PDA

View Full Version : AERO port different lengths??

SubieSPL_Maniac
07-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Hey guys, so I'm about to build my first box with an aero port in it and I need some help. I used the12volt to calculate the length of my port based on how big the diameter was. I'm going with either a 6" or 8" but i want to know what the difference is. The calculator told me that the 6" aero port tuned to 34hz would need to be 6.2" long where as the 8" aero port would need to be 13" long. what is the difference?

My set up is an audioque hdc3 18 in a 6.2cft box.

pro-rabbit
07-24-2013, 11:18 AM
HDC3 18 will want 2 6" ports if you are using the PSP ports they do not make an 8"

If you are building them yourself then you will need to flare each end of the port.

As for the difference, it is port area.

The more port area you have the longer the port will need to be.

SubieSPL_Maniac
07-24-2013, 02:54 PM
Which is better for spl 2 6" or 1 8"?

bgowdy31
07-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Hey guys, so I'm about to build my first box with an aero port in it and I need some help. I used the12volt to calculate the length of my port based on how big the diameter was. I'm going with either a 6" or 8" but i want to know what the difference is. The calculator told me that the 6" aero port tuned to 34hz would need to be 6.2" long where as the 8" aero port would need to be 13" long. what is the difference?

My set up is an audioque hdc3 18 in a 6.2cft box.

i used the 2 6's in my last build with a hdc3 18, my box was also 6.1 or .2 cubes. people say that 1 port is more efficient then 2 ports, so i would try the 8" and see how it does. Im about to get my old hdc3 18(hopefully), im putting in 6cubes and going to run 1 10" aeroport with it, and about 3.2k-4krms to it.

SubieSPL_Maniac
07-24-2013, 07:57 PM
i used the 2 6's in my last build with a hdc3 18, my box was also 6.1 or .2 cubes. people say that 1 port is more efficient then 2 ports, so i would try the 8" and see how it does. Im about to get my old hdc3 18(hopefully), im putting in 6cubes and going to run 1 10" aeroport with it, and about 3.2k-4krms to it.

did the 2 6" ports bump tho? and hit hte LOWS..? and how much power were you giving it?

bgowdy31
07-24-2013, 09:02 PM
did the 2 6" ports bump tho? and hit hte LOWS..? and how much power were you giving it?

my set up was a hdc3 18 on a planet audio bb2400.1 @ 1ohm(probly about 600 rms after imp rise & voltage drop with my stock electrical and 4ga power wire lulz),, my box was 6.2 cubes net tuned to 38hz, with 2 6" aeros, it sounded good to my liking atleast, it played down to about 32hz pretty good but also played up to 53hz really good(my blazer peaks at 53hz is why). but with stock electrical, 4g wire, 600rms, on term lab i did a 147.6db on a 30 sec music ave(no burp) in the kick, and 146.xxdb on a 30 second music average(no burp) on the dash. not to shabby for what it was

bgowdy31
07-24-2013, 09:08 PM

if you want it to dig lower( as in lower then mine), then just tune the enclosure lower so it will have my authority on lower notes. if thats what you want id tune around 32hz

SubieSPL_Maniac
07-24-2013, 10:45 PM
my set up was a hdc3 18 on a planet audio bb2400.1 @ 1ohm(probly about 600 rms after imp rise & voltage drop with my stock electrical and 4ga power wire lulz),, my box was 6.2 cubes net tuned to 38hz, with 2 6" aeros, it sounded good to my liking atleast, it played down to about 32hz pretty good but also played up to 53hz really good(my blazer peaks at 53hz is why). but with stock electrical, 4g wire, 600rms, on term lab i did a 147.6db on a 30 sec music ave(no burp) in the kick, and 146.xxdb on a 30 second music average(no burp) on the dash. not to shabby for what it was

that's dope for 600rms. And you should def get the big 3 upgrade, it makes a huge difference. I have a single 12 type r in a 3.5 box tuned to 33hz now and when i did the big 3 it really hit the LOWWS. I could feel it in my chest.
But I think 38hz would be too high for me i like the low lows. id prob tune it to 34 35 maxx. but i heard that the hdc3 18 can hit the lows real well even if tuned higher because of surface area? idk this is going to be my first 18. Anyways when you did the 2 6" aero ports did you split the length of the total calculated port length in half and do half for each 6" aero port. for example, since the12volt told me that my port length needed to be 6.2" would i need to make 2 6" diameter ports 3.1" long??

Silverado SS
07-24-2013, 11:01 PM
that's dope for 600rms. And you should def get the big 3 upgrade, it makes a huge difference. I have a single 12 type r in a 3.5 box tuned to 33hz now and when i did the big 3 it really hit the LOWWS. I could feel it in my chest.
But I think 38hz would be too high for me i like the low lows. id prob tune it to 34 35 maxx. but i heard that the hdc3 18 can hit the lows real well even if tuned higher because of surface area? idk this is going to be my first 18. Anyways when you did the 2 6" aero ports did you split the length of the total calculated port length in half and do half for each 6" aero port. for example, since the12volt told me that my port length needed to be 6.2" would i need to make 2 6" diameter ports 3.1" long??

Any thought of a different sub? Not saying either are bad but HDC and Type Rs are not known for there low end although they can play it. Type rs sound strong above 35hz IMO.

bgowdy31
07-24-2013, 11:16 PM

i mean that was before. in past few months before i turned and sold everything i did some "re-modeling" lol... i did the big 3, got a 220 dc power alt, 4 runs of 0 gauge wire(2 + & 2 -) front to back, and some deka agm's. i sold my amp and sub but i kept my electrical stuff tho. im about to hopefully buy back my HDC3 18 tho lol

SubieSPL_Maniac
07-24-2013, 11:33 PM
Any thought of a different sub? Not saying either are bad but HDC and Type Rs are not known for there low end although they can play it. Type rs sound strong above 35hz IMO.

well the only other sub i seen in that power and price range i was looking at is the fi bl 18 and even that is a little high on the price. ive never really had experience with either fi, or aq but from what ive read online ppl talk alot about how much power the aq can handle and i figure if it can handle more power than it can move more air. idk. the only sub ive had experience with is the 12" alpine type r. the one I have now is the new one, and its not even mine, its my cousin's. he lent it to me because he switched cars. But i've built about 3 different boxes for this sub and really like the LOW notes. i need more flex and more bass so im jumping straight to an 18. but do you have any suggestions on subs?? i'd like to keep it around 300 even though shipping is a *****

Silverado SS
07-24-2013, 11:39 PM
well the only other sub i seen in that power and price range i was looking at is the fi bl 18 and even that is a little high on the price. ive never really had experience with either fi, or aq but from what ive read online ppl talk alot about how much power the aq can handle and i figure if it can handle more power than it can move more air. idk. the only sub ive had experience with is the 12" alpine type r. the one I have now is the new one, and its not even mine, its my cousin's. he lent it to me because he switched cars. But i've built about 3 different boxes for this sub and really like the LOW notes. i need more flex and more bass so im jumping straight to an 18. but do you have any suggestions on subs?? i'd like to keep it around 300 even though shipping is a *****

BL is actually a great SQL sub but will not likely have the output of the HDC. Its all about your taste and what you want, I would go to a local audio meet and hear and feel some things out. I would buy used but if you need new I would do XFL for SPL and FI BL for good output and SQ. I would buy the FI as I'm a SQL kinda guy but like I said our suggestions will only go so far its all about what you like

IonRL205
07-24-2013, 11:47 PM
How low are you trying to play? Like low 20s? High 20s?

bgowdy31
07-24-2013, 11:47 PM

trust me, they will play low if you want them to. ive seen them dig down before. i had mine in a 4th order c-pillliar walll that was thrown together and it was tuned for like 30hz, and it play hard down to 20hz, i burped it at like 16hz to see what it sounded like for sh1ts and giggles and it sounded really good actually

SubieSPL_Maniac
07-24-2013, 11:56 PM
I like to play songs that can really hit the lowws like 25-35 hz songs that just flexx everything..

SubieSPL_Maniac
07-25-2013, 12:01 AM
trust me, they will play low if you want them to. ive seen them dig down before. i had mine in a 4th order c-pillliar walll that was thrown together and it was tuned for like 30hz, and it play hard down to 20hz, i burped it at like 16hz to see what it sounded like for sh1ts and giggles and it sounded really good actually

i agree the set up i have now with the type r 12 flexxes my steering wheel playing "cooking crack" (decaf) coke boy. (which is exactly the type of lows i like to play)

IonRL205
07-25-2013, 12:10 AM
i agree the set up i have now with the type r 12 flexxes my steering wheel playing "cooking crack" (decaf) coke boy. (which is exactly the type of lows i like to play)

Love that song

Drops to 23 hz btw

Silverado SS
07-25-2013, 12:10 AM

No I agree they "can" dig low well set up correctly. That's just my opinion I have heard some good some bad HDCs, but would like to hear a set up like you had

Silverado SS
07-25-2013, 12:12 AM
Love that song

Drops to 23 hz btw

Where can I download this magic decaf zips? I guess I'll give in and try it out other then demos and ish I heard

05pontiac08
07-25-2013, 12:01 PM
No I agree they "can" dig low well set up correctly.

for sure! i had 2 of the 600rms gray type r's on a kicker dx1000.1 in a 3 cbft sealed box in the trunk of my old regal gs (R.I.P) and the way the trunk was i had it set up like a 4th order with the center arm/cup rest in the backseat being the port. and its was quite amazing how bad the entire car would rattle even with everything dynomated, trunk lid would seriously jump up a good inch on certain notes. wish i still had my old phone id upload some vids on here

SubieSPL_Maniac
07-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Where can I download this magic decaf zips? I guess I'll give in and try it out other then demos and ish I heard

RAM Designs - Decaf Music (http://www.ram-designs.com/decaf/)

i think its down for a lil while though

SubieSPL_Maniac
07-25-2013, 03:29 PM
this is probably obvious but for the 2 6" aero ports did you split the total port length in half for each port??

05pontiac08
07-26-2013, 08:32 AM
this is probably obvious but for the 2 6" aero ports did you split the total port length in half for each port??

Products Menu (http://www.psp-inc.com/tools.html)

just had the same question answered a couple days ago. 2 ports have to be twice as long compared to 1 of the same diameter

SubieSPL_Maniac
08-01-2013, 11:10 PM
thank you

SubieSPL_Maniac
08-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Aero Port Box Build Help - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuEjZ1KiSds&feature=youtu.be)