PDA

View Full Version : Port direction

swimfreak26
05-07-2004, 05:19 PM
I'm building a new box, just ordered my fiberglass supplies yesterday and I've got a question now. Right now I have the port on my box facing the trunk, the same way as the sub...but I am going to be using up the entire width of my trunk with my next install which means no room for air to flow into the cabin. For this reason I'm thinking that I may want to put the port facing in towards the car, and the sub back. Does anyone know which would produce better results, and by better I mean louder because it's going to sound nearly the same to me anyways either way.

swimfreak26
05-08-2004, 12:42 PM
anyone?

1 0

swimfreak26
05-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Any specific reason that you would port towards the rear?

I'm curious because I want this to sound good, and there is no way I'm going to patch a 7 inch hole in fiberglass, just to make another one in a different spot ya know....I would much rather do it right the first time.

Also, anybody else with an opinion or that can explain jmac's probable reason in case he doesn't get back on here for a while.

KARLEON
07-19-2004, 11:48 AM
Ok, im not trying to thread jack him or nothing, but i was wondering a similar thing and didnt want to start a new thread.

So if i got two subs and i want to port them. If i want to fire the subs towards the back of my car (firing at trunk) then i would want my port to be facing the cabin? And If i want to fire my subs towards the cabin, then i would want the port facing the trunk?

Which would most likely yield better results, firing my subs towards the trunk, cabin, or fire them straight up?

Slody4Futbol
07-19-2004, 11:55 AM
jmac just said port same direction as the subs...

KARLEON
07-19-2004, 12:22 PM
Ok, im just making sure i fully understood him. I mean, i just woke up not too long ago, and my brain still is a bit slow in processing information. Anywayz, have my port facing the same direction as my subs.

helotaxi
07-19-2004, 10:06 PM
If the subs are going to be firing in a direction where they have no path to the interior of the car you are going to lose the majority of your output anyway. The vast majority of the output of the sub system comes from the sub itself and only around resonance is the port contributing significantly. You want the port and the sub firing in the same direction unless you are going to corner load one or the other and have accounted for the corner loading. Firing the sub and port toward the rear of the car will mask any port noise that might be present, as Jmac said. You should figure out some way to vent the bass into the interior. In my system that way is through the rear deck through the rear speaker cutouts.