PDA

View Full Version : Good Mids?

clanderson
08-02-2013, 09:12 PM
General question, I know, but I'm looking for some good door/rear deck speakers that would provide decent highs/mids..

I'm using a Clarion XC1410, which is 50w RMS @ 4 ohms and 75w RMS @ 2 ohms per channel. So ideally, I'd like to get some 2 ohm speakers.

I guess I don't need the bass out of them, so I could care less about how low they get. But I was looking at maybe some Infinity Kappas but am unsure whether to get 2 way or 3 way. 2 way is more expensive for some reason.

Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks!

mylows10
08-02-2013, 09:15 PM
kappas are ok ,get the 2 ways if you get them . also look into the cdt lines

trumpet
08-02-2013, 09:35 PM
JBL also has 2 ohm coaxials.

jeffdachef
08-02-2013, 09:47 PM
kappas run fine off head unit power so They should be fine with that power.

clanderson
08-02-2013, 10:23 PM
I'm getting distortion at lower than half volume with my Alpine HD149BT and Clarion XC1410. Figured it'd be a little better than that, so I'm guessing it's the stock speakers. But I can't seem to find the specs for stock speakers on 2002 Dodge Stratus.

bradl79
08-02-2013, 10:37 PM
the JBL GTO608c (http://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO608C-6-5-Inch-Component-System/dp/B0024JARH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375497309&sr=8-1&keywords=jbl+608c) (components) are 2 ohm, i just checked the ohm load and i got 2.5, they are nice speakers.

as u can see by my setup they are in the rears

clanderson
08-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Are the 2 ways better than 3 ways?
Why so/not?

bradl79
08-02-2013, 10:51 PM
i think if you have a sub, u really may not need 3-way, i think 3-way does both high,mid,lows, if i am correct.

keep_hope_alive
08-02-2013, 10:56 PM
the only difference between 3-way and 2-way coaxial is the extra 1" mid for higher output in upper midrange. both can play the same midbass. it doesn't matter if you have subs or not. coaxial woofers are usually ran full range, good 3-way coax have extensive crossovers to low pass the woofer and then you will hear an improvement.

4 ohm vs 2 ohm is a nearly inaudible difference of 3dB (we can perceive 2dB change and 10dB increase is needed to seem twice as loud)

plus, 2 ohm has much higher distortion at rated power than 4 ohm so it's not something I recommend.

and no speaker will sound "great" off deck power. do you have an external amp currently?

i have the HD149BT and can play at full volume with no distortion.

keep_hope_alive
08-02-2013, 10:56 PM
the only difference between 3-way and 2-way coaxial is the extra 1" mid for higher output in upper midrange. both can play the same midbass. it doesn't matter if you have subs or not. coaxial woofers are usually ran full range, good 3-way coax have extensive crossovers to low pass the woofer and then you will hear an improvement.

4 ohm vs 2 ohm is a nearly inaudible difference of 3dB (we can perceive 2dB change and 10dB increase is needed to seem twice as loud)

plus, 2 ohm has much higher distortion at rated power than 4 ohm so it's not something I recommend.

and no speaker will sound "great" off deck power. do you have an external amp currently?

i have the HD149BT and can play at full volume with no distortion. but that's because my xtant amps are setup properly.

clanderson
08-02-2013, 11:14 PM

i have the HD149BT and can play at full volume with no distortion. but that's because my xtant amps are setup properly.

Really? Full volume, no distortion? I get to 18, with bass set reasonably high and treble normal and I get mild distortion - past 18, forget about it!
Do you use the MX settings? I have it on "Level 2".

As for an amp, I'm using a Clarion XC1410 Amp (50w x4).
The Clarion XC1410 manual says this about setting the gain (High/Low switch):
LOW = when using RCA inputs
HIGH = when using HIGH LEVEL SPEAKER inputs

I'm not using the RCA inputs, so I had the gain on high; but it sounds much better when set to low... What gives?

bbeljefe
08-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Are the 2 ways better than 3 ways?
Why so/not?

You'll need to buy a very high quality set of three way speakers in order to benefit from the added midrange speaker. And I'm not aware of any such speakers in a triaxial configuration. One thing I don't like about triaxials is that the tweeter is always much smaller than it is on coaxials. Also, there simply isn't much midrange you're going to get from a 1.5-2 inch driver. In my opinion, you're better off with a coaxial set with a 1" silk or titanium dome tweeter than you are with a triax with a teeny little half inch tweeter that can barely be heard off axis.

And if you think about it, 90+% of the triaxes you see are cheap speakers made by companies that are known for building crappy speakers. Either that or, as you've found, the triaxes built by a good company are less expensive than the coaxes. That's because the coaxial tweeters are actually good quality drivers while the mini mids and tweets are not.

As for running them at high power, whether two ohms or four, just make sure you set the crossover and gain properly by first testing your head unit for its maximum undistorted volume level. If you skip that step and set the gains by the proper procedure, you're very likely to still be introducing a distorted signal to the amp and thus, the speakers.

If set properly, you'll be able to run any set of quality mids at about 125% of rated power with no problems. If not, they will self destruct in 10, 9, 8, ....

clanderson
08-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Thank you guys, makes a lot more sense now!
Still confused about the distortion I'm getting, and the high/low gain settings on my amp.

Thought my stock speakers were pretty good, I could have sworn there was a little sub back there when I first heard them - but they're just 4 stock 6x9's. Can't find the specs on them anywhere.. But maybe they can't handle the 50/75w from the clarion?

keep_hope_alive
08-03-2013, 01:58 AM
ah, you are using a compact booster. if you are using speaker level inputs then that is a problem.
you should use RCA outputs on the HU to the RCA low level inputs on the Clarion.
make that change first. if you still aren't happy then buy a better amp.

my amps accept the full 4V signal from the HU RCA's and make rated power with <0.04% THD between 5Hz-50kHz.

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

Hertz Hi-Energy triaxial are pretty outstanding. I was very impressed.

HoovaDeuce 82
08-03-2013, 05:11 AM
These would probably be good. I can't say I have heard them but I'm sure for 100 there are not many better 2 ohm coaxils out there. Again this is just a assumption and you know what they say when you assume lol.

CDT CL-6EX.2OHM
WoofersEtc.com - CL-6EX.2 - CDT Audio 6.5" 2-Ohm Coaxial Speakers (http://www.woofersetc.com/p-9392-cl-6ex2-cdt-audio-65-2-ohm-coaxial-speakers.aspx)

DDtC
08-03-2013, 06:41 AM
The gain is set wrong. Thats why you are distorting so fast. Thats a clean deck so you should be able to run it all the way up

clanderson
08-03-2013, 08:31 AM
The gain is set wrong. Thats why you are distorting so fast. Thats a clean deck so you should be able to run it all the way up

Could you clarify? What would be right?
And I originally got this amp because I was distorting around half volume. I'm not asking much of it

DDtC
08-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Could you clarify? What would be right?
And I originally got this amp because I was distorting around half volume. I'm not asking much of it

Gain is meant to match the pre out of your head unit. Head unit raises preout as the volume goes up. Full volume should be full preout voltage. So you should match your amps gain to that. Gain is not a 'power knob'. Full gain does not mean full power, full power with 4v preouts could be as low as 1/4 turn. I think you have yours up to high and the amp is maxing out to early. The amp is overdriven causing distortion

clanderson
08-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Ahhh I see. So using the RCA preouts on my HU and low gain setting on my amp could be better?
Sorry, trying to piece it all together in my head

clanderson
08-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Ahhh I see. So using the RCA preouts on my HU and low gain setting on my amp could be better?
Sorry, trying to piece it all together in my head

trumpet
08-03-2013, 11:58 AM
I don't know how the MX setting works on that head unit, but I always left that off when I was running Alpine head units. This is part of the reason it's distorting so fast. On the amp, make sure the Low/High switch is set to High. Low is for the RCA inputs.

Reinhardt
08-03-2013, 12:33 PM
I got a set of these a couple of weeks ago, they sound amazing and are pretty reasonably priced, but they are 4 ohm.

Amazon.com: Morel Maximo 6C 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Morel-Maximo-6C-6-5-Inch-Speakers/dp/B0035FZJFS/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1375547486&sr=1-2&keywords=morel+maximo)

clanderson
08-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Just ditched the wires and bought/hooked up some RCA's - sounds much better now, believe I just need some better speakers now!
Thanks for all of the help guys!

Also, regarding the MX settings: the only way I can get this HU to sound as good as my stock (even with para EQ tweaking) is to use the MX... :S But I'd definitely like to go without

keep_hope_alive
08-03-2013, 03:43 PM
MX is ok, just an EQ that Alpine has used for a long time. i leave it off because my amps and speakers are set up well.

clanderson
08-03-2013, 11:28 PM
Hmm... Reading about the Infinitys, and they have this "True 4 Ohm Technology" deal, which kind of blows away the notion of 2 ohms. But it was mentioned that it wouldn't really make much of a difference, right?

Also, I can get a pair of 9632cf References for $60 right now, vs the 692.9i Kappas for $100 - is it worth the extra $40 for the Kappas...?
Or would it be better to get a pair of JBL GTO938s? (The 2-way GTO928s have strangely worse reviews)

Opinions appreciated
Thanks again fam

DDtC
08-04-2013, 12:38 AM
Hmm... Reading about the Infinitys, and they have this "True 4 Ohm Technology" deal, which kind of blows away the notion of 2 ohms. But it was mentioned that it wouldn't really make much of a difference, right?

Also, I can get a pair of 9632cf References for $60 right now, vs the 692.9i Kappas for $100 - is it worth the extra $40 for the Kappas...?
Or would it be better to get a pair of JBL GTO938s? (The 2-way GTO928s have strangely worse reviews)

Opinions appreciated
Thanks again fam

Sounds like a gimmick

clanderson
08-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Sure does. But gimmick or no gimmick, they claim a 4 Ohm final impedance

trumpet
08-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Sure does. But gimmick or no gimmick, they claim a 4 Ohm final impedance

It can be 4 ohms when measured at the head unit through the stock speaker wires, or at least that's their findings and the reason for calling it True 4 Ohms.

clanderson
08-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Any opinions on the JBLs?
Or maybe Polk DB691s?

trumpet
08-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Any opinions on the JBLs?
Or maybe Polk DB691s?

I haven't heard them but they're both good options at the same price. The JBLs should sound louder, especially with your amplifier running at 2 ohms.