PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded equipment, worse sound

mjboss
07-11-2013, 11:43 PM
I bought a new 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport with the stock/base model sound system this weekend. Today I had a new Pioneer AppRadio 3 and 4 Alpine 6.5 speakers installed.... and it sounds terrible. There is no depth or "warmth" to the sound, no vibrations so to speak, the music sounds like it's coming from an elevator speaker. It could be the EQ but I messed with that for 45 minutes and am still not getting even the sound I had with the stock system. Any ideas?

mylows10
07-11-2013, 11:44 PM
deaden the doors and seal off the speakers from the door panel

gckless
07-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Are you sure it's not just settings somewhere? Check, and pay attention to your HPF and your EQ settings. Who did the install? If it was a shop you may want to pop off the door panel and check their work, if they are behind a door panel.

Lowlacs
07-11-2013, 11:53 PM
Probably a polarity problem. Try fading to one speaker alone and see if it comes to life.

Jes 42
07-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Yeah may be out of phase somewhere.Check your negative and positive connections.Put fader to the front and use the balance to see if one speaker sounds diff than the other.Should be able to tell that way.

keep_hope_alive
07-12-2013, 12:43 AM
I agree that phase as well as a lack of seals will cause this problem.

replacing speakers is more involved than simple drop-in. the factory speakers have perfect seals against the door panel. note the door panel is the front of the speaker enclosure and should be treated as a speaker baffle.

many Chrysler vehicles have factory amplifiers which need to be properly fed. did you intend to bypass any factory amplification?

mjboss
07-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the help... couple things so far

a) The speakers are not in the door panel, they are in the roll bar and dash, and the shop used Dynamax to dampen

b) No factory amp bypassed.

c) I also posted this on the Wrangler forum for audio equipment and everyone there said I needed to add an amp because the speakers weren't getting enough power. This being an audio specific site I'm assuming the folks here know more. Would anyone suggest adding an amp to solve the problem? The HU is 14 RMS / 80 Peak, the speakers are 80 RMS / 240 Peak.

I will give the fade thing a try for polarity, but I can't go in and check connections on my own, I am not that knowledgable, and the front speakers require the dash be removed and I am not up for getting into all that. If the fading issue seem to be the problem, I am assuming I can bring this back to Best Buy and present the findings? Any suggestions there?

NoLoud4U
07-12-2013, 10:55 AM
1st issue I see is Best Buy. Amping them will help a lot. Check the settings, check the phase.

johnthompson
07-12-2013, 11:05 AM
I'm gonna bet that an amp would solve your problem. most alpine speakers sound best when amped

mjboss
07-12-2013, 11:14 AM
1st issue I see is Best Buy. Amping them will help a lot. Check the settings, check the phase.

Yeah I am not arguing the Best Buy issue but you live in Va. Beach (I used to live there) and I live in Cincinnati... finding someone quality in this city for this kind of work is daunting at best. It's just not like some of the other cities out there, midwestern mid-sized city people just don't upgrade like coast cities and stuff do, it's a real pain. I would do it myself but I don't trust it, I'm more of an outdoor guy not an audio guy so I really just never learned. Thanks for the tips.

NoLoud4U
07-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Yeah I am not arguing the Best Buy issue but you live in Va. Beach (I used to live there) and I live in Cincinnati... finding someone quality in this city for this kind of work is daunting at best. It's just not like some of the other cities out there, midwestern mid-sized city people just don't upgrade like coast cities and stuff do, it's a real pain. I would do it myself but I don't trust it, I'm more of an outdoor guy not an audio guy so I really just never learned. Thanks for the tips.

There is only one shop around here I would let touch my car and its only one of those techs. I'll be watching every minute of his work.

mjboss
07-12-2013, 12:24 PM
What size amp would you suggest? Alpine Speakers with 80 RMS / 240 RMS

NoLoud4U
07-12-2013, 12:39 PM
This would make a night and day difference. Its cheap and coming from a good dealer, it wont tax the Jeep either
Alpine MRP-F300 V-Power Series 4-channel car amplifier — 50 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRPF300/Alpine-MRP-F300.html?tp=115&awkw=25287330265&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=6488230345&awdv=c)

Josef344
07-12-2013, 12:42 PM
A class A/B are the best when it comes to sound quality.
There's also this: Alpine MRP-F550 4/3/2-Channel Amplifier - Alpine - Car Toys (http://www.cartoys.com/Products/product.cfm/carstereo/alpine_mrp_f550/?rdr=t)
It should match up with your Alpine 6.5s perfectly.
There's a lot of amps that have that.
Also if possible, it's best if you, yourself, will do the install.
It's better to learn what you've did wrong that to pay somebody to do the install that mess up what they do.

mjboss
07-12-2013, 12:47 PM
This would make a night and day difference. Its cheap and coming from a good dealer, it wont tax the Jeep either
Alpine MRP-F300 V-Power Series 4-channel car amplifier — 50 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRPF300/Alpine-MRP-F300.html?tp=115&awkw=25287330265&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=6488230345&awdv=c)

Just ordered the amp, could this also power a 10" sub? or no

Lowlacs
07-12-2013, 12:54 PM
No doubt Amping the speakers will get u loud but u should first address the problem. No matter what aftermarket speakers were used they should atleast match or exceed the factory sounds.

Each manufacturer uses their own crazy color coded wires for positive/negitve connections and its easy to get it wrong especially when u factor in the "high school" or inept installers at best buy. By Fading and using the balance settings on ur tuner u are isolating front to rear and/or indavidual speakers. When wired out of phase each speaker will play fine on its own(usually) but when paired with a speaker of CORRECT polarity they will work against each other causing a lack of sound and eventually damage to all components involved. By doin this u should be able to isolate the prob atleast to the front or the rear thus telling u where to start. The 12voltdotcom has a vast vehicle wiring section that will give u the info you need to check, verify or repair any polarity issues u may have. This Should be where u start and then if everything has tested to be "ok" u might consider an amp. Hope this helps.