PDA

View Full Version : How many layers...

molurus73
05-04-2004, 11:06 PM
I have made a mold of my spare tire well. I am curious as to how many layers I would need before I add the baffle on top? There are 2 layers of mat right now. Would that be sufficient or should I go to like 3 or 4 layers? Thanks, Jim

Acidburn
05-04-2004, 11:36 PM
i think 5 or 6 would be good, maybe more, just make sure it doesnt flex at all when you try to bend it or anything

ramos
05-05-2004, 06:56 AM
Depends on what weight of mat and or cloth your using :)

TPABlazer
05-05-2004, 11:43 AM
depends on type of glass, wieght, and wether its a flat curved...

just think of it like this.. can you park your car on it?

swimfreak26
05-06-2004, 03:52 PM
I can't remember where, but I've heard that 4 to 5 layers will support a car. I would look at how thick it is because it depends on how much resin you used, and judge from there...3 layers would be my reccomendation, but if it's got the support of the tire well around it you may not even need that.

An example for you...
Go look at your bath tub and see how thick it is, then stand on it and realize that it's not flexing...it boggles my mind how so little can do so much, but I just think of the bathtub and realize it's true.

ramos
05-07-2004, 07:39 AM
But you have to know what kind and weight of mat to know how many layers. 5 layers of 17oz biaxial will hold a cement truck. Where as 5 layers of 5oz stranded mat may only hold the weight of a human before cracking. :)