View Full Version : RCA output jacks to amp question

07-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Should be a fairly easy question to answer for people with experience. If a head unit has only 2 RCA outputs (front and rear speakers) @ 2v to connect an amp. You take two 2 to 1 RCA "Y" cables, and plug both rights into one and both lefts into the other Then used a standard car audio RCA wire from the amp the the "y" cable at the head unit what would happen? Would there be any benefit to doing this? Thanks forum.

07-24-2013, 06:45 PM
It takes 4 RCA's for front and rear channels.

Most 4 ch amps have preamp outputs to connect extra amplifiers and create extra channels.

With 5 channel amps, just flip a switch on the amp and you got 5 ch out of 4 channels, taking the bass from the rear channels.

What exactly are you trying to do?

07-24-2013, 06:48 PM
Not really trying to do anything. I was just wondering really, Wondering if it would give you more voltage from the HU to the ampor do nothing at all? But I should have mentioned going to a mono block sub amp

07-24-2013, 07:27 PM
It wouldn't work, it would be like taking the speaker wires from say a left and right output and trying to power one speaker. It would just short out because you're putting two outputs together. What you're trying to do, in a sense, is bridge the RCAs and it doesn't work that way.

07-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Thats pretty much what I figured. But there is always that chance lol. I plan on buying a deck with sub ouput soon anyway. Thanks again guys.

07-25-2013, 04:37 PM
You won't gain any output voltage. And you will lose the front-rear fade.