with me and go over all the info and how to create a proper box based on frequency and size i mean i can build them i just cant figure out the specs so its a just build the box and hope it sounds good...

which ive done a couple of times and worked out pretty well depending which drivers i plug into it but still why is it so complicated!! :/

I hear you man, this was how I was when I first got into this hobby. Now that I understand more about specs and fr, etc i feel like im ready

des343
08-06-2013, 02:59 PM
I guess I should word it better, just looking for a method to design a decent box that gives cutout dimensions

hope you get a good answer beacuase this is exactly what i have been wanting..

i jsut want to be able to put in sealed or ported, slot or areo, desired tuning frequenc, and desired internal size (cubes) lol.. (couple other options would be nice but i dont NEED it) just the basics and the programs calculates it and gives me a box designed to my liking or at least close!

des343
08-06-2013, 03:04 PM
btw that torres program is KIND of close...

but COMPLETELY backwards i dont understand why i have to put in the size of the box all dimentions and such myself i mean basically wants you to put in the information that im trying to find to begin with? whats the point in that if i know that info why would i need a program

05pontiac08
08-06-2013, 03:45 PM
btw that torres program is KIND of close...

but COMPLETELY backwards i dont understand why i have to put in the size of the box all dimentions and such myself i mean basically wants you to put in the information that im trying to find to begin with? whats the point in that if i know that info why would i need a program

you play with putting different numbers in till you find the hz and bv you want/need..

bbeljefe
08-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Good points, this will not be some spl monster, just an epic 12" for DD. looking for the best sound quality not the loudest. I listen to all sorts of music and will going in a g35 coupe and also prefer a program that tells me the cutout sheets

WinISD has a project section where it will give you cut dimensions but to be honest, I've never used it because I started building speaker boxes way back in the 80's, before computer designs so I use a pen and a pencil to handle that part. Also, cut out software only works well with square boxes and I run into a lot of odd shaped boxes that can't be figured on a puter unless you're a cad type.... which I'm not.

But yeah, for an SQ box WinISD is great because you can model multiple boxes with different volumes and tuning and compare the response curves all on the same page.