PDA

View Full Version : Sealing 6.5s to doors

bmk6795
07-26-2013, 05:35 PM
When sealing 6.5s to the doors should weatherstripping go behind just the speaker, or the speaker and the baffle that the speaker is mounted to?

keep_hope_alive ; I know you're very knowledgeable when it comes to anything door related

trumpet
07-26-2013, 06:09 PM
To make the speaker-to-metal/plastic connection airtight I use rope caulk, or I have laid deadener over the joint as an alternative. Rope caulk is found in the same area of a store as weather strip foam, and it's very cheap. Instead of using weather stripping behind the speaker I would get some of the foam that's thick enough to form a gasket between the outer edge of the speaker basket and the door panel. You're basically building a tunnel to direct the sound through the grille.

calebkhill
07-27-2013, 01:32 AM
Yea. ccf between battle and door frame, ccf between speaker and baffle, weatherstripong around cone/between trim panel.

keep_hope_alive
07-28-2013, 10:47 PM
yep. i have used rope caulk also, great for very odd shapes since foam weatherstripping has limitations with bending.

KChiefin29
07-31-2013, 03:23 PM
Wouldn't sealing the door....technically be a bad idea. Doors are made to have some ventilation and purposely have weep holes to help get rid of water and moisture that enters the door. If you care about the car and it's longeavity/resales value. I would try to seal the speakers within the door...vs sealing the door completely. Probably much difficult to do this, but nothing that a little fiberglass fabrication cannot solve.

This is just my opinion....and knowing that doors on cars do not want to be sealed...just the speakers want to be sealed. Does that make sense? haha/.

KChiefin29
07-31-2013, 03:23 PM
Wouldn't sealing the door....technically be a bad idea. Doors are made to have some ventilation and purposely have weep holes to help get rid of water and moisture that enters the door. If you care about the car and it's longeavity/resales value. I would try to seal the speakers within the door...vs sealing the door completely. Probably much difficult to do this, but nothing that a little fiberglass fabrication cannot solve.

This is just my opinion....and knowing that doors on cars do not want to be sealed...just the speakers want to be sealed. Does that make sense? haha/.

keep_hope_alive
08-02-2013, 04:12 AM

we are talking about covering the large access holes that cause midbass to be cancelled. we don't cover up the weep holes in the bottom of the door since they have no issue acoustically.