PDA

View Full Version : Why do my JBL components sound so much better in the back seat vs the Front?

atownmack
08-01-2013, 02:09 PM
I have some JBL Power series 6.5 components in my Toyota Camry without any rear fill (Which greatly improves the front sound stage). Recently I rode in the back seat and to my surprise, the back seat sounds so much better than in the drivers seat. The JBL's were crisp, well balanced, open and airy, and produced a nice, although not deep bass, (I had the subs turned off.) I have the tweeters mounted in the stock dashboard location, and the mids in the stock door location and they are sealed if that matters.

My question is does anyone know how come the back seat sounded so good, and if I can get the front seats to sound that good as well?

trumpet
08-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Speakers will sound very different depending on where you are in the vehicle. You happened to find a better spot than the driver's seat. If you have a way to add delays to the mid-woofers that can help improve the sound of the bass in the driver's seat. Usually this is done with a head unit that has time alignment or with a DSP. The treble may sound better if you mounted the tweeters somewhere else and tried aiming them different ways.

zako
08-02-2013, 08:12 AM
My guess is along the lines of trumpet's view. For optimal sound quality, the path length difference (PLD) from either speaker to your ears should be set to minimum. In home audio, this is easy. You just sit in the center between the left and right speaker. In car this is more complicated, since you can't move driver's seat to the center of the car unless you're driving McLaren F1. So in a modern SQ install, typically digital time alignment is used as well as clever equalizer work. However, a lot of experienced installers will tell you that FIRST you need to place your speakers to minimize the PLD as much as possible, and only after that use the DSP to fix the remaining issues. By moving to the rear seat, you have effectively reduced the PLD, and this is what probably made a big differences. The sound stage sounds more centered, better imagining, better phase relationships, and I guess the sound stage probably feels a little deeper.

calebkhill
08-12-2013, 09:08 AM
My guess is along the lines of trumpet's view. For optimal sound quality, the path length difference (PLD) from either speaker to your ears should be set to minimum. In home audio, this is easy. You just sit in the center between the left and right speaker. In car this is more complicated, since you can't move driver's seat to the center of the car unless you're driving McLaren F1. So in a modern SQ install, typically digital time alignment is used as well as clever equalizer work. However, a lot of experienced installers will tell you that FIRST you need to place your speakers to minimize the PLD as much as possible, and only after that use the DSP to fix the remaining issues. By moving to the rear seat, you have effectively reduced the PLD, and this is what probably made a big differences. The sound stage sounds more centered, better imagining, better phase relationships, and I guess the sound stage probably feels a little deeper.

This pretty much dead on. You were sitting further back, equalizing the distance between each speaker. The fact that you were so far back also added depth to the stage.
Not only did the distance back affect your perception of t your mids, your tweeters also have the same effect.

The only way to replicate this is to get your mids further out in front of you and do allot of tuning.
You can also utilize rear fill to give an effect of spaciousness. Rear fill, if implemented right, can do this very well.