PDA

View Full Version : Ported box expert question???

jmoon54
08-05-2013, 09:24 PM
I have a Mach 1, 1969 fastback Mustang and I am converting the center console into a sub box for a JL 8w7. The sub will be forward facing and deflect base off of the dash, bathing the front seat in bass. I am building a ported box tuned low. I have four other 8's in the car handling upper and mid range bass, with the console bringing in the bottom....QUESTION>>>???

due to the space restrictions, I will be porting this box completely externally. I plan on running two ports down each side beneath the box, creating the foundation of the long center console. it will vent out just under the dash. What advice is there to do this and get the best possible sound?

Nothing says "awesome..." like a sweet looking box that sounds like crap. I'm weary about running a 15c" port and simply dividing by two, to make them. I'm sure there is overall more surface area and in turn more friction for the moving air. Any insight??

Buck
08-05-2013, 11:18 PM
You can use flared ports if space permits. You almost always run into long ports with 8's so prepare for them to be decently long. Also depends on what kind of music you are listening to.