PDA

View Full Version : RCA output jacks to amp question

Villainstone
07-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Should be a fairly easy question to answer for people with experience. If a head unit has only 2 RCA outputs (front and rear speakers) @ 2v to connect an amp. You take two 2 to 1 RCA "Y" cables, and plug both rights into one and both lefts into the other Then used a standard car audio RCA wire from the amp the the "y" cable at the head unit what would happen? Would there be any benefit to doing this? Thanks forum.

Alrojoca
07-24-2013, 06:45 PM
It takes 4 RCA's for front and rear channels.

Most 4 ch amps have preamp outputs to connect extra amplifiers and create extra channels.

With 5 channel amps, just flip a switch on the amp and you got 5 ch out of 4 channels, taking the bass from the rear channels.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Villainstone
07-24-2013, 06:48 PM
Not really trying to do anything. I was just wondering really, Wondering if it would give you more voltage from the HU to the ampor do nothing at all? But I should have mentioned going to a mono block sub amp

ryanthie
07-24-2013, 07:27 PM
It wouldn't work, it would be like taking the speaker wires from say a left and right output and trying to power one speaker. It would just short out because you're putting two outputs together. What you're trying to do, in a sense, is bridge the RCAs and it doesn't work that way.

Villainstone
07-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Thats pretty much what I figured. But there is always that chance lol. I plan on buying a deck with sub ouput soon anyway. Thanks again guys.

maylar
07-25-2013, 04:37 PM
You won't gain any output voltage. And you will lose the front-rear fade.