PDA

View Full Version : my door speakers aren't loud enough

Beatin'
07-17-2013, 12:36 PM
A while back I bought some kenwood dual cone 5.25's. Yesterday, my left tweeter started cutting out, so I tried something. I put the balance on the left, holy crap that kenwood can't play loud at all. They can get the highs well enough but everything else is literally non existent. I had no idea that the tweeters on the dash were pretty much doing all the work.

What makes them so inefficient? I notice the kenwoods have smaller motors and much tighter suspensions than my factory infiniti's. Is that the reason?

trumpet
07-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Get some better quality speakers and the response will be improved on the same power.

OldManBass
07-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Your doors need to be properly treated to get the most out of your midbasses, sometimes to get ANYTHING worthwhile out of them.

I don't know those Kenwoods well enough to tell you if they are any good or not... but most speakers require more than headunit power to really shine as well... are they amped?

Beatin'
07-17-2013, 02:09 PM
Your doors need to be properly treated to get the most out of your midbasses, sometimes to get ANYTHING worthwhile out of them.

I don't know those Kenwoods well enough to tell you if they are any good or not... but most speakers require more than headunit power to really shine as well... are they amped?

factory amped.

The tweeters tear **** up. The doors just can't. I put in one factory infiniti back in and I notice that it's a little bit louder overall, but not by much. Must be lack of power. If I took both door speakers out, you wouldn't even know it, because the tweeters are so loud and clear. wtf......

ciaonzo
07-17-2013, 02:13 PM
God dammit....

OldManBass
07-17-2013, 02:57 PM
factory amped.

The tweeters tear **** up. The doors just can't. I put in one factory infiniti back in and I notice that it's a little bit louder overall, but not by much. Must be lack of power. If I took both door speakers out, you wouldn't even know it, because the tweeters are so loud and clear. wtf......

Probably need to treat the doors and amp them... tweeters generally need less power to get loud.

mlstrass
07-18-2013, 05:32 AM
um, your tweeters alone are NOT that loud at all....

Get better comps, put some real power to them, then they'll be loud.

Beatin'
07-19-2013, 11:21 AM
um, your tweeters alone are NOT that loud at all.....

yes they are. Dude, I have 3 tweeters on the dash, I took out 2 of them and the remaining tweeter takes a dump on the door speakers. It is doing ALL the work. Must be an efficiency or power issue.

Nut Hair Trick
07-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Your tweeters don't require more than 5watts to get loud. If you want clarity and loudness from your mids, you need to treat your doors and put some external power to them. What I did to kill my doors, was put sound deader on the interior and exterior sheet metal, added a layer of closed-cell foam over the whole door, then a layer of mass loaded vinyl. The mass loaded vinyl and CCF I glued together and cut it to where it fits just inside the door panel. You will be amazed of the difference. I don't know anything about the Kenwood comps, but you could possibly need to go a different route there. Although I said that you don't need more than 5 watts for your tweets to operate, I still have a 100x2 amp to my tweets, and a 100x2 amp to my mids.

mlstrass
07-20-2013, 03:24 AM
yes they are. Dude, I have 3 tweeters on the dash, I took out 2 of them and the remaining tweeter takes a dump on the door speakers. It is doing ALL the work. Must be an efficiency or power issue.

3 tweeters in the dash, you're a madman :crazy:

Unless your tweeters are playing full range they do NOT put out a lot of sound. Even then they should not come close to being louder then a set of coax's. Something is wrong in your set up...

Jeffdachef
07-20-2013, 05:59 AM
good crossed over tweeters shouldnt play into mid range at all... it's just cymbals, bells, some synths and other outworldly sounds to make your sound stage seem wider, if your hearing a lot of vocals and deeper instruments from yoru tweets, something is really wrong with your setup.

Beatin'
07-20-2013, 12:14 PM
they are factory infiniti tweeters.

2 of them on the left and right are 2-way. It's a 3.5in cone and a little 1in on top. The 3rd tweeter is a spatial imaging tweeter in the middle of the dash and it only consists of a 2in cone.

mlstrass
07-22-2013, 12:57 AM
so you have "full range" speakers, not tweeters. That would make a diff....